Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 chevrolet 437 miles original

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAY With, Jun 3, 2009.

1. RAY With

RAY With

437 original, actual miles

Purchased new by Mr. and Mrs. Jessie Trueblood of Modesto . Shortly after purchasing this car, Mr. Trueblood took a day off to go fishing. While waiting for the "big one" to bite he witnessed a woman fall out of her boat. Mr. Trueblood jumped in to help only to fall victim of a fatal heart attack. Mrs. Trueblood returned the car home and placed it in the garage for the next 12 years. The odometer reading at that time (1962) was 413 miles.

Mrs. Trueblood lived next door to a used car lot owned by Mr. William E. Wilson (now 81 years old). Mr. Wilson spoke with her frequently and often told her he would like to buy the car for himself to keep. In 1962 the time had come. Mrs. Trueblood told Mr. Wilson she needed a car for her bookkeeper who didn't really care for the ol' Chevy and would prefer a Rambler. No problem. Mr. Wilson went down to the local Rambler dealer and bought a brand new one for $1,650.00 ($100.00 over cost) and made the swap.

He then took the car home and parked it with 433 actual miles. And there it sat for the next 45 years, occasionally being started and moved in and out of the garage. In 2007 Mr. Wilson decided to sell the car and started spreading the word around Modesto that the ol' Chevy with 433 miles on it was for sale. Many had heard about the car, but hardly anyone had ever laid eyes on it. In fact, according to Mr. Wilson he believes he only showed the car to about 5 people in 45 years. Word spread quickly about the car and soon a buyer arrived ready and willing to pay the $60,000 asking price. When Mr. Wilson told me the story of this car he complained heavily of the "capital gains" tax he was required to pay and wished he had never sold it. As of this writing, Mr. Wilson is still alive and well in Modesto and can verify the miles and originality of this car. Simply put, this is a true 100% factory original survivor (that includes the air in the tires). This ol' Chevy now has 437 original miles and is most likely the world's lowest mileage 1950

Attached Files:

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow, that´s unbelievable! Way cool!

3. whatever

whatever

what can you say besides WOW

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

5. Larry T

Larry T

I kinda have a hard time believing any car could sit almost 60 years without the tires going flat. Yea, I know that's a knit picking point, but if they fudged on that who's to say they didn't fudge on something else.

I don't see any surface rust on any of the bare metal parts either.

6. Why does the air cleaner look like it's been on a car with 143,700 miles...?

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

those cars are ugly.

8. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The car is way cool, but the problem for me is that (if true) this would be a car that can NEVER be driven.

Sorry, a car that can't be driven ain't worth a damn to me.

Might be nice for a musem somewhere, but I would not want to own it, unless I could afford to "depreciate" the car by driving it... .

Does that make me a dick? :D

How about if I wanted to chop it....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  9. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

i'd give both my nuts...................

10. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Beautiful car, and great story. Thanks for sharing!

11. and its an O.G. powerglide car?....tittiiiieeessss....

12. If you are talking about William E. "Elmo" Wilson of Modesto, California I believe the story is true...

He was a long-time, well known used car dealer, and well acquainted with my Great Uncle from.

This story wouldn't surprise me a bit...

13. If it was mine, it would soon have way more miles on it. As for original tires, Cedartown GA Fire Department has a '48 LaFrance open cab pumper that still has the original tires (about 11,000 on odometer). Since it's been kept inside, I don't doubt it. Sunlight and ozone are what cause tires to deteriorate and "dry rot". This car has rarely seen the light of day, entirely possible for original tires to still be holding air.

14. rodncustom

rodncustom

15. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Its a nice old Chevy for sure but the website it is for sale on has every car's price jacked way up so maybe the $59,950 is just the ASKING price!

Marty McF.

16. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i've seen this car in person, it is pretty incredible. the guy that owns it has a lot of very high quality cars.

17. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

wow. thats a low miler.

18. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

That's what I said then read your post :D

19. PoPo

PoPo

CHOP IT!!!

jk

20. shainerman

shainerman

Neato! I wonder where its going to go when he passes, hopefully it wont sit in that garage and rot!!!!

21. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

Great car...

(Note to self: don't help drowning ladies while fishing.)

22. James427

James427
    BANNED

I'd have to pass on that for $60,000 though. Lots of other stuff I'd rather have for that kind of cash.

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Like my high school car...........JHC that's nice......it should be in a museum.....just so those who love 'em and want the experience can look at what a car looked like new in 1950.........amazing story!

24. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You know what they say, if your gonna cut one cut a nice one!

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

The guy was ripped off. The car wasn't worth $1650 in 1962.

I believe it's a nice car. I believe the story has likely as is most things, been embellished over the years.

26. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have enough cars allready, buuuuut, I think I can squeeze that in between the jag and 57 country sedan, Yea that should work nicely.

27. Yup, I agree. I had that emailed to me with much bigger pictures. Super nice car, but some parts show a lot more wear than others. Not sure all the parts are original (ex: air cleaner).

28. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

hell of a lot better looking then sedans of the same year.

30. Mopar34

Mopar34

Nice story, nice car. But not for $60k. Of course you could buy it and ship it off to B-J and try to double your money.:eek:

I got better things to do with my $60k.