Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB' ers at the Hoosier Hundred

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rooman, May 23, 2009.

1. rooman

rooman

As requested here are some pix from Friday night at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. I got there in time to see the last of the cars hot lapping and also score a burger off the grille (thanks Josh). Corngrower 32 and Richcraft Mike were up from Cincinatti with Mike's older 32 roadster (the bastard has two of them) and Racer 5c was there with his A-V8. .Besides the flat black non rat rods there was also a nice A tudor with us in turn three.Dennis Nalon, grandson of the late great Duke, stopped by as did ESPN's Ralph Shaheen. Denise and Megan arrived late after hanging out with the high roller Indy car set.
    A good time was had by all and the corner workers were nice enough to ignore us when we drifted over by the guard rail to get a better view. Of course the fact that they knew Roy who had actually competed at this race in the past helped. Anyway here are some photos of our evening.

Roo

Racer 5c's A-V8--the centerlock Halibrands drew a lot of attention from the oldtimers
    [​IMG]

When Roy wanted to visit his buddies in the pits he just fired up the roadster and drove over there.
    [​IMG]

Richcraft Mike's 32 highboy
    [​IMG]

Local A sedan
    [​IMG]

Corngrower 32 and Richcraft Mike
    [​IMG]

A couple of shots from qualifying shot from the back of Racer 5c's pickup.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom Capie backs 'er in during qualifying but got a little too sideways and just managed to avoid hitting the outside wall hard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rooman

rooman

More from the Fairgrounds.

While the cars were getting ready for the 100 miler a number of vintage racers cruised around behind the pace car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry that the night shots are a little dark and fuzzy but with my small flash synched at 1/60th these were the best that I could do. It it does give you an idea of how close we got to the action. The fact that the cars are going at least 100 mph is also a factor. Lap average for the mile is just under 120 mph.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot especially emphasizes the fact that we could have reached over the rail and touched the cars as they went by (that is if we were really stupid).
    [​IMG]
    Shane Hollingsworth led all 100 laps in the Irvin/Nolen entry. This is the car that was stolen in Oklahoma on the way to the season opener in Phoenix and later recovered --or at least 50% of it was recovered. The team even had to borrow a starter for this event
    [​IMG]

3. KIRK

KIRK

Love those open wheel cars. Great pics, thanks.

4. Racewriter

Racewriter

That Model A sedan kicks ass.

5. I can't think of any place I would have rather been ! :(

6. k9racer

k9racer

what I like no ugly wings. Get Roy to tell the history/story on the left rear of his roadster. It is quite intersting to hear.. Looks like you folks had a good time... Bobby...

7. I'll guarentee HAMBer Harley Gene was there, probably with one of the vintage sprinters.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Megan and I had a GREAT time hanging out with everyone last night. I didn't get to see too much of the racing, I was too busy jack-jawing, but I did hand Megan my camera and she got some good video footage I'll post later. It was wonderful seeing everyone again and meeting some new friends.

Rooman, thanks so much for the tours of all the race shops today and I guess we'll see you in a couple of hours at the midget races.:D

9. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

[​IMG]

That is one bad-ass A!!!

10. One of these days I am going to get out of this damn rut I'm in and make that show! Life owes me the other dirt mile shows too, and I intend to collect.

11. racer5c

racer5c

Sorry for the poor quality of these pictures, but the NEW Batteries my wife loaded for my digital camera were dead, took these with my phone, that's roo-man in the hat with the camera

Attached Files:

12. racer5c

racer5c

more

Attached Files:

13. racer5c

racer5c

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Roy, You do realize you're having more fun than the law allows don't you?:eek::D BTW, if your car ever turns up missing, I don't know anything (just don't check that hidden compartment in my shop:rolleyes:)

Frank

15. richcraft.spl

richcraft.spl

The 100 is the best dirt race of the year !!!! It was good seeing every one. Thanks for the seat roy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

A great time for sure, Nice to meet you Denise and Megan and all the other HAMBers. Great time. You know I'll be there next year, and we'll ask to borrow some fire for our dogs. Thanks Racer5c

17. Hey Rich, you bet I was there. Here are some photos I took in turn one. Saw the Rooman, Roy and Josh along the way. Even got a shot of Denise driving a sprint car......she forgot her medication....:D vrooooom
    HG :cool:

Attached Files:

18. The photo of Denise gives a whole new meaning to helmet hair. One jewel sitting an another Jewell ! ! !
    Look out Danica and Sarah.........zooooooom