Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Joe Mayall of NSRA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mj40's, Jun 1, 2009.

1. HotRodDriver

HotRodDriver
    from Oklahoma

I've known Joe for 30 years. A sad day indeed.

Rod

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It will be a sad weekend in York . :(
    Joe did a lot for the hobby and NSRA . :)

R.I.P Joe .

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Met Joe in the seventys at the Street rod Nationals. He was busy but took time to chat for a few minutes. He was the real deal. RIP Joe, it must be good to be with Lois again.

Frank

4. jerry dixey

jerry dixey

JJ - You knew Joe better than most of us. When you spend 20 years with someone in an office the size of the Simi Valley digs you get close in many ways. I can only imagine your grief over Joes passing. York was not on my Road Tour schedule this year but after hearing about Joe I decided I wanted to be with my NSRA family this weekend. I will give the blue and white army your regards. It will not be the same without Joe, that's for sure.

5. jjrodder

jjrodder

Thanks, Jerry.
    I wish I could be there in York. It will be a sad occasion, but knowing Joe, he wouldn't want it that way. Let it be celebration of his life.
    JJ

6. Very, very, sad news :(

My father always spoke highly of both Joe & Lois.

I have fond memories of the Mayall's ... their T Touring ... and their '34 Sedan

R.I.P. Joe

7. I'm sure there will be some teary eyes in York this weekend. Joe and Louie had planned to spend some time the following week doing some touristy things. JJ, we visited Joe at the Simi Valley office this past January and like Jerry said, working with Joe all those years will give you lots of good times to remember. Joe took a picture of my daughter sleeping under the table while we vended at an event a long time ago. Now that she's 40 Joe couldn't resist taking a picture of my granddaughter doing the same thing and getting much enjoyment out of it. Life will go on, but it will be a little emptier without Joe's dry sense of humor.

Dennis & Sue

PS Jerry, thanks for changing your plans and chipping in to help with the photography at York.

8. jjrodder

jjrodder

Thanks to all of you for the kind comments about Joe. I just visited the HotRodHotline website and they have a very nice tribute to Joe also. Check it out at hotrodhotline.com/index.php or joemayall.wordpress.com/photos-of-joe/
    JJ

9. Brian Brennan

Brian Brennan

Joe and I went back a long way and while we started our friendship on a professional note as staff members on Rod Action in '73 we continued to be the best of friends. Joe brought my first Idaho vitnage tin, a '29 roadster pickup body, to my front door when he moved to SoCal. Our first meeting occured at the Detroit Nats in '72 when I picked him up at the airport and we forged our friendship over hot rods and dirt bike riding. In his time Joe was a hell of a dirt bike rider and he and I shared some great times off-road. He was always the consmmate journalist, hot rodder, and friend. I was saddened by the passing of Lois, wife, as she too was a friend. I can only now hope that his son, Louie, and daughter, Monica, and grandkids overcome their sadness remembering that their parents where models for the rest of us to emulate when developing friendships.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  10. jjrodder

jjrodder

Just thought I would pass along this info for friends of Joe & Lois.

The Joe & Lois Memorial Rod Run will be held July 11, 2009 in Simi Valley, California.

Meet at 10:30 AM at Simi Valley Public Cemetery, 1461 Thompson Ln. (Just West of Erringer Rd. off Royal Ave). Specialty vehicle parking at the Rancho Simi Community Park Ball Field adjacent to the cemetery on Thompson Ave.)

Service at graveside with comments and stories about Joe or Lois welcome from all.
    Cruise through Simi Valley to follow from 11:30-Noon.

Rod Run from Noon-4:00 PM to celebrate Joe and Lois’ lives at Dave High Ink, 1925 Angus Ave. (Just East of Tapo St. off Los Angeles Ave.) Great cars, food, music and an open mike to share fun stories of Joe and Lois.