Register now to get rid of these ads!

should be an easy fix...can someone help out...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tulfabrication, Jun 2, 2009.

1. im running one holley 94 on my otherwise stock 350. i put a 7.5 pv and size 52 jet in it.
    it starts fine, takes a little work to get to idle, but spins up and drives fine. my only issue is that it wants to die when im coming to a stop... like a stop sighn or whatever.

i'm sure this isn't hard, but i'm gathering opinions before throwing more jets or powervalves at it. any ideas guys

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

A problem in your idle circuit. Are you sure its clean throuout? Im assuming the rest of your engine is up to par, and no vacuum leaks?

3. 4cfed

4cfed
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

to rich causing it to load up at idle?? or coming down to idle? could try adjusting it tell it works with you, ( stating this bacause there are to many stupid people where i live and im sure you guys/gals know but its force of habbit) the adjustments ONLY adjust a/f ratio AT idle

4. coming down to idle sorry...when i first start it, it'll lope like it has a cam for a while until i rev it a few times to straighten out the idle

5. A 350 with only one 84 on it? Come on man, show us a photo!

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Why a Holley 94 on a Chev 350 ? A Rochester would be better . That also means you have an adapter , could have leaks in the gaskets . Do you have an auto trans or standard ? If auto the Holley 94 should have an adjustment for auto trans . Forgot the name of it off hand so someone please tell the correct name . It is so the idle doesn't drop to fast and stall out . It's on the front of carb , round . Do you know what I am talking about ?

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

You mean a Dash Pot?

Attached Files:

8. Might be the elevation where you live, go lean or add a little advance.

9. heres the setup. im only running one right now because "The Dickster" and i (via pm-ing) have spent weeks trying to get both of them to work with no avail. im gonna need to rebuild the back one (it pulls some gnarly vacume) before i start messing with them again.

in the mean time, theres a car sow coming up i wanted to go to, so i just blocked the back one off.

[​IMG]

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

What model carb, first??
    Is carb not in use solidly blocked off or just closed butterflies??
    Start by pulling lid and setting float level to lowest spec.
    At idle/very low speed, jets and PV are irrelevant unless you have one of the new PV's that doesn't fit gasket and bowl.
    This setup is very undercarbed, but should run very well at loe RPM...

11. model 94's. the float is set at 1 1/8" just like the rebuild kit said. should i adjust it even lower then that

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Yes , Thanks !

If you have an auto trans you do need this so you engine won't drop idle real fast and stall out .
    I am pretty sure I have one if you want it , just ask and pay the shipping .

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Yes , I would follow the instructions .
    Just make sure the circuits are filed in so there is no adjustments and vacuum leaks .

How do you like the 2x2 anyway ? I am considering getting the adapter and just running a 2x2 instead of changing the intake and going with a 3x2 . A 2x2 should have more than enough fuel for a hoped up engine .

14. gas pumper

gas pumper

Try lowering the float another 1/8 to 1/4 inch like BL says.

I think modern gas has a different specific gravity than the older non-ethanol stuff which results in the float sinking further into the gas, so the actual fuel level is higher than whats necessary. If that makes sense. Also make sure the fuel pressure is at the low side of whats right for your carb. Higher fuel pressure will raise the fuel level in the bowl.

It sounds like the fuel level is too high and under braking it's slosshing over and flooding the engine.

The right fuel level will also help the seeping/leaking of the carb.

15. Say, are those '60-ish Caddy valve covers? How are they mounted on the Chevy heads, do they fit close enough or are they mounted over stockers or something?

I have a pair of them floating around the garage, is why I'm curious.

16. Mdvoracek

Mdvoracek
    from Colorado

i like what you did with the fuel line. then again i have a boner for copper haha

17. the 2x2 setup is great. the adapter is an eelco unit. and looks right at home, as you can see it doesn't really stand out like i was scared of

the guy before me cut and welded them on top of some old chevy valvecovers, imo, i dont really like em

so game plan is to get in there, adjust the float level down a bit, and see where we're at.
    retro jim, you mentioned that i should file the "idle circuits"? could you enlighten me please

18. tedsrodshop

tedsrodshop

I see u have a fuel pressure regulater on it. If you have more than 2psi it will give u problems.

19. should i be running it at about two, or even lower. it's at two right now

20. Sounds like you need a new fuel filter. Rags

21. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

1 1/8 for a 94 is totally wrong, waaay too high. What MODEL, number and letters on left side of bowl?? Will diggup number after %$#% meeting. Can't remember nuttin.
    Find and kill whoever wrote instruction sheet in kit. Your carbs are not gonna function at the setting recommended.

22. no shit, sweet, well let me see here...

the back carb has an H next to the accel. pump housing, it also says ford, made in usa on the side of the float bowl. the other carb has a cursive F next to the accel. pump, and has the traditional ford logo on the side of the float bowl. on the other side of the fron carb it has a 15 and a 16 on top of eachother and says EAB on the side of the float bowl while the other has nothing.

if theres a sheet or somthing i can cross refrence these by i could probably tell you what type they are. much past that. i dunno man haha.

but thank you if you feel like digging up that number.

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

EAB is a '52-3 Ford...The F on pump means yours is Ford built, not Holley built.
    Are your nozzle bars slanted in a single angle across throat, or are they peked in middle with a big brass plug in middle?

24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

25. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would set this at Ford's oldest spec, 1 3/8", move up a tiny bit if problems. Lower (bigger number) is better on these carbs, and your engine is under carbed and should have good strong pull on the gas.
    1 1/8 is plain damn unworkable wrong...who is kit supplier?

26. some ebay company from when i bought the rebuild kits last saeson.

i appreciate all the help bruce, one more question though, do you think this float bowl setting could have been the reason why i couldn't get my 2 duece setup to idle...when i'd give it gas it would cut out too, or do you think i could have more issues.

thanks again man, i'm gonna tinker with these and let you know how they worked out

27. tedsrodshop

tedsrodshop

Is it at two on the regulator or is it two on a guage. Those regulators are not very accurate. 2psi is ok you can go as low as 1 psi. I have ran them at 2 with no problems.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

At that float level, I'm surprised you could even start the thing...you should have had gas flowing out the tailpipe!

29. it did that every once and a while, flames and stuff...