Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had an interesting offer today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jasonnosaj, May 31, 2009.

1. jasonnosaj

jasonnosaj
    from ohio

I had an interesting offer today :) for the '64 Impala I have up for sale (i'm asking $2K for the Impala). Flamming River, a company close to me in Ohio that makes high end steering parts, wants to use the car for R&D. They say they are developing a rack & pinion system, and need a guina pig. They offered me a complete steering sytem (wheel, colum, u-joints, shafts, rack, the whole system) for my '38 ford truck project. The value of the parts is around $2K retail.

There are 3 problems here, I'm selling the Impala to pay for building the '38 Ford (I'm laid off from work so I have plenty of time to build a rod, but not much cash and the $2K i'll get from the Impala will be just about enough $$$ to finish the '38), the steering system in the '38 is already done (Vega box), in addition, i'm building it as a rat rod (not a **rust** rod), and all that chrome & polished aluminiumon was not part of the plan for the '38. They are comming out tomarow to look at the Impala.

Let me get some opinions on this, here are my options...
    1) Trade for the Flamming River parts and try to get the $$$ I need by selling the parts (probobly harder to sell the individual parts than waiting for another buyer for the Impala, plus, in all odds, i'll never get full value for the parts).

2) Trade for the parts and use them on the '38 Ford, evan on a rat, these parts would look good, improve the drivability of the truck, and increase the value of the truck. Problem with this is it makes for more work I'll have to do on the '38 (mabey talk Flamming river into instaling the parts???), and I won't have the $$$ to finish the '38.

3) Try and talk them into a straight up purchase for $2000.

4) combination of cash & trade, mabey get a nice steering wheel and chrome colum, and $1500 cash.

I do like the idea of selling the Impala to Flamming River because they said they would do a frame off restoration on the car, which means they'll probobly use it as a show car. If i'm selling my Impala, it's good to know it'll be in good hands, and get the attention it deserves. Plus the bragging rights of selling the Impala to a well known parts manufaturer.

Give me some opinions on this, I have to have an awnser for them tomarow.
    Thanks!

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

A- if I'm offered a trade on a vehicle for sale, I'm gonna want 50% more value-wise in the trade, if not 100% (at least in your price range). Cause I'm not looking for more junk, I'm looking for cash and need compensated for the detour that leads to eventual cash. If you take parts, you take 2K at manufacturer cost. Not wholesale or retail. Actual manufacturer cost. Then dump it for 70% of retail and make your cash.

B- I'm having zero problems insisting on cash from a company buying an R&D chassis. If they can't afford $2k they got bigger issues than lack of X frame chevy offerings. The guy looking at your car consumed over a hundred dollars of company resources to view it. Guaranteed. He's probably not going to be looking at 10 or 12 different cars, it's not cost effective.

good luck with the sale

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Generally, when you put something up for sale you know your bottom dollar; unless the price is firm. So whatever your bottom dollar is, use this as a starting point for a value on the parts. Most people don't always pay retail for parts.

So what I'd probably do is negotiate a deal asking for more in parts (don't accept the retail deal), based on the 2K asking price. Then whatever deal you put together compare it to your bottom line price; it could be a really good deal.

4. ham-boned-ford

ham-boned-ford

Id tell them the car is only available for a cash payment.

If you take a trade you should get more in trade value from them at least 3K worth of parts as it is only costing them product at there cost.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Tell them you will take one of their electric power steering units, they retail for $5200.

6. Fogger

Fogger

A couple of thoughts. 1st you are selling the Chev to finish the '38 because you have no money. 2nd is the truck a straight axle front suspension? If so the rack and pinion won't be an improvement over the Vega setup. I agree with the other posts sell them the Impala for $2k and finish the '38. The FOGGER

7. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

8. johnboy13

johnboy13

9. Money you can use now, is worth more than parts you don't need.

If Flaming River can't afford $2K , they have problems.

10. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

we do trading not because we don't have cash, world is nicer that way sometimes.
    sounds like you don't need what they have to offer....sell it, get the cash

11. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

The offer they extended obviously benefits them not you. The offer of trade for parts that "retail" for $2k probably costs the 30-40% less to manufacturer, so they are offering $1200-$1400 for your car essentially, are you willing to take that amount in cash? Cash folds easily and can be carried in your pocket, I don't think the parts they are offering that you don't need will fit in your pocket.

Marty McFly

12. monsterflake

monsterflake

how do you increase the value of a rat rod? do you want a shitbox? maybe this an intervention of some sort, flaming river's helping to prevent the creation of another undriveable craprod by offering you good parts. it just might send you down the path of a nice hot rod and away from this whole rat rod business...

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

You have several posts wanting to "trade" this Impala which you still have'nt posted pix of for a "rat rod" ,,so now its You were selling it :confused: how does anyone even know what your car is worth ?

Seems to me if they really wanted to do something with the car they would buy it..You say you need the money but you only have the car listed as for "trade" ,,,,,,,,,,,this post doesn't make alotta sense

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354961

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354966

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358933

14. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

You're in a very enviable situation here?
    Good steering is a heavy percentage of the complete and finished vehicle.They're a competent industry leader in steering components?
    When you said r_ _ rod,I think you lost you lost the interest of the people here?
    This is a competent,traditional hot rod forum,not an also-ran-looks-like-a-hot-rod site.r_ _ rods just ain't the soup of the day here?
    I wish you luck with your project.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

$2000 is chump change for Flaming river. And not a lot for a '64 impala. They can afford it and should be happy to give you what you want for what they want.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A Vega steering unit properly installed with a properly built front suspension will be great for any 38 Ford ratteryrod around.
    The trade jazz is fine but they're not offering anything you want or need, so get the cash. Remember, when it comes to trades the guy who offers the trade should be the guy who gives you MORE not the other way around.
    A "test bed" car is a cheap investment for any chassis parts company so $2K isn;t much. Think what they'll get for it once their new steering unit is proven and offered in the market? Oh, yeah, get it now?

17. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

AMEN to that.

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

$2K cash is the only way.

19. Doesn't sound like the trade will benefit you, no reason to do it.

20. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I'm with the others. FR makes bank on thier parts, $2k is pocket money to them. Offering retail parts prices in exchange would have recieved a big old FU from me.

21. George G

George G

22. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Cash is always king. And I never understand being out of work and spending extra cash on projects when I might need it to live. Good luck with your choice

23. ice

ice

agree with all, CASH or something you do need along with cash, if you need the cash, dont settle for anything you dont need cause its new...

24. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

What bragging rights????? "I sold them a car. THEY built it, but I put my signature on a title" :rolleyes:

I look at it more like "they did what I couldn't do". Not meaning to be an ass, but seriously, what bragging rights?

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

What's the difference? Rat? Rust? Crap? Build something better... :eek:

Bragging rights? You get no bragging rights if you don't build it. Selling it to them isn't worth anything...

26. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Maybe the complete steering system and 1k cash,that way you'll have some do for the 38

27. What about $1000 cash and $1000 credit at the local supply house they use?

s.

28. Shifty nailed it.