Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuilding a '53 chevy 235 inline 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knucklehead29, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Guys,

I think it may be time to go through the old powerplant on my chevy. Does anyone know what the going rate is for a rebuild on a 235 I6? I could do it on my own but it would probably take 4 times as long (I have never done one before), and might cost more from screwups. Didn't know if there was someone in the Houston area who knew of a ballpark to how much this would cost? It would pretty much be a straight rebuild with probably some upgrades to a 2X1 barrel intake, and dual exhaust manifold. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

I have no idea about the cost, but call around.
    There are plenty of engine shops in Houston.
    I've used Joey's Engines numerous times in the past, they are pretty economical http://www.joeysengines.com/. There's also Jeff at Custom Automotive Machine over on Pinemont (no website, try Google). He's probably more expensive, but you can't beat the quality.
    Thanks for not putting in a small block!

3. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Thanks very much! I will look into them. I really like my little 235 I6. There is just something so real about still have the stovebolt in there!!

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

A bit of advice----if it's a standard shift car with the original '53 babbit pounder, find a 235 with full pressure oiling and insert rod bearings, and have THAT one rebuilt for your car.

5. MERC 55

MERC 55

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

A 53 stick car with a low pressure/splash oiling system has insert rods.These engines are fine for regular driving even with a little perfromance stuff.But like the guy says,a full oil pressure engine has the potential to be better.
    Prices I hear from my friends with Chevy trucks is around 2-3 grand for a total rebuild,new everthing,pistons, crank ground,new cam and lifters and so on.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not unless someone replaced the stock rods with a set of the rods that Federal Mogul converted for insert bearings years ago. I've disassembled three '53 standard shift 235s, and they all had rods with poured bearings. The '53 Powerglide engines had insert rods.

8. bikerdan

bikerdan

i know what ya mean, i get tired of being asked "when are ya goin' to put a small block in it?"

9. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Sorry I should have specified...it has a 2 speed powerglide auto....so I should be fine right?

10. shainerman

shainerman

Cheaper to buy a motor. I have the 230 in my 63 and I just bought another 230 out of a 67 Camaro freshly rebuilt with a powerglide for $425. Year correct or not, it runs perfect and was in after a 12 pack with help from friends.

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

Heathen,opps,you're correct! I was thinking main bearings.......

12. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

'63 was the 1st year for the 230,similar to the 194,250,and 292.
    235 is a whole different animal :rolleyes:

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

but the advice is the same regardless of what HIS engine size/family is.

14. shainerman

shainerman

Yeah, I noticed that, haha. I was talking to people about buying a 235 for it and it turned out, like you're saying, its a no go. Thats funny though, are the 235s much more expensive?

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, they were the first of the "good" engines with aluminum pistons, insert rod bearings, and full pressure lubrication. If you're going to install a hotter cam, you may end up sending yours out to be reground; the majority of aftermarket cams are ground on the large journal '54-'62 shafts.

16. Knucklehead29

Knucklehead29

Thanks guys very much for the advice. I sent out a few emails to engine guys asking for quotes. The gearhead in me wants to do it all myself, I am just afraid it might take FOREVER and cost me more than letting a professional do it...

17. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Your Chevy is really cool!
    How about finding a later insert rod engine(like Heathen said) and take your time
    to rebuild it yourself while you continue to drive with your current engine?
    You can do it with a little research and advice!
    Internal engine cleanliness at assembly time = long happy service usually.
    Good luck.

18. panic

panic

Yes, the 216/235/261 is more expensive to rebuild than a 194/215/230/250/292, partially due to the fact that the main bearings are 4 different sizes, and the whole lower end is more labor intensive. See the Webrodder article.

19. well why not get rid of that babbit pounder and get my 1956 235 one barrel,carb to pan and a 3 speed tranny to boot all for $350 and close to ok city ,ok. had motor since 1968 or 69, rebuilt maybe 8000 miles since rebuild,motor is preserved waiting to come alive again,.......aircraftmechanic

20. begjr2000

begjr2000

I just bought a 1950 Chevy, don't know what engine it has. All I know is that it don't turn over.Might be interested in that engone of yours. What did it come out of?

21. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

He wrote that it is a Powerglide car, so he has a full-pressure motor.

Your 50 Chevy, if 3-speed is a 216. If Powerglide it is 235. If original. Check out the 216 social group - lots of cool stuff can be done with those babbit motors. Good luck.