Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Use Lobucrod's Heat & Noise Insulation?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattilac, May 31, 2009.

1. Mattilac

Mattilac

I'm planning on purchasing a couple rolls of lobucrod's auto insulation, but am wondering how well it works at cutting down unwanted road and engine noise. After some research, I've noticed that people have good things to say about it as a heat insulator, but not much comment on its sound-deadening properties.

I'm sure its a great product, I'd just like to find out from those who have used it how much did it help to quiet the interior.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. Big Tony

Big Tony

Made a huge difference in my sound of my 54.... hell i can even talk on the cell going down the road know. This stuff is easy to work with and i just can't say enough about the product or Mike. If ya have any questions PM and he will shoot ya straight. If i can answer any other question PM me... Later

3. Garry Carter

Garry Carter

Used it ... like it! Bought two rolls from Mike -- it was enough to do my `30 coupe stem to stern. Now remember that I'm building a Model A -- lap doors aren't ever going to seal the way flush mounted doors do. That not only means more air, it means more noise. And I'm also running a pair of Smitty's that reside (more or less) directly under the seat. But once I sealed off the trunk from the passenger compartment and fab'ed up some kick, door, and quarter panels it became acceptably quiet and cool. After shopping for the more high-zoot products -- and recoiling in sticker shock -- I'd definitely recommend the Lobucrod route.

4. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I have it installed in my 55 Cadillac. cuts down on alot of the road noises etc. it's a great product.

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I used it in Big Olds. Really cut down on the heat from the engine compartment but since Big Olds is a convertible I really can't tell the difference in noise.:D

6. Mattilac

Mattilac

haha, thanks for the replies. I think I'll order some today.

I'm wondering if it would be even better if I laid down lobucrod's insulation, and then some peel & seal on top of it. The big complaints I've heard about peel & seal is that on very hot days it begins to smell of tar. But I've also heard that it helps a lot with noise deadening too. I figure lobucrod's stuff would keep it cool.

Or would this be ridiculous?

7. I put peel'n'stick down first on the floor and inside the doors. I could smell the asphalt at first application, but not after it settled and fumed off. I put the other insulation on top. Made a big difference over the previous foil/bubble wrap type i had. I also installed heat shields between the muffleers and floor which helped out the heat situation.

8. Ok, for those of us that don't pay enough attention, who is Mike, so I can order some for the Impala? Is lobucrod his site, or is he a vendor for the insulation?

Doug

9. Thanks for the info.

10. Movinman

Movinman

Great product with a great price. Mike is an easy guy to deal with, and the prices compared to what else is out there are excellent. I highly recommend his insulation!

11. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I used it in my Kaiser and it fixed all the exhaust drone that I was getting. If you are going to do Dynamat or similar I would put that down first, directly to the sheetmetal, then use the lobucrod insulation over the top.

Here's my write-up on installing the insulation: http://www.myrideisme.com/GarageViewHowto/11/

12. Mattilac

Mattilac

Does the aluminum tape come with the insulation? Or is that bought separately?

13. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

Asphalt based sound deadeners are super low tech. I stopped selling those about 10 years ago. I start with Dynamat Xtreme which does not have a smell, does not require heat to install, and will not fall down if installed upside down (roof or trunk lid) or vertical, and is four times more effective than the asphalt products. Then, I use either Stinger Road Kill Carpet Pad RKCP12 or Dynamat Dynaliner (comes in different configurations and thicknesses.
    If you're going to use the jute/foil carpet pad, at least use the Dynamat Xtreme first and you will have a good combination.

14. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

Lobucrods stuff is the way to go......and just think if you were an Alliance member you would get the discount to boot....

15. belair

belair

I put it on the roof of my 57 ford wagom dropped temps bunch.

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm using Mike's insulation in my roadster build. I like the fact that you spray the adhesive on the face of the mat and on the piece you're covering and them apply with the glue wet. Thia allows you to move it about to the proper fit before it sticks tight, but the glue does dry fast enough that if you're working alone, don't try too big a piece at one time.
    I also like the fact that it is not water absorbent, cause I know I'm gonna get caught out in the rain sooner or later. Here in GA, most likely sooner!
    The tape is extra cost, but reasonably priced.
    Mike is an Alliance vendor and the easiest way to find his website is from the HAMB Alliance vendor listings and the link there.
    Dave

17. Mattilac

Mattilac

I just order two rolls of the stuff. Hopefully it'll show up by the end of the week so I can begin playing with it.

18. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

worked great in my merc.

19. GARY?

GARY?

I dropped the inside temp on my car probably 8-10 degrees by putting it just in the roof. Really helped last summer. Don't know about the sound differences it makes. I need to buy more for my truck.

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Matt, Got your order and its shipping today. Hopefully it will show up there Friday. If you will send a few pics of the install I'll add them to our Images page on the website. Thanks.

21. Mattilac

Mattilac

Hey lobucrod, I just ordered some tape too, could you throw that in with the insulation if its not already out the door? Thanks.

I will definitely take some pictures of the installation and send them to you.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  22. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

If anyone is wondering, the tape is well worth it. It really finishes off the seams nicely and is super strong.

23. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Is Lobucrod still going? I only seem to be able to find a call center in Australia

24. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I closed up shop about 5 years ago. I have been referring folks to carinsulation.com. He sells the same product.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.