Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cheetahs Always Win-sort of...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller91, May 28, 2009.

1. miller91

miller91

They had promise and always wanted to win, but these very cool hand builts never reached the full development they needed. Ass over the diff, engine in your face, doors that literally blew off...what else would you want in a daily driver? The continuation Bill Thomas Cheetahs look pretty nice I must say...

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool cars, like a stumpy daytona Coupe. These things are very muscular, I always expect to see two very big balls hanging from the diff!
    Doc.

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

4. these woulda kicked ass on the fords if chevy had honored their promise and backed the Cheetah one of the coolest cars I have ever ridden in

5. What a monster. I remember all the Cheetah slot cars at the local slot car track, Rogers hobby land or Orr's in Wichita.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Although they are a wicked car they were too ill handling to have ever been truly serious competition. Short wheel base was the issue, but hell I do love them (And that coming from a die hard Ford and Daytona Coupe fan!)
    Doc.

7. racer756

racer756

i can see one sitting nose in the air, with a straight axle, and a blown injected SBC, Flaked paint..racing strip.

Oh man...

8. James427

James427
    BANNED

There used to be one sitting on the front lawn iof a run down house in Redford Micjigan. A red one. I used to just sit and stare at that car. Didn't have two nickels so it was not worth even asking about it. But it stuck with me.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Checkered Flag hobby in St.Louis, Concord Plaza downstairs.

Those cars are rolling sex! Plain and simple

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Talk about power to weight. Bob, the guy in Arizona who does those originally built them out of his house in my old neighborhood. One of them had a rowdy sounding big block with 3 2's. As he passed by one day he goosed it and I could see the car speed up. I mean really speed up like F1 or Indy car style.

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  12. Hellfish

Hellfish

One of my favorite cars. There's one that races at Elkhart lake. LOVE that sound.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i30.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/Hellfish122/MVI_5113.flv">

13. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

I saw on at a mexican restaurant near me about 5 yrs ago. The owner wasn't around but it was cool as hell and looked to have a bbc through the hood vents!

14. racer5c

racer5c

Bill Thomas built them in space he rented from my dad in Anaheim CA., Don Edmunds did the bodies on them, if you don't know who Don Edmunds is so a search on here, then go to his website too

15. miller91

miller91

Don Edmunds rocks

16. zzford

zzford

As kick-ass a car that has ever been built !

17. That too. :D

18. vntodd

vntodd

There used to be one that a guy here in Minnesota bracket raced years ago. Always showed up at the track in an enclosed trailer with glass sides so you could see the car in there. Really Kool!

Todd

19. Steve 38

Steve 38

Ahhhhhhhhh, the Cheetah. What a beautiful car, and staunch too. The wheelbase was 90 inches, same as a Cobra, and they had better weight distribution, and with 520hp, had good power too. Jerry Titus tested the prototype, and gave a glowing report, which brought in a flood of orders.

Thomas needed to build at least 100 cars in a year for it to be elligible to race against the Cobras, and GM were going to tip some money in to help. But Thomas had to turn his focus on to production, so the much needed development suffered, hense the immense cockpit heat, and chassis flex.

Then it became apparent GM weren't going to help in the capacity hoped, then the factory burnt down. Apparently only around 20-26 cars were built, so they had to compete in the prototype class. One of those great woulda-shoulda-coulda stories.

20. haulAss or GTFO

haulAss or GTFO

i see now where tuscan got their design from, thats a cool little car

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I concur. Don is the man.

22. skywolf

skywolf

[​IMG]

Instant Motion Cheetah

23. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I think the name fits the car.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That photo, above, was at Lions, but the first time I ever saw this car was at Fontana. Man, what a stunner, beautiful color, unreal detail work. Almost 45 years later now, but I remember it like it was yesterday,,,

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I've always liked those cars. Alot of the drag versions were Fiberglass Trends bodies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

One of my favorites too, Doug. I wish I had seen it in person, it looks like a copper metalflake. I just noticed the front wheels, only 4 lugs. What kind of chassis were the FT cars running?

27. 69fury

69fury

with over 50%on the rear wheels and a limp chassis, they got out of hand real quick. Zora Duntov brought one in to test on GM's skidpad, and it set a record for Gforce in a turn.

28. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ball-park figure on what they weighed?

29. Steve 38

Steve 38

Just over 1500 pounds

30. talker

talker

At one time there was Cheetah in Easley S.C. owned by a druggest on main street He race it in vintage sports car events in the southeast.I saw this car at road atlanta in the late 90s Talker