Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Hydra-matic removal question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Super88, May 29, 2009.

1. Super88

Super88

I thought I saw a post regarding this a long time ago, but my search couldn't locate it.
    I need to swap the transmission in my 55 Olds for one I had rebuilt. I know that due to the way the motor and transmission mounts, the rear of the motor needs to be supported when the transmission is removed. The service manual refers to a support bar tool for this purpose. I'm sure that plenty of people have pulled one of these without the factory tool and I'm wondering what was used in it's place. I'm well aware of how heavy these things are and want to do the job as safely as possible.
    Thanks.

2. wcreek

wcreek

Just did a 59, used 2- 2x4's from cowl to rad support, and 2- 1" ratchet straps. No problems.

3. pete324rocket

pete324rocket

floor jack and pieces of wood unless your up in the air on a lift.Not that heavy if you work methodically.Some wrestling,part of the fun.

4. 55oldsrocket

55oldsrocket
    from Santa Ana

like pete324rocket said. floor jack and peices of wood. make sure to have extra help,the trans is heavy. and jack up the car as high as possible so when you remove it you can slide the trans under the car easily.