Register now to get rid of these ads!

OH NO! Horrible error painting...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, May 27, 2009.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Just got home from picking up the Fusion. I have to say it is the best driving gallon of primer we've ever had...

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Best gallon of primer I ever bought...

Attached Files:

3. duste01

duste01

Now when you get more.....take a bit of colored masking tape, or a colored sharpy marker and run a ring of masking tape around the bottom of the can and write on it yourself and code it so you will never have to deal with that particular problem again.

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Good idea! Combine that with thowing out the 'KwikPrime' catalyst I don't even have the primer for, and I should be error free!:D

5. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

I hope you cleaned the paint gun when you realized the bo bo

6. EV34

EV34

i did that same thing last year i was in a hurry and my sister wanted to help so i set every thing out and showed her how much of each to put in and to have it all stirred.....(thinkin i would save time and maybe get her more interested in cars and by mistake she grabbed somethin else) i go to sprayin and its nothin but a jello like putty save to say i had to redo it.....its a good laugh now

7. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Good times, good times.

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Oh well........shit happens . That's how we learn , by mistakes !
    The first one that tells you they have never made a mistake on something either never did a damn thing or they are a lier ! :eek:

9. GASSER STEVE

GASSER STEVE

Been down that road of terror, got a tip for ya if ya care, with perm. markers I color code the caps of the activators and hardners along with the lids of primers & paints to keep things seperate. Works for me just thought I'd pass it on....GASSER STEVE

10. Oops, well I think most of us have made similar mistakes that cost time and money. I'm glad you got it all sorted out and didn't just walk away in frustration.

11. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i bought one of those portable garages to paint my car in{big tent}.there was no way for me to be able to clean my garage.i was on the 4th coat of flake,i went to go outside to start to mix up another gallon of clear.i had a fan in the doorway to try to get some of the fumes out when i kicked it over!!!to my suprize it fell backwards in the tent not out.what was also really nice is that it had a bunch of drywall and bondo dust all over it!!!!{i guess i should have cleaned it first}well nedless to say when it fell over i watched a huge cloud of dust go up and then down right on the back of my car.there wasnt much i could do but go and have a few beers!!!!after about an hour i went back in and lightly took a tack cloth and got most of it out. then when i was on the 4th coat of clear my resperator filters cloged up{it was like trying to breath through a 10 ft long straw.i had enough clear mixed up for one more coat but there was no way i was going back in there.{4 COATS IS ENOUGH,SO ITS BEER THIRTY}

12. Balls Out Garage

Balls Out Garage
    from Arkansas

Sounds way too familiar...

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Just finished priming everything. I'm happy to report I used the correct catalyst, reducer, didn't drop any fenders on the floor, drag the hose over anything, trip and fall into the car, lean on wet paint, nor forget to mask anything off that shouldn't have primer overspray on it. Yippee. :D

Now more wet sanding. Yippee. :rolleyes: This weekend I should have color on it.

I did make some kinda cool little stands to put the fenders on, way better than hanging things from the clothesline. It's going to be kind of a pain to paint yet, but I think I'll paint all the little stuff, fenders, hood, grill, headlight buckets etc. on Sat. morning. Then, by afternoon I should be able to move all that stuff outside, take the doors and trunk lid off the body and paint them and the body tub separately. At least, that's the plan for now.

14. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

When i was a kid my dad was gettin ready to spray out a car and i was getting my truck ready for a show, when i went to armour all the tires pops yelled at me not to. So i went around the corner where he couldnt see me and used the armour all. I spent the next week re preppin the car for him. If armour all type products are even near where your sprayin its gonna cause problems. I dont even keep those type products anywhere near where i paint anymore.

15. dutchhoward

dutchhoward

now thats a definate " OH @#$#@!"

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

1) Done that, put undercoat catylist in my clear - wasted the mix.
    2) Put Topcoat hardner in my base coat (it takes no hardner) it never dried, had to wipe it all off.

17. Thanks for sharing, that's a funny story though painful.

18. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

25k primer... reminds me of the $200 calzone I had on vacation last week when I managed to get my rental car towed only after only being in town for a couple hours. Got to check out the impound lot in the greater South Atlanta area :rolleyes:

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

In keeping with my tradition of horrible accidents while painting, I present...

TODAY'S MISTAKE!!

I had shot the basecoat on the fenders and headlights on their little stands, the hood sides were laying down on the "work table" of planks on sawhorses, hood sides and other pieces hanging from the wire. First coat of clear on the headlights, and doing the last fender, I bumped another just cleared fenders stand. This tipped over against a headlight stand, which I caught but got fingerprints on, but not before it bumped the OTHER headlight stand, which tipped completely over, the headlight fell on a hood side, rolled off and fell on the floor. Like dominoes, over stuff went.:eek:

Happily, the headlight bucket wasn't dented, but it did leave a streak of clear on the hood side and one tiny scratch thru to the primer, so that has to be completely sanded and repainted as do both headlight buckets. The fender was unscathed, aside from a little dust from somewhere.

Since I have to paint the body and doors yet, it's no big deal, but I do think I'm going to have to get another quart of basecoat, just to be sure I have enough. They LOVE me at the paint supply store...

The rest of the panels, hood tops, dash, trunk lid, dash, fenders, and the one un-scratched hood side look GREAT, so I guess I'm gonna call it a success. Tommorrow, I'll block out and mask off the body and doors, lay out the pinstripe and mask that off, so Monday I can order another quart of basecoat, go get that and get the rest painted and cleared.

Hopefully, no further screw ups, I'm going to get the shop cleaned up a little so things aren't so crowded for the rest!

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Here are the photos I thought I loaded. What could possibly go wrong with the way I have the fenders set up?

Attached Files:

21. striper

striper

We live in parallel universes, Brian.

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Is that '03 Nissan Tank Green? I did a bike that has similar shaped fenders as yours in the same color. I thought you stole my pics lol. Take your time and do a walk-through of your spray area and learn how to get through it in what order so you minimize the risk of bumping stuff over. Not all of us have huge booths with room to fit a tour bus, lol!

23. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

ahahhahha, that's my story too!

24. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

yea late nights long hours i painted hole cars tri coat (base/candy/clear) forgot to put hardner in clear spent 2 days with a razor blade scraping to staRT ALL OVER AGAIN

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No, it's a fleet color from a buddy's Dupont chip book. The fenders are '36 Ford spare covers for fronts, '37 Buick sidemount covers widened two inches for the rears. I like 'em.

I cleaned up the shop this morning, cleaned and dusted the bench, put all the cans of reducer away, so I have ONLY the materials I'll need out for the base and clear. I've rearranged the sawhorse/plank bench and have the doors laid out so I can get around without bumping them or dragging the hose over them.

The body has ben DA'd with 320, I'm just taking a coffee break and gonna block it out with 360 and then 600, and it'll be ready to shoot after I mask it off.

No errors today!

Brian

26. prl98

prl98

More than once I got in a hurry and forgot to put the lid on the gun, FUN TIMES!
    Brain you might try screwing the part stands to the bench, I figured that one out after knocking stuff over myself.

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, that did occur to me as the stuff was falling over like dominoes! I didn't 'cause I thought I needed to be able to move 'em around to paint all the surfaces. I got all the boo boo's feathered out, waiting a bit for all the H20 to dry up before I mask off the body to shoot.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Got the rest of the car painted, including the stuff I goofed up yesterday. Thrilled to report that everything went great, the clear laid down like glass, and only one small bug lit in the drivers door. :D I think he'll pretty much buff right out.

Attached Files:

29. gas pumper

gas pumper

How come the shop floor isn't green??:)

Looks kinda like 1950's Ma Bell green.

Good color.

30. sololobo

sololobo

F. B., big balls for admitting your easy to do goof up. We have all been there!! Looks like the end result is super cool. Dig that color=more is less!! Nice ride bud. Congrats man. ~Sololobo~