Register now to get rid of these ads!

62-65 Fairlane Headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6t5frlane, Jun 2, 2009.

1. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I'm trying to decide between the Hooker 6134 and the Dougs D662Y headers. Any early fairlane owners use the Doug's ?? I've heard that the Hookers fit pretty well but they are big. Thanks in advance.............

2. prime mover

prime mover

I didnt think the hookers were that big, I had them on my fairlane they did fit awesome.but they are still only available in super comp.

3. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Prime, Did you have stock shock towers? I think the hookers are 1 3/4

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

5. I'm interested as well. I will be needing headers for my 65 Fairlane soon. As of right now, I still have my strut towers.

6. awelker

awelker

I have the hooker 6134 super comps on my 63 fairlane. They fit very well with stock shock towers, I can take a picture if you want.

7. The Doug's fit real well but I may be prejudiced :rolleyes:

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I priced out the Dougs ( coated ) and they are less expensive then the Hookers. Either way they ain't cheap. OK Don spill the beans, why are you prejudiced about the Dougs

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Thanks that would be great to see a pic. You have a 4 speed ?

10. awelker

awelker

I'll take some pictures and post this evening.

I have a 6 bolt bell 289 with a cast iron truck bellhousing & t-10 from a 64 fairlane. If I remember correctly I had to grind a small clearance notch in the cast bell, no big deal. From what I measured on a 5 bolt bell motor it would have fit fine.

Prior to Hooker making these headers I had a set for a 66-67 fairlane, they only fit after some major tube flattening.

11. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Thanks awelker !!! Also Thanks Don for your input. It was mentioned there may be a problem if the car was a 6cyl originally. It was. It's now a 302.....Thoughts

12. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

If those Doug's Headers are of the Tri-Y arrangement (and I think they are by the part #), I'd go with those over the Hookers. They're better for more streetable mid-range torque and are what Mr. Shelby himself used on the original '65 Shelbys to get torque out of that small CID engine. A great choice.

13. awelker

awelker

Here are some pics off the Hookers. After looking under the car I remembered the notch was for the first set of headers. For these with the 6 bolt bell I had to shorten the clutch arm to fit inside the tubes.

Please don't make fun of the crust - its a driver.

Also, I strongly suggest putting a quality new starter on before the headers, replacing after is not fun.

Andy

Attached Files:

14. the Doug's Header[​IMG]

15. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Thanks again guys !! Tough call but I'm leaning towards the Doug's. Price is the main issue since both will work

16. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

I'll tell 'ya something else better about the Doug's is that they are easier to install and less cramped with only two tubes merging together by the time you get down to the main collector. They take up less space and have a neat sound too.

17. As for a racing application, are the Doug's just as good as the Hooker Super Comps?

18. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Otto, The Dougs are more suited for Hi Po Street Driving . The Hookers are bigger and probably would lend themselves better for racing.

19. I was leaning towards the Hookers. I just wanted a second opinion on it. Thanks.

20. prime mover

prime mover

I did have the stock shock towera too, just like in those pics, no complaints, I had a high winding 289 they definitely added power.

21. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Hey Prime How about a pic of the entire car !!

22. Realgonegasser

Realgonegasser

I'm trying to make that same decision. For street use, is there a big difference between the cast iron hi-po manifolds and the Doug's tri-y setup? Those Hookers look like they bury a couple of plugs, and the starter. Nice pix on the '63...those really helped!

23. 1964Fairlane

1964Fairlane
    from Clovis, CA

I am looking for headers also. BTW, Sanderson headers makes a set of headers just for the '62-'65 Fairlane - Model FF6, but they are shorty style with 1-1/2" primaries. These should work great for a stock or mild engine. I already have a set (haven't installed yet), but I am now in the process of building a 347 stroker for the car and will want something that flows better. I plan to do the Crites shock tower notching ... has anyone found other headers that work with the shock towers cut down? I am also about to do a rack and pinion conversion on the car, so the Tri-Y looks the most promising ... anyone put the Doug's 662Y on?

24. Yes!The stock Ford log manifolds are really restrictive, and the Tri Y's really wake up the little Ford motor.

I don't know if our Tri Y's are going to clear the R&P conversion or not. Who's conversion are you using? You might consider the Raw ones so that you don't scratch up coating check fitting them with the R&P plus easier to modify if you have to move a tube around the steering.

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I have the Hookers but with all the cobra stuff on my engine I should have used a tri y type headers. Hey,A.R.P. makes header bolts with a 5/16 head on them......Makes the install much easier!

26. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

I have used the Hookers in the past, wworked good for me

27. Five o Fairlane

Five o Fairlane

I have decided to go with the Doug's headers. How horrible is it to try and put these on with the motor in the car? Should I just yank the engine to install them?