Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Need an opinion (upholstery)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, May 28, 2009.

1. I need an opinion. How's that for teeing myself up?
    I'm building the 'glass '29 in my avitar. Was an old altered, I'm making a hot rod out of it with a '60's competition theme as that's when it was built.
    Here's my question. To me, nothing screams '60's competition like diamond pleat upholstery. The car will have the original hand lettered and striped paint job that is on it now, and I plan to find a vinyl color that matches the chassis, bright red.
    I remember back in the day seeing all the gassers and altereds with that killer diamond pleat on their insides, and I think it would lock the car in one period better than roll and pleat. Tony Nancy would be proud!
    What do you guys think? :cool:

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

3. 2-TONED

2-TONED

RIGHT ON!
    how about red metal flake?!

4. Sounds great!

Be sure to keep the other interior details '60's era correct- things like Diest competition belts, Sun tach, an STP sticker or two, maybe a Covico, Grant or Moon metalflake steering wheel, prominently mounted fire extinguisher, and most importantly, no visible "street rod" labels.

5. Diamond pleat bright red vinyl sounds good for that car. If you make the diamonds bigger, like 4 or 5 inches tall, it'll look better. Smaller diamond pleats would make it look more like it's from the early '70s.

You might want to get "marine grade" vinyl, which will hold up to the sun better than some of the automotive stuff.

6. gillgonzalez

gillgonzalez
    from San Diego

7. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Looks great.....................Rich

8. I have 3"red belts, they are RSI not Diest.One of them is the belt that was in the car as a race car. Don't know that I've ever seen a decent set of Diest around here.
    I have a Dixco tach to mount up on the top of the dash rail
    I have a 17" red three spoke sprint car wheel in it now for mockup, but I plan to use a 17" four spoke Limeworks in it finished.
    Thanks for the reminder about the fire extinguisher. That means a change in the rolll bar to include a down tube to the front floorboard. A perfect place to mount the fire extiguisher.
    I'll have to check the stickers to see if I have any "new" ones.
    I realize this car is o/t here, but it's what I have, and I'm sticking with it.
    I finally broke down and created a photobucket account so everybody wouldn't keep having to go to my personal page, but after Cris and I spent the most of yesterday morning trying to figure out how to transfer from photobucket to a thread, and wondering why if I have an album I have to have photobucket, we finally gave up. It shouldn't be that hard, and I'm sure that the world will go on if I never post any pictures anyway.
    Sorry for the rant, this 60 year old retired warehouse worker doesn't speak computer very well.
    Thanks for your input, Mike :cool:

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  9. Yeah!! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!! :cool::cool:

10. I like the metalflake, but in Texas it sticks to you like a red hot cast iron skillit, and won't stand up to the sun. :eek::eek:

11. Muttley

Muttley

Sounds cool, heres my seat/door panels I just had done for my Comet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

:) Great for the era! 6"tall by 3" wide (before sewing) was pretty common.

13. the-rodster

the-rodster

That car is definetly NOT O/T here!

Rich

14. Muttly! I ran across this page while I was searching, and printed it out so when I go to the upholsterer (sp?) I can show him exactly what I want. Right size, no buttons, no flash. Looks like it could have come out of a Willys back in the day.
    It's the same stuff that was in the digger I crewed on in the early '70's.
    I've been shopping around for different, spell that cheaper, ways of doing my interior, but now I'll have to involve a pro to do this.
    Thanks for the pics, Mike

15. Thanks for the flowers, Rich, but we both know it doesn't have a steel body, or a flat motor, or bias tires, or one of Henry's sheet metal frames.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Too bad you are half way across the country or I'd send you to the guy who did mine............$425 bucks for the seat and all four panels.

17. I know!! These guys around here are talking $2500-3000 ! That's goofy!
    :eek::eek::eek:

18. rick finch

rick finch

Mike, it's an old race car...most intelligent (and I emphasize intelligent!) guys on here would love to have your car, so shut up already!!!:D

19. Yes sir....I get on my rant sometimes......:eek::eek:

20. brewsir

brewsir

nice looking car!
    On photobucket when you put the arrow on the picture there should be a drop down menu that comes under it. I usually just left click the bottom option...img code..copy it and paste it right onto your message (copy and paste are both done with the right click buttom on your mouse in case you didn't know) Hope this helps because I would like to see lots of pics!!!

21. To Tall

To Tall

What he said .what’s a glass body?:D

22. LXTURBO2000

LXTURBO2000
    from NEW MEXICO

does anybody know where i can buy metalflake upholstry material? thanks

23. Let's try this......[​IMG]

24. Yeahhh!!!! Thanks brewsir!! News at 11 !!!!!!

25. mikes51

mikes51

The album feature is really great, I like how it even resizes your pics for you when you load them up. I think people are using photobucket just because they already had photobucket accounts before the personal album feature was introduced.

Maybe trends were different in other parts of the country, but I always remember the diamond tuck in black color upholstery in my area. Some of the cheaper jobs just had the diamond shaped thread pattern and weren't as "deep" in the sewn areas. The two photo examples shown earlier are really thick, quality looking jobs.

26. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

27. this is where the car is now. I plan to add a small roll bar, 22jr. style.
    I'm still struggling with adding pics, so bear with me....

[​IMG]

So that didn't work worth a damn....is there a tutorial for posting pictures, or should I have been born with this knowledge!

28. So Cris and I tried yesterday for another hour to figure out how to upload my album to a thread. No luck. I'm beginning to think it's not worth the effort. It's like learning a foreign language on the street corner....:mad:

29. OK,I have it coming!!
    I finally decided to read the instructions!
    I found the FAG's today on posting pictures, and I'll show them to Cris later. She's wayyy more computer litterate than I am, I'm a warehouse worker, we don't need no stinkin' computers! :eek::eek::eek: