Register now to get rid of these ads!

Multi disc cluth... Junk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by couver, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. couver

couver

Ive been told by several people to junk this assembly. [oh, sorry this is the early '28 ford multi-disc] Any way its just sittin' I dont need it, but, wtf, is there any group of people that use these for anything?

2. cactus zach

cactus zach

3. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Posted in the MAY Banger meeting thread.

The disadvantage of the multi disk clutch is that oil from the rear main would get into the clutch assembly and mix with dust from the clutch disks and cause the disks to hang up in the flywheel. The clutch would also chatter because of problems with the disks releasing.

That's why Ford changed early (about Nov 1928) to the single disk clutch. It can get rather expensive to rebuild a multi disk clutch. More than just the clutch is involved. It will also take some doing to change it out because of major differences.

To change from a multi disk clutch to a single disk clutch you must replace the flywheel, flywheel housing, pressure plate and clutch disk, and transmission.

The early transmission for the multi disk clutch had a different front main driver gear and shaft and no throw-out bearing.
    The early transmission case was not tapped for the bolts that hold the front bearing cover, which is a snout (housing) for the throw out bearing slider (hub) to ride on. If you get a later transmission, make sure it has the front retainer which is the slider snout for the throw-out bearing, and the throw-out bearing hub. -- Les Andrews, Technical Director

Vintage sprints & midgets used cut down multi disk clutches to provide a powerful, low inertia, clutch and more foot room in narrow, single seat, cockpits. Generally, the friction linings were removed from the plates and additional steel plates are installed to maintain the clutch pack thickness. Any oil mist from the rear main didn't have a negative effect on the steel plates and is reported to have given a smoother engagement, like an oil bath motorcycle clutch.

56don likes this.
  4. couver

couver

seriously? two responses? fuktards....

5. Well, I guess I wouldn't expect any more responses after that.

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

You're mad? :confused: It's not like your question made a lot of sense.

7. What a tool....:mad:

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are you seriously complaining about get only 2 responses to a freaking question about a Model AR Ford multiple disc clutch?
    On a Restorer's Forum you wouldn't find 10 guys who would answer because the only AR Multi-disc clutch cars are in Grandpa's garage waiting to be changed to single disc clutches as soon as they can find the new parts for free.
    I'm surprised actually that 2 other guys here even heard of Model AR multi-disc clutches rather than the 60s-70s drag car versions by Hayes and others. This archaic stuff doesn't mean much on a hot rod forum.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've got three NOS ones for future sprint car projects, so I'll pass. That gives you another reply if you're keeping score.

10. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

Yeah, I had to look it up.

<TABLE id=entries><TBODY><TR><TD class=word>fuktard </TD><TD class=tools id=tools_1125838></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD class=text id=entry_1125838 colSpan=2>1. A fucking retard.
    2. One who lacks the social graces given to even the most rudimentary of mossy vegitation.
    3. One who has lost all sense of reality whilst performing even the most menial of tasks.
    "I believe James might be a fuktard."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. I'd say 88daryl88 gave ya about as concise an answer as you could hope to get. Being a dick ain't a good way to solicit future help on this board.

12. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

hey post banger questions on the banger board ya will get lot's of responses there, and some might be nicer too
    Ken

13. krooser

krooser

What's a "cluth"?....

Elrod and Just Gary like this.
  14. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

There was a reason that Ford only put em in the early cars.

15. couver

couver

You guys are right. I apologize.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good for you! Put that thing in the classifieds or eBay and fund whatever you're building.

17. Egoebel

Egoebel

At 18 years old, I bought an early 28 Tudor in 1963, had multi-disc clutch, fried; hole in trans case, pickup load of parts for $100. Installed '29 flywheel, trans, and new clutch, press plate, still have the '28; getting ready for a re-do.
    Have the, '28, clutch Trans assembly, the flywheel is the base for my bird feeder.

18. EGOEBEL..Please READ the rules for the HAMB>>located at the top of the Introduction page,,
    AND replying to an 8 year old thread,makes us wonder about you

19. ..for a first post.

That's what happens when you google 'fucktard.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.