Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects lets see your rear/ tailgate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Jun 3, 2009.

1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

ok I did a search and could not find anything on this.
    the 41 is getting real close to paint and I need to finalize the tail gate set up.
    I would like to see some tailgate set ups and get opinions on chain vs no chain for the gates.
    Lets see the rear of your truck and what you did for latches and tail gate chains.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wrong year, but I've got no chains, inside locks. Hate the rattle. Gary

Attached Files:

3. bbtrux

bbtrux

does anyone not think chains suck?

4. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Only one rear on the whole Hamb? Come on guys lets see what yours looks like!

5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I used chains covered with leather tubes to prevent scratching. I like it. Traditional for most trucks into the 60's

6. mj40's

mj40's

The tailgate in my 40 truck was bolted to the bed sides. I'm not real excited about that and doing a change in a rebuild. The problem with early gates is they are not hollow and the inside latch kits are more designed for the later hollow center tailgates. There are styles that you can bolt to the gate but usually has an exposed head on the viewing side. I have seen some with a bolt through the existing chain mounts and I have seen seatbelt buckles used in the upper inside corners to latch them. I built a set like in the first two photos and had them chromed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Two bolts... No chains, hooks, or latches...
    [​IMG]

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've used seatbelts several times!! cheap at the salvage too!

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Heres mine, I used a Mig to hold it up:D

[​IMG]

10. george775

george775
    from Nor Nev

K.I.S.S. - original chains and hooks. Covered with a bicycle innertube.

Attached Files:

11. Here's mine, with chains! I like the look. I used a spring closed loop on the latch end. Bed is fabricated.

Attached Files:

12. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

how would leather straps look instead of chain? How would you secure them to the bed sides and allow them to be strong enough to hold any wait?

13. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

heres mine, no chains. the box is bolted shut. i figure theres no need to have a functioning tailgate when i dont even have a floor in my bed.

Attached Files:

14. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

lets see them rears when there down.... what kinds chain , strap, or other trcik things have been done to hold that gate level????

15. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

Not exactly a truck but similar. On my Cushman Truckster it has a chain on its tailgate and the chain serves to latch the tailgate and hold it when its folded down. The pic is how its held when latched. basically 2 eyes with the hook going through them and then fold the tailgate down and hook the hooks on the chain into the eye on the tailgate. Pretty simple and would be easy to rig up I think. Here is pic I have of how its latches up.

Attached Files:

16. Drewski

Drewski

I built the bed to my 55 F100, so I decided to go ahead and build the tailgate too.

Did a quick frame out of 1" tubing and 1x2.

[​IMG]

Skinned it with 16 ga.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built some hinges that would bolt inside the bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mounted up to bed.

[​IMG]

Used the 80's ford seat belt buckles to latch and locate the tailgate.

[​IMG]

I plan to use the stainless folding stays like used in boat hatches to hold the tailgate in the opened position.

Quick, easy, works great....... and cheap.

Drewski

17. Very, very nice.

18. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

19. Feverish Flattie

Feverish Flattie

Before being replaced by thick black nylon cut to size horse lead-ropes and snap fasteners, I had dollar store bicycle cable locks instead of chains. Neither rattled, and both were inexpensive. Horse lead ropes are really, really strong, look pretty nice, and cost about $8-10 each. After you cut them to size, you still have 8 feet or so of nice nylon rope to use as tie downs for a tarp, or as tow ropes. Cheap-ass bike cable locks cost a dollar (at the dollar store) and have thick colored vinyl covers. Just bend them to fit, and use stainless steel wire rope hardware to hitch them up.
    Sorry but no pics of either.
    FF

20. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

21. SlamIam

SlamIam

IMO, an old truck looks naked with the chains gone. But hey, I'm an old farm boy. Taking the functional details off an old truck to clean it up converts it into something more like a car. I like my cowl vent, wind wings, stake pockets and tailgate chains, they are why I enjoy driving my old truck. When the chains are covered in a soft leather tube from hook to anchor they don't rattle or scratch paint. Friends who see me take off say my chains also look very cool under hard acceleration when they stretch out horizontally behind the truck.

22. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Dont plan on opening it so we welded it on.:)

Attached Files:

23. Not much usable bed space but it is a functional tail gate. Uses compact truck links of some kind instead of chains.

Attached Files: