Register now to get rid of these ads!

How can I obtain a title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quija666, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Quija666

Quija666

I have a 1929 model A sedan that is just about finished. The problem is that I have no title for it.
    I've tried a company that said I needed a number off the frame but that's long gone. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get one?

2. alchemy

alchemy

I suggest trying it the legal way. Get online and read up the State Legal Code in your state and see what they say is the process for registering a car with no title. Will probably involve some "proof" of where you got the car (body, chassis, engine, major parts) and an inspection for any numbers the DMV can find. Then a bonding and a waiting period. Then they will probably assign a new number and you are good to go, free and clear.

Or you could buy some "historical paperwork" from somebody and hope you don't get caught. But with a scary name like Quija 666 I bet you don't have very good luck.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

im not going to be the introduction police here..
    but you can do a thread search on this forum..lotsa info on this subject!
    really ought to try and find those numbers..they are there!..they were stamped on the frame. just like guns ..they never go away. there are ways to make them show up again. but anyway there are also alot of differences between states as to how to go about this..so keep it local.

4. chopped

chopped

I could tell ya but with only two posts I think your an undercover cop.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I found my numbers off of my frame and filed for a lost title..got a new michigan title in the mail in 7 days

6. Ummm....Tony??? You and I had this conversation at Mark's Rod Shop?!
    You know the guy who help you build that '29...

I'd suggest you read a little more...and use the search function!

But, you probably won't...Because, you haven't done anything I've suggested since we meet and why would you?!?

7. Ole don

Ole don

When I moved to Illinois, I called the Secretary of State Police in Springfield and asked, then followed what the guy said. It worked and was not a hassle, nor was it expensive.

8. I may be wrong, but i just titled my '29 model A. Ford did not not use numbers
    stamped into the frame. The actual number that was used was from the engine.
    I wanted my car to be titled as a 1929 not a homemade 2009. I have more info
    on correct engine numbers for year/model car. I bought a junk banger just for
    the engine numbers, then transfered them to my frame.

9. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

Paul, part right.

My understanding from various restorer type books, with Model A Ford serial numbered the motors, then as the car was assembled stamped the frame with the number on the left frame rail just ahead of the firewall. This ment a car often had a lower number than one built, say, a week before.

In 1932 the process was similar, except the serial number was on the transmission case, not the motor.

By 1939 there were often 3 sets of numbers, one ahead of the firewall, one in the middle of the frame, and one near the rear kickup.

10. 4cfed

4cfed
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

i read that here in WI you can apply for a 'hobbiest' type title in which your registering a 'homebuilt' hot rod or kit car.. but as stated before your title will say home built and 2009

11. legendrat72

legendrat72

this is what i did. i got on the hamb wanted adds and asked if anyone had a title for my 34chevy 2 door sedan i got about 3-4 messages within the 1st day. i asked a few questions on just to make sure it was legit and told the one i trusted the most i would buy it i think mine was about $125 $135. once i got it i stamped the numbers into the frame using just a simple harbor freight die. i went down to the dmv in my other car so i wouldn't get popped for driving a unregistered car. showed them the title i got. they asked why the title was from 1947 i told them when i got the car out of the field that was what the old owner gave me. (that was a lie i got the body off craigslist in orange county) they said alright. i got my temp moving permit and then they said they wanted to check the car. i pulled it into the dmv the next day and they looked for a speedo, head lights, a tail light, and the stamped number. they gave me the plates that day and its considered a 34 chevy now not a car from 2009. i only did this about 3 months ago so i know things havent changed

Attached Files: