Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 gasser less the staight ax

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 56Chevynut, May 27, 2009.

1. 56Chevynut

56Chevynut

Hello from Massachusetts.
    I purchased my 56 a year ago as an uncompleted project car, they did however complete the frame off part already and have all the new parts ready to reassemble the car.

I am making it a gasser less the straight axle, hence my first forum question is related to the front 'A' frames on the car and how to get as much height in the front end as possible. In photos that I have seen with 'A' frame cars, the factory height aligns the center of the wheel spindle with the bottom of the front gravel pan. In the higher 'A' frame photos that i'v seen, the top of the wheel aligns with the gravel pan. In straight axle cars the top of the tire aligns with the bottom of the gravel pan.

My question is how to get the max front end height using 'A' frames.

Some discussions with my pals have been using early 60's Impala 'A' frames, using a 'raised' spindle vs. a 'drop' spindle, using station wagon coil springs or BB rated springs or a body lift.

I have posted photos of this type of setup.

Attached Files:

2. brady1929

brady1929

welcome to the hamb. this area is for introductions. tell us a little more about yourself and then post this question in the general discussion portion of the hamb.

3. GASSER STEVE

GASSER STEVE

Hey 56' don't know how high ya want it but I put a coil spring that was 4 in. taller than the stock spring on my 1rst 55 chevy & it jacked it up front pretty good. The spring was the same diam. as the stock spring which is important for the pig tail to correctly fit in the seat of the a-arm & the frame some big block springs are to big in diam. Also you'll have to remove the rubber knob stop under the upper control arm to keep it from coil binding which will cause the spring to break. The 2nd 55 chevy I built, messin' around I designed & fabbed a straight axle using a spec 80 bar & configured stock ball joints to my high rise menace & like I hoped it tracked good & the 55 handled nicely. This was a design that I come up with because the king pins were so worn out & the way this worked out the ball joints would never wear out for they would only pivot on their axis & not rotating the ball in an up and down movement. Back to the springs unfortunately I'm not sure what the coil springs came out of, got them from a swap meet years ago from a pile off a trailer some guy had. Hope this helps ya.....GASSER STEVE

4. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

Any reason your against a straight axle for it?

5. 56Chevynut

56Chevynut

I would like the option to bring the car back to somewhat stock later on, I do not want to cut it up at this time, I would like to drive it this season.
    Thanks,
    56Chevynut

6. Side

Side
    from Berlin, OK

Welcome, yes do tell a little about yourself. Post your question on the message board and you will quickly get an answer.

7. dannyego

dannyego

wagon springs and ball joint spacers. any bigger springs and youll have problems

8. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy