Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remove pinstriping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63401nailhead, May 25, 2009.

1. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

Any tips on removing pinstriping? My newest ride has some pinstriping that I'd like to remove. The pinstriping is about 10 years old, and it's over a 20+ year old paint job. It's black and gold, and using Acetone I was able to rub off the black. It didn't affect the trucks paint job at all, but the gold is being stubborn and the acetone won't take any of it off. I'm afraid to rub too hard and fuck up the paint job.

Any ideas?

2. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

ez off oven cleaner

3. Yeah...Ez off, still be careful though. Maybe a scotch brite too... buff lightly after, should be all good.

4. I'd try oven cleaner and a q tip.
    Try in an out of the way spot first.
    If the gold has metallic in it, it has more body than regular paint and is more difficult to remove.

5. Psychoarts

Psychoarts

I just used EZ Off to remove 5 year old stripes from my truck. I applied the EZ Off let it sit 4 mins and wiped off. Then rinsed with plenty of water. It took 5 applications but, it all came off.

6. Oh man, ditto that but go REALLY easy on anything abrasive. I used the EZ off/scotchbrite to remove pinstriping and was too aggressive and left a bunch of scratches. Be careful, go slow.

Pete
    Richmond, VA

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  7. Has anyone ever tried Brakeclean? I used it on pinstripes and a name that were about a year old...and it took it right off with no problems...haven't tried it on anything since.

Murph

8. I wouldn't use anything abrasive, might tru Goof Off Remover with a Qtip.

9. I've used oven cleaner for over 20 years.
    Never lost a paint job yet.

10. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Eastwood makes a tool that you can put on a drill or die grinder...It's like an eraser. Doesn't mess up the paint...

11. FATT STRIPES

FATT STRIPES

thats mostly for vinyl stripes and decals, may work for painted stripes but the ez off works well and is cheaper

12. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

If your paint is NOT single stage metallic, you can wet sand it w/ 1200,2000 paper and buff it . I've done this several times when my customers had bought a car w/ existing pinstripes and wanted me to change them . If your paint IS metallic .you'll put sanding scratches in the metallic , and then you're screwed !! good luck .

13. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

I have used denatured alcohol with pretty good results.

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I have removed 3 yr old stripes on my truck with paper towel and laquer thinner. I have crappy single stage paint and it didn't effect it. I removed and changed some lines today on a Scion.....it didn't effect the clear on that either, and it has paint that is only a few months old.