Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions on a 'T' Speedster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swifster, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Swifster

Swifster

I've seen a few picures of Model T Speedsters lately and it's piqued my interest. Anyone have a suggestion on building one of these? I've thought about buying a frame and just starting from there. I've also had the idea of using an 'A' banger motor in it. Again, thoughts or suggestions?

2. RichG

RichG

Lang's has a very good selection of pieces for a speedster:)

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A T speedster IS powered by a T engine or OHV conversion on a T engine or F-head on a T engine, T planetary transmission maybe with auxiliary trans and 2 speed Ruxtell or other rearend, external contracting rear brakes.
    If you use A power you kinda have an A speedster, don't you think?

4. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Maybe he wants to run an A engine but stick with the T chassis.
    You know, crazy narrow with no front brakes?

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you like T speedsters there are usually a bunch of them at the MOTAA Swap Meet at the Auto Museum on Petit Jean Mountain near Morrillton AR the week of Father's Day each year. Those Arkansas folks have a real appreciation for the T speedster and love to go up Petit Jean Mountain the steep way just to show their stuff.

6. woodlandca

woodlandca

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've had speedster projects since I first got involved in the hobby, and to be honest very few look "Right" to me. There is such an overlay in parts and styles that very few turn out looking like a period correct piece. Having said that you need to have a good picture of what you want the end product to look like. An A banger in a T chassis was is a lot of work, and you may be better of building an A based car.

8. Very few A chassis speedsters look right, though. I've been thinking deeply about one for a long time, looking at examples every chance possible. Areo bodied cars work well either way, but minimalist cars benefite from the skinny frame, T rear and general spindley look.
    How hard woud a T engine with an A crank and trans be to build? Wheel brakes and battery ignition would be required. How about the tourque tube? Maybe a Warford would be the way to go anyway.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

T blocks with A cranks get costly. To me building a brass era T speedster is your best bet, they look good and have a resale value.

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can not believe how much a money you can pimp out of a stock '22 chassis with a brass radiator and a Rootlieb body.

12. I agree with the37kid,

There are LOTS of "speedsters" out there, but not alot that have the right look OR aren't overloaded with geegaws (nwvs has examples of all of the above)...

Swifster, I have a good number of pics at home- will put them on when I get back to Georgia next week.

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Basic plan for a T speedster: Take off what's not needed; do not put on geegaws.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw one in a Passport van three months ago that was laughable, but it sold for more than a nicely restored '09 open valve.:eek::eek:

15. Speedsterinc

Speedsterinc

These are hand made bodies. A or T your choice. The yellow T ran 90 mph with 53 hp at Atl Motor Speedway. And Black Betty was a daily driver A banger with 120 hp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Swifster

Swifster

Thank you all. The only reason I was thinking Banger in a T was to do a late '20's hot rod. While Ford didn't have juice brakes, other companies like Chrysler did. Maybe a conversion? I've seen a couple brass era cars, but I like the '22 & newer cars with the Mercury lamps.

I've never thought about something this old, but I know parts are out there and I would like it 'right' for the times.

17. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

honestly this is the way to go: start stock, unbolt all the non-necessary detritus. start hopping it up from there. don't worry about the juice brakes a stock T will lock up the rear wheels. If you really are concerned get a set of rocky mountains.

your engine build should be as follows: Z head, and a texas T parts distributor. High flow intake and a straight though carb. unless you want to go with a down draft of some sort. 1 Holley 94 is more than enough.

The above will build you a nice little speedster that will mosey down the road at 45 to 50, which will be plenty. Learn to tune the little critter before you get all excited.

If you want a more indepth engine build just ask.

18. Speedsterinc,

I was just down in your neck of the woods hanging out with Stretch1320- he said you might come over then made some excuse about your anniversary or something...:D

19. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

This one is mine , probably has 3-4,000 miles on it since we built. Couldnt be any more model T . Steel body and all T parts , drove to the hundred Car Pile Up last year 500 miles round trip.

[​IMG]

20. Swifster

Swifster

Me likey. Is that a cut down touring or a real roadster?

21. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Its a 23 roadster built from panels off the ebay and extended 10 inches.

22. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

Some T speedsters look great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hoop, That is a good looking one, and looks to be period correct (1923-25). The Brass radiatored, 26-27 wire wheeled, mid 1920's overhead equiped ones, are a different story IMO.

24. Hoop,

You need to post some more pics of your speedster- nice work!

25. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

Nice work, for sure. But not mine. Belongs to a friend and fellow Hamber, Little Bear.

In fact, simply outstanding craftsmanship. In the foreground in the one picture is a Gemsa engine ... for you serious T guys.

I will take more pics next time over his place.

26. Retired

Retired

<style></style>That is a nice looking car !!

The intake manifold looks very familiar.
    I picked up a model T back in 1980 and it had the same looking intake.
    I know it's for a model A but can you give me any other information on it?

I'm rebuilding the "T" and here is a photo as it looked then and now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Hoop-in-JAX

Hoop-in-JAX

Just got off the phone with "Little Bear" aka Carl. He has problems with his password which we need to get sorted out ... but thanks you for the compliments.

(He has some serious cars.)

[​IMG]

28. Joe Gemsa put his name on a lot of people's stuff. The Gemsa rocker arm heads came from John Gerber's patterns. The Gemsa D O head was originally the D O Galivan head. Joe had a way of acquiring patterns when the designer died, and the patterns then made "Gemsa" parts. Joe was our El Monte neighbor for over 50 years. I saw a lot of stuff leave his little shop with a different name on it than when it came in. ;)