Register now to get rid of these ads!

cooler battery box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54velox, May 23, 2009.

1. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

I know this has probably been covered a hundred times,and yes I've used the search buttion first, but what I'm looking for are pics of coolers, like coca cola ones, coverted into battery boxes.

I'm particulary interested in how you mounted it in the boot and how you routed the cables out of it.

Pics would be good.

I'm looking at using one in the boot of my roadster.

2. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

3. chevyshack

chevyshack

I havent done this yet, but i planned on drilling holes in the bottom with rubber gromets to run the wires thru. You can bolt it down by running long bolts thru the floor and using them as your battery mounts at the same time. Just an idea.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I wouldn't forget a vapor tube either. You'd need a battery tray and holddown frame or bar since the smallest cooler of that type is way bigger than the standard 24 battery.

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

heres mine ! will try to get more pics up !

Attached Files:

6. aceuh

aceuh

That's a great idea and it looks cool as well!

What's funny is that I have a cooler that looks like a car battery! I've heard more then one "WTF" while pulling out a cold one.

7. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

Here's my setup in the trunk of my '57 Ford.
    I used one of the "battery relocation kits" that has a battery tray, long heavy duty cables and new terminals.

It's on the passenger side of the trunk, beside the spare tire.
    [​IMG]

I used all-thread that was long enough to go through the trunk floor, the cooler, the tray, the hold-down bar that I made, and the lid of the cooler. I attached a nut under the floor pan to hold it in place, another nut to hold the cooler and tray down to the floor, another nut to hold the hold-down bar across the top of the battery and a wing nut to keep the cooler lid closed. It's probably overkill, but it ain't going anywhere!
    [​IMG]

This picture shows the hold-down bar that I made. Also notice the battery kill switch on the side of the cooler. It's on the forward side of the cooler, so you can't see it when the trunk is open. It's a nice extra way to kill the battery when we're parked at a hotel and when I'm working on the car.
    [​IMG]

This shows the battery tray from the kit. To protect the cables that run out of the cooler from getting chaffed and cut, I routed heater hose through the wall of the cooler. I also used heater hose to make a vent tube. It runs through the floor of the cooler and the trunk floor pan. I routed the negative battery cable through the floor and grounded it to the frame.
    [​IMG]

This is the heater hose routed through the side of the cooler to protect the cable.
    [​IMG]

There are probably easier ways to do this, but I'm happy with the installation. It doesn't budge at all and the battery still looks brand new after almost 18 months of driving.

8. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

Fantastic.

I like it a lot better than the black plastic battery boxes.

Never thought of hiding a kill switch in it. Thanks for the idea.

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

10. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

my cousin on here "HotRodTodd" has a very cool one, hit him up for a pic, I don't have any

11. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Here's one the guys at Street Toys in Juarez, Mexico made.

Attached Files:

12. An old crate with dynamite stenciled on it would look pretty cool or and metal ammo box.

13. Not a cooler, but here my .50 cal WWII ammo box that i used as a battery box in my Deuce.

Rat

Attached Files:

14. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

The ammo box is way cool !!!

15. Wow, nice work! Well thought out and practical. Super idea. E