Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metalflake in a spray can...Any options???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, May 9, 2009.

1. BBobb

BBobb

thank you sir.

2. I'm still pretty new here. Is there a place here on the HAMB where I can look at the products the Alliance Vendors have to offer or do I go to their respective websites?

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Gambino, thats a pretty stand up way to do business!
    Haven't dealt with any HAMB vendors yet, but now you're on the top of my list to check out.

Cant wait to see pics and hear about how the paint works.

4. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?page_id=176 this page should tell ya everything ya need to know about the alliance.

5. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I was talking to the vendor at the SM car show about the rattle can flake and they said these tanks were done with the rattle can flake that you activate. The flakes are not huge but they looked nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cretin

cretin

Here is that thread on the jockey journal. They talk about a few options in here.
    http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33177&highlight=metal+flake+spray+paint

I'm really interested in the 4 part thing though. Keep us updated.

7. Sorry, I'm lysdexic.:)

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That looks pretty nice for a spray can. Is this the stuff that Gambino sells?

9. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

sounds like it. one can had an activation button on the bottom and they said it was a multi step process.

10. starion88esir

starion88esir

bbob - Try it out yet? I'd really like to know how much coverage you get out of a can for the cost.

Trying to decide whether it's a better investment in a gun and materials for the items I plan to do, or just the spray cans.

11. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Where do you get that roth bomb stuff in the can? Also any update on the Gambino stuff BBob? I was also curious as to how much that stuff covers, im interested in doing a roof.

12. starion88esir

starion88esir

What Gambino has IS the Roth stuff, but don't hold your breath on finding out how much it covers.

13. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

has anyone used this yet? Very interested in some feedback

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Most spray cans say they cover 12 square feet. I'd bet the Roth stuff would be similar. But I'd still like to know for sure and see some results. I'll be doing the roof of my pickup soon and if this stuff works and looks good, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

15. i use plasti-cote. they do nice metalflake but if you like your flake corse then use thier silver or gold glitter paint followed by thier glass paint over top, then clear. they have red, green, blue n yellow. dont have a can of glitter to show, but do have red glass paint so heres a couple o pics. willys is end result of glass red over silver glitter base.:D

Attached Files:

16. skunx1964

skunx1964

this is the rustoleum blue, about a can, and lots of clear over it. i learned that my prep shoulda been better, as you can see the aluminum casting marks even worse once the paint is on, the other one im doin i puttied up real good and made her real smooth

[​IMG]

it will be like this, when done, with a round plexi top

[​IMG]

17. Billet

Billet

The Gambino Kustom guys are the shit...I'd take his advice and take him up on his generous offer.
    Good Luck

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

Dupli-Color has a metal effects clear that works pretty good over white, looks great on green not so good on black or red.

This is over an off white, buried under lots of clear

[​IMG]

Thats the the red over gray, tons o clear,, if left outside it needs some UV protective clear, cause it fades fast!!!

19. skunx1964

skunx1964

ah ya, i saw that the other day at the store. cool that it looks good

20. oldsman71

oldsman71

yep looks like cool stuff.

21. starion88esir

starion88esir

I'm in the same boat, I'd like to know it will finish what I want and not fall short leaving me to buy more and try to blend it, because I would not be succesful at that. I'd like to do my roof as well, and I like that his clear should protect against UV rays which the rest of them don't. I don't want to do it more than once if I can avoid it.

22. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Here's my system for small stuff no sprayer needed.

Here's the flake on my minibike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the materials.
    [​IMG]

Basically I sprayed the base color = Orange.

Then I poured flake in the can of clear. I then mixed it with an electric drill and a bit. When the flake was mixed in the clear, I dipped the brush in the can and then brushed it on the bike.

NOTE: I put a lot of flake in the can so that the clear/flake mixture was thick so I didn't have to do a lot of coats of clear. I also mixed the flake each time I dipped the brush in.

It's been flaked for about 2 year now and the flake looks rocking in the sun and the clear is hold up very well. (although the bike is in the garage most of the time)

There always more than one way to skin a cat!

23. starion88esir

starion88esir

I have wanted to try your method out and see how it lays and if I was able to keep it nice and flat, not covered in brucsh strokes or orange peel but I've not seen that clear anywhere out here. I've checked everywhere and nothing, and the only crap I find online is the spray cans.

24. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Hey Goozgaz, can you still see the brush strokes when the clear dries?

25. What was I drunk when I originally posted this?

Anyways about 10 years ago I painted that air cleaner blue with the Testors candy "boyds" paint and for the most part even with crappy prep it looks good still.

So if you don't want to drop the money on, or go through all the steps, of the high end paint, or you can find a color in the Testors that you like, I think you can make stuff look just as nice as long as the prep is good - things like your dash, console, that kind of thing. I don't think it would hold up in a situation where you are waxing and polishing it a lot, is all. Would take some playing to see what clears you can use with it, the Testors clear is really thin stuff.

I think the last can I bought was $3.50, inflation from the days when it was $2.50. They're only 3 or 4 ounces so they won't cover a lot, but at that price if you need a case of them it's not that bad to buy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  26. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

How much flake did it take? And what about brush strokes, did they show up?

27. BBobb

BBobb

Ok fellas i get the message on this one.I am a contractor and sometimes it's beans on the table or working on my cars.....Well i hope you get it.I am going to be able to take a break in a couple of days to finish up a few things on the 39 seeing has i am trying to get ready for Billitproof in two weeks .At that point i will be able to start and document the various stages of the flake job with my camera.Again sorry about the delay

bryan

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Beans are overrated. Do that flake job so we can all give Alex our money.:D

29. BBobb

BBobb

Will be done by no later than Friday afternoon my friend