Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ultimate '55 Chevy 4-to-2 door Conversion!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Apr 6, 2009.

1. c57heaven

c57heaven

<TABLE width=734 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Here's one that looks like it was finished well.</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Fantastic job on the 59 and the 55!!!!
    Really shows talent, and creativity!!!

I love the combo effect, of the 55!!
    Best of both worlds, and has to be a real attention getter!!!
    I would have been tempted, on the 55, to on the the 4door side, to have used factory hubcaps, and whitewalls, etc, and named the car BIPolar!!!
    That way it would confirm, the wife's diagnosis, of me!!lol

Shadetree

3. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Shadetree,

Thanks for the encouraging words. 90% of the hobby could give shit what the cowl tag says, it is still techically a 2-door done factory correct.

I am not that talented of a metal guy, but I do know one and Mark is reason the car turned out so good. I still think I could have tackled the project 100% myself if I really took my time and measured everything.

The conversion portion was relatively easy compared to fitting the rockers, floors, and trunk pan.

I think anyone with decent welding skills and some time could do this conversion with a solid donor car in couple of weekends.

4. TheBandit

TheBandit

Anybody know how well this would go for a 71 torino?

5. You did a much nicer job then other conversions of this nature. Anybody seen the 55-57 4 to 2 door conversion on "youtube"? great work!

6. evol55

evol55

That blue and white 55 is ebay right now . They call it a 55 3 door. I wonder who did that ?

7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Progress pictures................NO Bondo ,just metal work so it is not perfect.

Spray bomb factory blue and the side trim makes a big difference.

Attached Files:

lucky and lewk like this.
  8. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Looks cool. Good work.

9. Squablow

Squablow

The car looks great, the floors look excellent. I doubt anyone would ever question that paint as being original unless they knew. What are you planning for seats?

This really makes me want to knock out my '57 Chevy soon.

10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Squablow,

I have some early Impala buckets or a line on a orginal split bench that a gold chainer dumped for mazda buckets.

I am leaning toward the bench because it is cheap.

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That looks great!

Where did you get the factory turquoise in a spray can that matched?

12. Squablow

Squablow

Those factory split benches are worth some pretty good coin, I've seen them do as much as $700 needing to be recovered. I would grab that even if you don't plan to use it, someone needs that and you could make some money on it.

Did you buff through the paint at the top of the quarters, with red oxide underneath, to get that effect, or did you paint the blue around that area? It looks natural that way. It's one thing to make a 4 door into a 2 door, it's another to be able to keep the old paint without it looking off.

13. kraka138

kraka138

man you need to fog that with some black to match the fenders

14. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Tower Paints in Wisconsin can do any factory color in spray bomb enamel for $15.95 a can. They have a website.

15. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I did not buff the area just lightly sanded the red oxide over the enamel to match and then I fogged in some old brick rust color. I need to spend some more time on it but it looks ok for now. The driver's side sat in sun too long in that field and there is not much paint left, so trying to match the rust is futile.

16. FETT

FETT

Is there any place to get this done ?
    Any idea of how much? ballpark is fine
    I picked up my 56 4 door after seeing
    this done on youtube
    thanks FETT

17. kiwi55

kiwi55

Here's the 56 I did back in New Zealand in the mid 70's.

And using 2 door doors is cheating, we didnt have access so cut 2/3's (approx) off the front of 1 set of doors and 2/3rs off the rear and joined them. I eventually got original stainless trim.

Here's a link http://www.shadwick.com/index_files/Nostalgia_Chevy.htm
    ...Paul

Attached Files:

segajeep likes this.
  18. WOW lots of work, looking good so far. I'd have found a 2 door and sold the 4 door, guess I don't have the drive to do that.

19. Racewriter

Racewriter

I kind of look at these conversions as "design freedom." I mean, with the value of Tri-5 Chevys these days, I wouldn't even think about cutting up a 2-door Bel Air, even a post car, for a custom. But a 4-door? Sure, why not? And if converting it to a 2-door is part of the cutting, who cares?

20. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i think its cool, i did a 4 door 57 into a conv ,and now im doing a 53 willys 4 door aero to a 2 door ..cut it up:cool: ..wish my scanner worked s i could post some pics of the 57 ..:mad:

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I think you could get Mark at E-street to do another one for around $3,500 labor if you have all the parts. I did all the finish welding-grinding and saved considerable amount of money, but it was alot of work.

22. FETT

FETT

thanks thats not as bad as i thout

23. Babyblue57

Babyblue57
    from Argentina

Looks very nice. Can you tell me how do you solved the rear windows conversion? Do they work? Are they fixed?

Thanks!

24. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

The rear windows will roll up and down just like factory, because they are just like factory. We used the inner quarter panel structure from the 2 door.

The best part about this conversion is it totally factory correct, using the same seams and the way the factory put the cars together.

25. Babyblue57

Babyblue57
    from Argentina

I might not have the chance of getting spare parts from a 2 door. Do you think it is also possible of getting the read windows operative with just the original 4 door parts ( maybe I'm able to get a 2 door window regulator) ???

26. FETT

FETT

where is E-street wich state

27. I did this same conversion about 12yrs ago, simplest thing i have ever done! We had a donor car for the doors and quarters so it went real quick. the first night we spent about 3 hours on it and had both doors on and both B pillers out and cleaned up. next day we cut the quarters off the donor car and trimmed them up and got them set in place and started fitting the door gaps and final trimming of the quarters, by the end of the day it was ready to be welded. next day we welded it all up and finished off the body work on the quarters. we did not take out the dogleg and rear jamb, it was a buisness coupe so it had fixed rear windows also. it was something to bet the guys at the car shows it used to be a 4dr, won a few bucks on that, just showed them the rear dogleg and stricker plate and it shut them up! if someone is contemplating this don't be afraid it is pretty straight foward. gotta see if i can find the pics and scan them in and post up a few.

28. Babyblue57

Babyblue57
    from Argentina

Yeah, it would be great to have some pictures. From your standpoint the conversion seems straightforward. Thanks for sharing you experience.

29. uglydog56

uglydog56

I am seriously considering doing this same thing to my 56 4dr. 2 door on my side but 4dr on the pass side so the kids can actually get in the back seat.

30. Well you would be living up to your name!:D