Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 - 54 Chevy Pickup Brake Pivot Retainer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sn33kyp3t3, May 29, 2009.

1. sn33kyp3t3

sn33kyp3t3
    from Tucson, AZ

Before I go hacking up some good old metal, can somebody give me a hand on this piece?

I've searched everywhere, but can't find what was originally used to hold the spring on the brake pivot bracket.

The only thing holding it on when I bought the truck was a banged up washer!

I've tried a snap-ring, and an e-clip, both are too narrow to hold the spring.

I was thinking about drilling the groove and using a cotter pin, so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks y'all.

Attached Files:

2. nickpayton

nickpayton
    from a

3. sn33kyp3t3

sn33kyp3t3
    from Tucson, AZ

@nickpayton I tried that too. No luck.

I've looked at Patricks and LMC but nothing listed. Its probably a $3 part that would make life easy, but don't know where to look. I might just need to drill it and use a pin.

4. from a couple of pics I have found on line & on ebay it looks like it's just a snap ring and I have seen some w/a bent washer. BUT try turning the outer cup around backwards so the spring sits inside the cup & use a thick E-clip or snap ring.
    What I did on my project because I had too, I put the spring on the inside between the clutch pedal slug & the mounting bracket & then pushed everything in & used a thick/wide snap ring to hold it all together.
    A friend of mine is going to take a pick of the washer and said it is an odd bent washer....joe

5. j-dogg

j-dogg

hang on and I'll look

6. j-dogg

j-dogg

Here you go.

Attached Files:

7. sn33kyp3t3

sn33kyp3t3
    from Tucson, AZ

Kick ass! Thanks. I'll do some hardware searching tomorrow, see if I can't find a snap ring to fit.

Those pics are a far cry better than what was on mine ;)