Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric a/c compresor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fnjunk, May 8, 2009.

1. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Has anyone use a electric a/c compressor?
    I am building a 57 Buick with a 364 Nailhead and mounting brackets are a hassle so i am thing about a electric compressor as the i can hide it in the inner gaurd. Any advice welcome:confused:

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

BTTT - this is actually not a bad idea for many rods. Power is power, and it takes the same amount of HP to drive it with a belt or a motor (except, of course, for the inefficiencies of the alternator/charging circuit). Many late model cars are going to electric a/c compressors and power steering because it facilitates engine-stop capabilitiy, a very logical way of improving mpg.

I would be very interested in knowing what late-model a/c compressors would work. They would be just the ticket on a rod where you do not want to clutter up the engine compartment but still want A/C. You could mount the compressor anywhere.

3. TysonGreenfield

TysonGreenfield

on semi's were using devices called apu's (auxillary power units) and some of these are strickly battery powered dc hvac units you may try googling some of them and find a local dealer and just get the parts you need.
    Tyson

4. sawzall

sawzall

what late models are using electric drive a/c compressors???

5. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

These late model cars, generally hybrids, use special compressors, special oils, 3 phase power thru an inverter, etc = specially expensive. If accidentally contaminated with even traces of incompatabile oils, can be catastrophic to the systems calling for replacement of all components. Manufacturers recommend dedicated gauge and hose sets as to not contaminate these systems. They also have high voltage systems that need to be serviced with linemans gloves. Not user friendly. The tree huggers will be quite surprised when they take their eco cars in for service only to be told "dealer only" and then be shocked when the estimate comes back at $3,000. Lets all go hug a tree :(

6. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Most hybrids use a 300V system, thats why they have new "CUT HERE" labels on the inside of the door jambs, so the javw of life don't cut through that high voltage stuff.

Mark

7. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

You'll want an extra battery, too, isolated as in RVs.
    It wouldn't have to be full-size, but you could easily run out of juice running a drain like that.
    And be prepared to have an extra alternator in stock.

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Run your compressor off your drive shaft.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Basic laws of physics: nothing is free. AC is gonna cost you the same basic draw whether you go electric or belt drive.
    Belt drive is easier, to prove my point look at any RV motorhome. If electric was really better, they wouldn't have a belt drive compressor up front.

10. Sanyo &Denso make some pretty small compressors all belt drive Or use a tranny with a PTO

11. BISHOP

BISHOP

So does vintage air. I dont know if they make their own compressors, but what they sell are small.

12. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Vintage Air compressors are Sanden (Sanyo), model 508. Bob