Register now to get rid of these ads!

Henry Gregor Felsen "Hot Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hjfelsen, May 27, 2009.

1. hjfelsen

hjfelsen

It has been a long time coming, but the website is up and being developed as we go. I've been working on my own photography business, taking care of sick friends and relatives, and just trying to keep my head above water, but I finally made some progress, and will keep adding to it.
    Big news: we are working on publishing the books!! I will keep you posted!!!
    I have appreciated all the support I've received from this group. You have made me feel like this project needs to be done!
    Holly

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Holly, that's great. Your dad, along with his body of work should be read and remembered by future generations. It was certainly a large part of my youth.

GV

3. Can you post a link?
    My Father knew your's in Vermont. We each have an autographed set of books which we treasure. I would love to get another set for my Daughters and send my dad a link to the site.
    Thanks.
    Brett C.

4. nick_s

nick_s
    from Ohio

YES!!!! Thanks for all the effort! Please post a link to the site for us

5. hjfelsen

hjfelsen

6. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Cool site Holly. Yes your Dad does need recognition.....his books influenced so many of us that his place in Hot Rod history is a lock....I'm proud of you for doing this for him. I know I'll always treasure my signed copy of his collection. Keep us posted........

7. slow cheetah

slow cheetah
    from missouri

Hey Holly,

It's interesting that you posted up this thread because I just started reading your father's "HotRod" book today ! After reading your intro pertaining to the quest for some of your father's books I decided to go research a few of them to read for myself. I made a list of the books your father wrote(mostly the car oriented ones) and asked my wonderful wife to help me check and see If the local library had any of the books for check out. Well sure enough...I found every book that I was looking for! I figured that I would start with "hotrod" and keep on reading.
    Sorry to bore you and everybody else who just read this...just wanted to let you know that you have sparked interest to others here.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  8. 5window

5window

Thanks,Holly.We'll look forward to updates. I'd love to add to my book collection.

9. Excellent news!

Max

10. Holly,

I still have the books from 35 years ago. I've found several on Ebay which is a great place to find the various editions. I also have the commemorative edition of 6 books with your Dad's signature. This is really great news...Good Luck and we're all here ready to help...Thanks for doing this, as it really stirs emotions.

Murph

11. 41woodie

41woodie

Holly I had the pleasure of meeting your father when he was promoting the reissue of his books. He was at the Oklahoma City NSRA meet and there was a line waiting for his autograph. It was kind of humorous, all of the car guys I know had never mentioned his books but when they were reissued everyone came out of the closet and talked and talked about his influence on them as kids. My eighth grade book report was on Hot Rod, the folder I handed it in on had a model of a '32 Ford Rod glued to the cover. The teacher didn't apprecitat my effort.
    Your dad was a pleasure to meet. Thanks for the site

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Your dad made the world a better and safer place both as a marine and as a writer.

13. Way cool. Geoff Carter, former editor of SRM, turned me on to the book "Hot Rod". It took forever to track down a copy, but it was a great read.

Looking forward to snagging my own copy when they are done being published.

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Great news Holly,... ( I'll bet your dad wanted to spell it "Holley") please keep us updated.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just curious, William Campbell Gault also wrote several hotrod and race car books ("Thunder Road", "Speedway Challenge", "Drag Strip") in the same era as your Dad. Do you know if they ever met or corresponded or spoke to each other?

16. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This is great news! I want my nephew to have his own set now that he is becoming reading age.

Good luck with the project. I'm sure you have the full support of the HAMB! :D

17. noboD

noboD

That's great Holly. Any more thought to issueing a boxed set?

18. Racewriter

Racewriter

I read my copies of "Hot Rod" and "Street Rod" to tatters when I was a kid.

19. vertible59

vertible59

I'm in for a set of the reprints!

20. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Holly,

Great job!

Your Dad is the reason this is my hobby.........and he always made study hall fun! Better than any book the school issued..........

21. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I found the book Hot Rod in my school libray around 1968 Being as I am from Iowa it was cool to relate. I also read street Rod & Crash Club. I have found these copies her and there But would like a boxed set.

22. missysdad1

missysdad1

Hi Holly!

This is great news! Please feel free to call on me for help with the website. I owe Hank a debt which can never be repaid...

23. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

This is awsome! My dad read the books when he was a kid and had the autographed special edition that came out years ago. Then my half sister ran off with it so I had to find my set, but I'd buy a box set!

24. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Definitely looking forward to this. Cool to have you here on the site.

I am KICKING myself for selling off my autographed boxed set.

ARRRGH.

25. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I was thinking just this weekend I should read Hot Rod again. I have the paperback you have on the website, bought it at the corner drug store when I was 15 in 1970. I'm waiting patiently for the box set....... ;)

26. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Holly I guess I'm a little slow I didn't read your dads book until about twenty years ago Rod Powell let me read his copy, after I read it I had to find a copy, Rod found me an old school library one for 10 bucks and I've read it about every year or two since , I keep it in a display case with all my woodie stuff, hope to see a new release.....................:D

27. The_Monster

The_Monster

Hello Holly,

This is great news about the reprint, and it looks like you have a good start on the website.

Ive read hotrod and road rocket so many times, the covers are getting pretty beat up.

Im actually almost finished reading road rockets again and I came on the hamb to see if I could find anyone with the other books you mentioned. Ive never read crash club or streetrod.

I was wondering, what are the books titled "A teen-agers first car", "Living with your first motorcycle" and "To my son, the teen-aged driver" all about? Are they novels like the others or something completely different?

Thanks alot, keep up the progress!