Register now to get rid of these ads!

shoebox window felt help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fathead429, May 18, 2009.

1. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

I have zero window felt in my 50 club coupe and was looking to buy a set.
    There are a couple types, with or without Stainless steel also, rigid or flex.

Price is all the same so I am trying to figure out which one is better.

Any assistance you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

just went through this on my car. i think dennis carpenter sells the whole kit. i did mine all separately cause i chopped mine. i personally like the stainless steel beads.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Obsolete in OKC sells complete kits formed and assembled at their shop.

4. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

What about the flexible vs rigid? Any thoughts? I have found the kits to be around $100.00 except for one SoCal shop trying to make a house payment off a kit.

5. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

So I got the window felt kit for my Club Coupe from Sacramento Vintage Ford for 90.00. Total was 113.00 shipped to SoCal.
    Local prices around here were 200.00.

It was the Stainless Steel, Rigid kit. The kit looks really good. Once I figured out how to smash the rivets (they were the pellet style, I used a BB and some welding vice grips), and how to put the staples in the felt through the original holes on the trim (I drilled the holes in the felt with a very little drill bit then smashed em over with pliers.)

After all that, it came out looking good and fits real nice.

6. olosipu

olosipu

Any thoughts on NOT spending $200 on a full set of rollup window felt kits and trying to replace the felt on the existing metal backings (that have since had their felt worn off). Maybe using a strong glue and NOT taking the door apart. Thoughts??? Is there something I am missing in my thinking? And where would you buy just the hoarsehair type felt?

7. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

I went to a local glass shop and bought long strips of exactly what I needed for like $10 a strip. For my 41 Ford and my 52 F1. Worked great, looked great. Just take a small 1 or 2 inch sample of what you need with you. They had the stainless bead too.

8. olosipu

olosipu

In most cases, the metal backings are still there, just the felt has worn away. So if you can just buy the felt, it will save ALOT of work (don't have to take the door apart) and almost $200.

I am going to run down to a local auto glass shop and see if I can get a close match on my felt. If I am missing anything in my thinking and someone reads this, let me know.

9. http://www.restorationspecialties.com/

These guys helped me out big-time when I replaced the fuzzies on my Merc. They make the pre-bent kits for almost anything. Yes, they needed to be "finessed" for a final fit, but, they work. I will use them again.

10. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

There is no need to go through the aggravation of using (Replacing) the staples in the window fuzzy's.... I used 3M double stick tape VHB (Very High Bond) it comes in various widths.... I simply applied the double stick tape to the window fuzzy and applied it to the door side as well as the window garnish moldings... Its been on there for 18 years and has not budged.... Let face it these cars are not exposed to the same treatment that our everyday drivers get....

Rich King

11. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I never understood that either rags to richs I mean unless you're doing a resto who cares about those hellish staples

good idea about the double sided tape, I was just going to use that window adhesive goo but I like the tape idea better.

Heck, if I get even half as long out of it as you did I'll be happy! ;-)

12. I use shall screws to attach the fuzzies. Mac's sells small black screws for this. $0.02

13. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Here is some helpful information related to double sided tapes... this stuff is amazing.... There are places that this product that is currently being used you will find it hard to believe...

Video
    http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=.../en_US/VHB/Tapes/Products/Product-Information

This is a link to the Product description....... and technical data sheets.....
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/VHB/Tapes/Products/Product-Information

There are lots of information as well as application date on the related links....

Don't get me wrong... Im not a stock holder in 3M but will stand behind this product 100 percent ..... If one follows the instructions the results and reliability are unbelievable.....

A word of caution...... GET IT STRAIGHT.... once applied its a SOB to get it off as the adhesive is stronger than the actual tape and will tear if you try to pull it off...

Rich

14. olosipu

olosipu

But what if you don't have the desire to spend $200 for fuzzies and an entire day tearing apart the interior. Has anyone attempted to simply add something on top of the metal backing and what is left of the felt?

I just need something to keep most of the moisture out while washing and to provide a better anti-rattle. The car is not a p.o.s. or a daily driver, but I can find better things to do with my saturday and $200.

Rather than not do anything, I tried a small piece of rubber stripping, but it was too sticky and would get pulled off. So it would have to be something fuzzy'ish put on with some sort of adhesive.

Any advice on materials?

15. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Belt weather strips are no where near that price... I purchase mine from Restoration specialities in PA... Runs about $16.00 to $25.00 for a 72 or 96 inch length.... Simple to cut with an abrasive saw.... Tape it - Mark it - Cut it..... then take the tape off....

Here is Restoration specialities link to their catalogue...

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2009 Catalog ebook/2009 Catalog ebook.pdf

Start to look around page 13....

Hope this helps....

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dont think that your going to find anything that will stop water from getting in your doors... Obviously thats why the factory put holes in the door bottoms....

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks for the useful input.