Register now to get rid of these ads!

AutoMeter gauge retrofit in '51 Kaiser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, May 31, 2009.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Hi all,

This is how I put 12v modern AutoMeter gauges in the stock cluster of my '51 Kaiser Manhattan. I used Pro-Comp Ultra-lite gauges because I like the brushed aluminum face, it is similar to the stock Kaiser gauges. It's uncanny how similar the speedometer is. 3 3/8" fits perfectly into the stock cluster, and the 270 degree, 0-120 mph sweep lines up perfectly. I used part number 4487, found here: http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3115&sid=11

Step1: Disassemble the stock cluster. I just used a small flathead screwdriver to pry the tabs back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2: Trim the sheetmetal pod until the gauges fit. I used tin snips and a right angle die grinder with a barrel sander on it. Take your time with this until they fit nice and snug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 3: Fit the gauges into the cluster. I needed to adjust the depth of the gauges so they sat up against the stock lens. To do this I trimmed some material off the front of the AutoMeter mounting cups using my bandsaw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 4: Now we have a problem, two sets of numbers.

[​IMG]

I kicked around a lot of ideas and talked to Kris at Autometer and Shannon at Redline Gaugeworks and was able to come up with a solution I am happy with. As it turns out, on the Pro-Comp Ultra-Lite gauges I am using, you can use acetone to remove the screenprinted numbers. A little acetone and some q-tips and the numbers were gone.

I ground a curve into a small flathead screwdriver to remove the Autometer bezel. These aren't meant to be removed so be careful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The numbers are disappearing.

[​IMG]

I also polished up the lens. It's amazing how 50 years of dirt can actually protect a part. This thing looks brand new with a little polishing.

[​IMG]

Step 5: Drill a hole for the odometer button. This button is also used to program the speedometer. I used the old white grease trick to transfer the location of the button onto the lens. Make sure you use a dull drill bit when drilling plastic. A sharp one will catch the plastic and crack it every time. They make special plastic bits but I have always had good luck with a dull bit. If the bit is too sharp you can sand it down a little too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 6: Install gauge...again. I used cardboard to temporarily shim the gauge forward. Once I figure out the exact depth I'll cut and form an ABS ring to permanently install. I also chose to leave the Autometer bezel off so the gauge can sit closer to the lens. I think it appears more "stock" that way, and less like there is an Autometer gauge stuck in there.

[​IMG]

Look better?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the small black dot near the "K". That is the programming button.

[​IMG]

That's how far I've gotten so it's all I can submit for Tech Week. I still need to finish up installing the small gauges and I might mess with fitting the stock Kaiser needle onto the speedometer for an even more original look. I'll post the finished cluster in my build-up thread here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272171&highlight=kaiser

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. 63jalopy

63jalopy

Looks good. I've been keeping up with your other updates and I was interested to see how the speedo would turn out. Nice and simple.

3. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

that is pretty kick ass.

4. Lucky444

Lucky444

That is DEFINITELY kick ass!

5. Very cool...nice work!!

6. studeboy

studeboy

I might be able to update the Desoto guages I have using this method. Cool tech!! Thanks

7. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

It looks great, and is a huge improvement...but what are your (if you have any) plans to get it to zero-out? I see the stock gauge sets at 15 MPH...???

8. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

It will zero out when I plug it in, the needle just moves around right now since its sitting on the work bench. Don't worry the gauge is clocked correctly in the cluster.

9. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Do it! That's why I posted, I would love to see people expand on my idea and use it in other cars.

10. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice job looks good

11. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

How will you set the new speedo / odo? Do you drive a measured mile and push the black button? I guess I could go to the website, but you have to do it anyhow.
    Thanks, excellent tech by the way!

12. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I haven't read the instructions yet either. :) The speedo works with my 4L60E trans so hopefully I won't have to do much.

13. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

First couple of pictures had me doubting. Looks like it is going to turn out really nice. Thanks for documenting the conversion.

14. etboy97

etboy97

Thanks for the post and photos. I have been toying with the same idea for a 51 Plymouth cluster I have so its good to see how others are doing it.

15. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Cool. Figured you'd figured already. :eek:

16. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Thats pretty much all there is to it. Nice job, even the back looks good, that's the hardest part. That's how our business got started!

Mark

17. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

What does it look like with all the gauges in the panel? are you going to remove the numbers from the outer 4 guages?

What about painting the needle black? the hazard cone orange is little "loud" in your bezel.

18. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Still working on the four gauges. Kicking around ideas such as putting the stock faces on the Autometer gauges or making new ones from scratch. No time to work on it this week, but hopefully next week I'll get it figured out.

The neon orange needle is a little loud, I was thinking about painting it black or adding the black round cover from the stock needle.

19. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Your gauges are very nice. Do you mostly retrofit gauges like I did? Do you use AutoMeter gauges?

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

Very cool... I love your thread on the kaiser, and now I love this one! Are you gonna delete the "Autometer" off the speedo? How'd the other gauges end up working?

Paint the needle black to match too!

21. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Nope, AutoMeter was kind enough to supply the gauges for my project, so leaving their name on the gauge is a must.

22. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Quick photoshop of a black needle, leaning this way.

[​IMG]

23. Strip the needle to bare aluminum(I think it's aluminum:confused: should be anyway) EXCEPT for about a half inch at the tip. That'll give you a floating red indicator...assuming the needle is the same stuff the face is made of.....you know what I'm trying to say :eek:;)
    haha! do whatever you want, cause it'll turn out good---you've proved that with the rest of the car :cool:

24. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I really like how people still go down the "Traditional" road and create the parts for your hot rod from other parts ! :D
    Now that is what it's all about ! Can't wait to see how your other gages work out !

25. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

We usually use vdo, they are small and easy to work on. Older vdo gauges from Porsches and volvos had reverse rotation movements, so that is kind of nice. If you can figure out how to mount the autometer guts, we can do the faces for you. )Any good screenprinter can handle it) Then you can get it done cheap.
    We mostly did Porsche work and some street rod stuff in retrofits, but now we mainly develop our own products, I mean who has $2K to spend on gauges?

Nice car, mine was in the Hot Rod homebuilt heroes issue, it is the 914 with a chevy 302

Let me know if you need any help, advice is free.

Mark

26. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Thanks, Jim! That is a high compliment to me. Some guys just turn up their noses at my 12v gauges. :eek:

27. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Now that's not a bad idea. The needle is super light, so I'll have to see how flimsy it is. But it sure would be cool to brush the length of it and leave the end orange or paint it red or black. Floating needle, great idea!

28. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Very cool, I didn't realize you were my Homebuilt Hero brother. I might be giving you a call next week. The more ideas the better!

29. I think the needle needs to match the gennie numbers. Maybe a glow in the dark white paint?