Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 1935 Ford Grille Shell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, May 22, 2009.

1. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

carson topped roadster doesnt sound bad at all. im sure if it came to it you could put it back stock :)

2. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Best sounding too...

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark! You don't EVER have to appologize for posting pictures of your 35's! They are beautiful and I'm envious!

Jeffrey... yeah! Just stoked to have it! It will be awhile. My Pops and I share it and it's been a father and son project forever. My Dad doesn't know how to do some of the work that it needs so I'm going to do the work and make it a nice car for him to drive. The car will ALWAYS be in the family! It will NEVER be sold! So YES, there is plenty of time! :cool: I just get so damn anxious to get going on it though!

I've been thinking about maybe an 1-1/2" out of the roof as well. Just to bring it down a tad. I like the soft top insert and will leave that as well, but may actually recess it so it sits flush. Again, long ways off...

4. titus

titus

Im a big fan of 35's also, my dad has a 3 window 35 and keeps saying hes gonna put a 36 front end on it, i told him no, hes keeping the body at my place so if he goes any further on the idea im not gonna give it back to hime:)

JEFF

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man I wish my father was here to enjoy these things with me. He would have be soo fucking happy. I love that you and your father have something to work on together and what a perfect car to do it to. That's where I am heading with the '31 Chevy. Probably keep it in the family and my Father In Law will be able to enjoy the shit out of it. Maybe take the grandkids for a ride for ice cream. Very cool project.

6. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

jeff glad to hear your not letting him do that, 35s are so much nicer :) i am little biased though. you know im glad 35s arent as popular because that would force prices up

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have always liked the 35 grill.
    Its 'old timey'
    kinda similar to earlier years
    I never understood why the magazines hyped the 36s

reagen likes this.
  8. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

scooter you car looks good, im glad your getting to share your experiences with your dad and your spending time together on it. im sure you will have a lot of good times working no it and driving it together.

9. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

yep I agree - I always think you can see how the '34 developed into the '35 as there are a few bits on the front end that really arent that different yet when you go to '36 its completely different - there is a definite break in the design and the '36 moves more towards the '37 and leaves the early years behind. Ford was very clever though as they left the body virutally unchanged and it was all the bolt on panels which were changed in '36 - '36s were kind of like a facelift model.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel very fortunate! My Dad is responsible for me being interested in cars like I am... he created a monster though! Once you go "traditional" you just don't go back. He's not as much into the traditional look as I am, so we have to come to terms. going to be tough! HAHA! :D I'm thankful though. We don't get to work on it much together because he's 4-1/2 hours away as well as the car. Over the next year or two, it will be with me quite a bit though.

I'm not sure I'll be able to let it out of my grasp either! HAHA! :rolleyes::D Love these cars man!!!

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You guys should get out of Cali and move to Austin like everyone else. Win/Win.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riiiiiight. Suuuure! Jump on the band wagon! :rolleyes:;):D

13. mako4r

mako4r

14. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

'35 is the last of the "old face" and '36 is the first of the "new face". I have a '35 3-W, but I really like both years. I'd like to have a '36 roadster to keep it company. I think the '35 is a flowing, more classic look; the '36 sportier and more aggressive. Glad to see others appreciate the '35. I've had people tell me "too bad it's not a '36". I tell them there was a '36 sitting right next to it for sale when I bought mine, so I guess you know which I prefer.

15. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

That is a sweet 35 i traded my sedan about 2 weeks back that makes me think twice.

16. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here is mine..MII IFS gets it low. This one is powered by a Red Ram Dodge Hemi..
    I think the 35 grill is the best, 36 is cut off at the top..
    Duane.
    ps..first pic is photo shop..

Attached Files:

reagen likes this.
  17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Grille wise I think the Australian outfit is the only source for Ford Passenger car grilles 33-35. Everyone seems to like them and rave about the fit and finish.

Just like the 28-29 and 30-31 A, 33 and 34, the 35 and 36 each have their adherents and admirers and the numbers of each seem to fluctuate up and down in a steady 10-15 year cycle over the years.

18. Yes that's right, although Drake and someone else are also laying claims to 33's and 4's these days.

19. My very first car, ever, was a '35 5 win. coupe with a rumble seat. Roller only, wish I knew where it was.

20. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Progress is slow on my 35, but the chassis just needs the exhaust to be welded up , then the body can be lifted back on. Been spending some time fabricating trunk drip rail due to the conversion from rumble to trunk lid. With summer here the weekends are for crusing in my 32.

Attached Files:

21. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

I have to agree as well, The '35 grille is much more desirable in my opinion than the '36. even though mine does have some '36 features that sometimes confuse people what year it is unless they take a close look at the grille. As my 3W has '36 headlights, wheels with flipper caps, inner chrome garnish moldings and steering wheel inside the coupe. You've all seen it many times so here it is again just to show the love on this thread!

I don't have to worry about my grille hitting things since my car is stock height and keeping it that way, no chop either:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If any of you don't have this book, this is a great reference for the many differences between both these models and years!

[​IMG]

Thanks for posting this thread and i hope to see your ride going sometime soon in the near future. 35's rock and stoked to join yer social group, thanks for the invite:)
    cheers,
    cab

hfh and reagen like this.
  22. Retrorod

Retrorod

It's really nice to see some conversation about the '35. It's always been sort of the "odd man out" in rodding. When I first got mine (piled up in pieces on my trailer) in 1998 I was told by quite a few "experts" that I needed to use a '36 front end as I would never find enough parts to build a complete '35. I prevailed.

I have quite a few hours on my grille and it still is not perfect. The stock ride height keeps me from hitting anything except those concrete parking stops.

I had to search for a year to find a nice right side taillight stand though....three people tried to sell me '34 or other parts as "it'll fit a '35".....don't you believe it.

IMG_0029.jpg

23. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

steve your car is so right, its really nice. is the engine still stock in it? or have you relented and hopped it up yet :)

24. In the late 70's I was looking for a 35 grill for my 4-door. Never found a single grill in about 4 years of looking. Finally found one at Pettit Jean swap meet. Cost me $35 bucks. I see em all the time now but for much more.

25. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Weemark,
    The engine was hopped up with a '51 Merc flatty and a '39 tranny (w/zepher gears) when i bought it awhile back. I was going to dress up the motor a bit awhile back, but just ended up keepin the four-barrel on there since the hood is usually closed on this ride and it runs great just the way it sits:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just replaced the water pumps with speedways, got the radiator re-cored, new Coker whites and the '35 was ready to rock and roll!

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  26. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

I love the '35, always have! Some people are crazy enough to convert '35s to '36s. Never could understand it.

[​IMG]

hfh likes this.
  27. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I have had my 35 5-window since 1976 when they were not popular and bought an extra shell for it for $20 and still have it, no it is not for sale. We love our 35 and have put over 160,000 miles on it so far.

28. Searcher

Searcher

Heres some pictures I took that show the progression of the front ends in a year by year line up.

[​IMG]

I did this in gray to try and eliminate some of the glare.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. i love them both. i currently own a `36 (which is really a `35 body with `36 front sheetmetal and rear fenders) and owned a `35 tudor in the past

one of the dumbest things i have ever done was buy a nice `35 grill shell at a swap meet for $12 and then sell it later for $175..that was about 20 years ago.

30. Chad s

Chad s

You have an awesome looking garage! I love the wood floor!