Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happened to Back to the Beach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daveyboy56, May 31, 2009.

1. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

What happened to Back to the Beach?
    The show was lame.
    Was it to close to Santa Maria?
    There were more car at the in and out then at the show?

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

HUH !?!

I thought it was a Decent Show ... A bit small but it brought out Alot of People i don't see every day & always a good Time at KiwiKevs afterwards.

My Daughter took her '55 Ford & me in the Sports coupe, We came around 6:30 A.M. & rolled right in.

Stayed till after 3 and never had a Dull Time.

Maybe its all in what ya make of it....

3. Verne

Verne
    from Burbank

We had a great time, as you can see in the other photo threads there were some nice hot rods and customs there and lots of friends at the show yesterday. We've been going to Back to the Beach for 10 years, since back in the Huntington Beach days and I've never known this show to be one of the biggest shows. It's probably half the size of the Primer Nats, held at the same location but these are not the same shows. I guess every show has to be gigantic and have a circus atmosphere these days to be considered not lame. I will tell you, I did not see any fights, or see anybody crash a motorcycle into car or any of that kind of crap at Back to the Beach, like I've seen at many other shows lately.

PS, Kewi Kev, thanks again, always fun.

4. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

I had fun. Got to see some old friends. I'm not into big crowds so it worked out perfect for me. Met Mr. Gambino. That was pretty cool. Worth the drive from Venice

5. Jay71

Jay71

I'd have to agree with Rick and Verne. Ive always considered BTTB a smaller show even before it came to Ventura. Personally, I prefer a little smaller more intimate show with quality cars over the huge overcrowded shows. I didnt do a car count but it seemed to me that there was still a good amount of cars, and lots I dont get to see all the time like the Choppers cars, Beatniks, and Timebombs chevy, I love that car. As long as this show keeps going, I'll continue to support it.

6. Lucky444

Lucky444

Appreciate what you have. Try coming to a car show out here in Hawaii! My wife and I were out there for Santa Maria and wish we could've stayed the extra few days to hit Back To The Beach. I think the economy is putting a damper on everything.

7. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

What???

If your measuring a good show by the number of cars, then I guess the show was still good.

If you measure it by car quality, good times, BBQ, friend, nice weather, location, senic drive to and fro... then the show was great.

8. Small shows are so much better IMHO

9. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

I go to BTTB ever year all i am saying is it was a TON smaller then any before.
    I had fun but missed people that went to Santa Maria.
    When money is tight 2 shows in 1 week may be to much.
    I love the shows at the fair grounds! I only go to shows on Sat.
    So with the date change not as many made it
    I am looking forward to the Primer nats. and BTTB next year

10. stilo

stilo
    from el monte

The show was just right, cool drive up along the coast with some friends..A show with a more easygoing crowd can't knock that..

11. 51shoebox

51shoebox
    from rialto

had a great time and there was a good amount of cars. the weather was awesome

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Awesome ride down, good friends and cool cars. I even enjoyed the ride home.

13. John Denich

John Denich

I had a great time! Kiwi Kevs was great, I really liked the feel of the show.

John

14. yup it was fun. got to see everyone i wanted to see. hopefully this show stays off the 'cool guy' list and remains the same. everyone keep going to santa maria!

15. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Yeah it was smaller than before, and in a big fairgrounds it looks even smaller. But look at the pluses..Great location, bands, ample room, food and drink choices and a bunch more. More people need to support it to keep it going.

16. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

ditto
    we had a good time ! seen people i havnt seen in awhile and that s what it all about the cars "support ", friends and family !

17. daveyboy56

daveyboy56

I hear you all!!
    But did the promoters make the money it cost to get the fair grounds?
    That is all i am saying

18. I drove 7 1/2 hours (one way) to see that show, and it was WELL worth it in my opinion. And I was just as a spectator! The weather made it so nice- I love Ventura.
    BTTB is a great show.

19. cretin

cretin

I thought the show was good. Sure there werent a ton of cars, but I would rather have a smaller gathering with more quality cars instead of a giant show where I have to sift through all the crap.

Unfortunetly I did not get to make it to Kiwi Kev's but hopefully I can next year.

20. Lucky444

Lucky444

Oh yeah, money....hope they made out okay.

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, that goes ditto for me. I met Jaun the Welder, and he treated me to a backstage pass. I will always support Back To The Beach and Primer Nats. Especially because, I am not a fan of the new incarnation of Paso which isn't Paso anymore. So, as a result, I don't bother with it.

Big thanks to Jaun the Welder.:)

22. That's not all you're saying. Just saying;)

23. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

I rolled up thinking about hanging a couple of hours. Ran into some HAMB'ers and had such a good time, ended up staying almost all day.