Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modified Production

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colesy, Apr 1, 2009.

1. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

2. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
    els likes this.
  3. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

smith&welsh, thanks for scanning and posting all those pictures.

els likes this.
  4. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

5. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

A bunch of great cars from a great era. I have to second the kudos for the effort of Smith and Welsh in posting all of the great pics (as well as a bunch of other posters). Someone went thru a bunch of work to preserve the particulars of all of these racers. Makes me want to kick myself for not taking pictures myself. Always was a big fan favorite of the Willys and early Vettes and these pics reinforced in my memory that there were more than a couple Willys and old Vettes running on a regular basis.

Although I always loved the show that the gassers and altereds put on the sound of the high revving modified production cars coming out of the hole was hard to beat. Although we all have our own favorite era I find it hard to beat the mid to late sixties. Still enjoy drag racing today but it was a different world back then. Great thread-Jim

els likes this.
  7. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

8. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

9. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

10. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

11. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

12. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

13. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

15. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Holy Smokes!! Thanks for posting this picture. I spent many many nights and weekends with this Camaro (Phillips/ Grasso) and flat out miss the memories of it. Thanks again!!!

Last edited: May 13, 2009
    els likes this.
  16. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

17. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

18. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

19. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for all of the cool pictures Tim, I wish I had a bunch to contribute. I can get my hands on every issue of Super Stock Illistrated from a friend, but it would take me months to go through them and scan the pictures, and right now I've got to spend most of my time trying to find a job.

els likes this.
  20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

22. bovman

bovman

Here's my E/MP 1955 Chevy that I've had for over 35 years.
    I used to have a 301 small block in it with a tunnel ram and two 660 Holley four barrel carbs. Had to have a 150lb bus battery in the trunk to make class weight. Couldn't keep a 4-spd trans in it, the thing would eat Muncie transmissions like popcorn. To much weight, to many RPM's = LOT'S OF REPAIRS DURING THE RACING SEASON.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Tells us more about the car, drivetrain, E.T.'s and what Speed Shop did you run ?

els likes this.
  24. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

TMcCrea ,Your picture collection must be second to none!! Thanks for sharing too. Who's 57 wagon is that in the picture?? Also,I see the Camaro of Fred Egloff but is that Bob Thompson's vette???Also I see the Wheatley Camaro but who's Schmidt's camaro was that D/MP ?? Thanks

els likes this.
  25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

The owner of the '57's name escapes me at the moment, it may have been Ron Hildebrand. Yes, that is Bob Thompson's Corvette. The Camaro ran out of the Wheatley's shop and was owned by Barry Payne. It was a Baldwin/Motion car and Jenkins said it had the first pair of open chamber cast iron heads he had seen.

The Schmidt's car was Tony Pizzi's which he ran after the stocker. Tony told me that he was getting Jenkin's old heads when the Grump came up with something new for the Vega.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  26. 64 a/fx

64 a/fx

not sure but when we raced him almost every week in 64 and 65 we were never able to beat him. same class, but being in high school no money to protest. at the time we both had 301's 2-4's , him a 4 speed us a 3 speed. still was a lot of fun and will never forget those memories. he had the speed shop, we were still in school and working after school and spending every dime on Harley's 55. in fact one weekend we took off for Tulsa and ran c/mp there, won class and runner up in street elem, came back to amarillo, and got beat by Carroll again.

have yet to hear anyone shift a 4 speed like Carroll, you would swear it was an automatic.

were those the days or what?

Carroll still has the 55 but will not let anyone in to see it or take pictures. still the same as the 60's. heard that in his old shop the roof collasped and damaged the top and that's why it can't be viewed. He bought the car new and has raced it ever since. or up until he started racing a vega in the 70's. never been able to find my old h.s. pictures of us back then but here is a pict of his car I found on the net.

in fact my 55 is patterned somewhat after Carrolls 55 as far as color and interior goes. oh well, such is life.

alan

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  27. sneakyPete

sneakyPete
    Alliance Vendor

I do believe the Mother Nature 57wagon belonged to Pete Siriani. I've met Pete, he's still building engines locally as far as I know. I'd heard about that car, but had never seen a picture of it till 10 minutes ago. This thread is great, thanks everyone for all the fantastic photos!! There's speculation that the car still exists, but I can't confirm it.
    Pete

els likes this.
  28. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Thanks Pete. These are some cool pics of the past..................

els likes this.
  29. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

30. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho