Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have Tribute artwork/lettering on my truck door. The truck was built in 2007. Last week I was told by a someone " I used to see it parked in front of that business all the time back in the 60's. " I took it as a compliment.

2. matt Delio

matt Delio

went to a car show young guy says "that impala is my favorite of the old cars" as he's looking over my '63 galaxie imagine my surprise when i found out he was one of the judges!! later matt.

3. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Used to get that a ton with my 69 rambler too

4. That is my favorite! :p

5. I had a 327 sbc in my 57 Ford Custom. Heard a guy telling his buddy "must be a Lincoln or Edsel motor, they had a similar Y-block". I did have acorn nuts glued to the valve covers and unusual S-10 headers on it. Then later, I put in my 406 sbc and glued a T-bird 406 badge to an oval air cleaner and tall centerbolt valve covers. Most of them didn't have a clue what they were looking at. I've been told I have a bad attitude.

Attached Files:

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think we have a winner!!! thats one of the funniest things i've heard in a long time

7. Man, unless you don't care that much about selling it, you gotta look at that as "A fool and his money are soon parted" ... something like "well, I wouldn't try it, but if it will work for you, there it is" is probably the best response...

Then maybe you can score it back cheaper off craigslist a month later when they find out that yes, in fact, that's not possible....

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

kind of differnt yet the same.... me and my buddy were looking at a nice black big block Duster with the hood opened at a show. my buddys like 'what the heck did he put a mopar in there for?"

so I ask whats wrong with that?? we go back and forth for a few minutes debating this before we realize he thought he was still looking at the black chevelle parked next to it.

MORE BEER!

9. Redstar

Redstar

I was at a gas station fueling up while road testing the one and only 1898 Hay motor wagon. Its the only one and I just finished restoring it. So it probably had not seen the road in over 80 years. This Guy walks up all smart and said "haven't seen one of those in a long time" I said " yea like a hundred years" to that he said "so what year model T is it" I told him "Its a brand new prototype" [​IMG]

10. Redstar

Redstar

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

12. You do. :rolleyes:

13. KsFlatlander

KsFlatlander

Back when I had my 67 ford falcon, I had the hood up tweeking things while my buddy ran into the store, some guy pulls up in his lifted ford truck and says 'thats what ya get for driving a chevy nova, go get yourself a ford and ya won't need to work on it.' just Shrugged my shoulders and smiled.

14. Man that's the baddest BBC I've ever seen, but why did you move the pan oil sump to the front? Is that a speed deal? When told it wasn't a BBC, he said oh yeah, now I see, its an Olds, thats why the sump is up front. When I told him it was a Edsel, he said "what's that?" LOL,,, now we all know it's a lincoln, but what the f... I just wanted the guy to go away.

15. skwurl

skwurl

A guy was talking to me about restoring my Model A. He saif you dont seee these roadsters anymore. I said its a coupe, roadsters have a cloth top. He just walked away. My bad!

16. We can stop wondering. Now we know.

17. pacemaker

pacemaker

I love those chopped Mercs.

Attached Files:

18. farna

farna

You guys should own a Rambler or other AMC.
    "You know they assembled those from parts they bought from everyone else"
    "I had one of those, had a Ford 390 in it." (informed guy it was an AMC 390) "Look, I KNOW it was a Ford 390 -- it had a Motorcraft carburetor and distributor on it!"
    Same thing with the 56-66 AMC 327 "Chevy made 327s, that's a Chevy engine" (Chevy didn't make a 327 until what, 64? The old AMC/Rambler V-8 looks more like a Chevy 396 or Ford 353/390, and is that big and heavy!).
    And that's the ONLY "Ford" parts it had on it, by the way!! AMC bought a FEW parts from others -- transmissions and electrical parts, and steering boxes and columns on the later 60s+ cars. 80%+ was made by AMC.

The kicker was when I took my wagon to a local cruise-in sponsored by the local Chevy club. I had a guy come up to me and ask me how I got that Rambler front end to fit that 64 Chevelle so good! It DOES somewhat resemble a 64 Chevelle, but my Rambler is a 63. That's the only time I got that one, though I often get "didn't Dodge/Ford/GM make those?" from mostly younger guys. Now who's going to be the first to look at my avatar and say "I can see that...."?? ;>

I have to forgive them when they ask how I got that 4.6L mod-motor under the hood, or how it fits (but only if the hood is down). I had a "4.6L FUEL INJECTION" sticker made for the tailgate. One look and you see it's an in-line six. When one guy asked that I popped the hood. "Ugh... that's not a V-8..." But that's what I get for building a six with the same displacement and then making a sticker! Should have put "280 FUEL INJECTION" on it I guess. It's a Jeep 4.0L w/older AMC 258 crank and rods, bored 0.030" over. Comes out to 279.x", 4.57L (or close, not doing the math right now!).

19. 1gearhead

1gearhead

A few years ago at the Goodguys meet in Pleasanton, CA I had my 28 roadster highboy there and Boyd Coddington and his posse walk by and Boyd's comment was "Not bad for an amature." It was a really bitchin' car and it really pissed me off!

20. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Him -"You know i'm really good with those Buick engines. I used to only work on them. Which engine does this one got?"

Me- "401 Nailhead"

Him- "What's a nailhead?"

21. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Went with my old man and future father in law back in the late 80's to look at a 63 Plymouth savoy Boyd had for sale...supposed to be a real max wedge 426 car..way overdone and overpriced..He got really pissed when I asked him what engine the car origianlly had...Lots of things "wrong" under the hood...He made a smart a++ comment about how I was too young to know anything about those cars and what did I know....I then proceeded to point out a couple obvious things..He was pissed! I think he thought it WAS real..hopefully he paid too much for it and got suckered. He wanted more for that car than a REAL car at the time..as we were walking out I noticed a 64 Dodge hdtp. being stripped and asked what that was..he said it was nothing just a regular 64 Dodge he was building a pro street car out of or something to that effect...I looked at the car and the guy didnt even know he had a REAL 64 max wedge car sitting outside 20 feet from his overpriced fake car...Man I loved pointing out most everything wrong with his 63...He wanted me to tell him everything but I wouldnt..I was pretty proud of my 15'ish year old self......I never underestimate the young guys/gals and assume they dont know anything..I set that "expert" in his place and sad to say but I'll never forget it..didnt hurt I was over at Moshers from time to time watching the 63 Melrose Missle being restored as well as my old mans 64 lightweight Savoy...fun times.....

22. solid

solid

I love the comments. When you go to a big show alot of people are there just for the pretty colors, and dont know alot about the cars, which is fine any interest is a good thing in my book. Me and my buddys are pretty good about not being a-holes to em, but it makes for a good time back at the hotel parking lot over some beers. There is alot of things i say to my buddys that night, that they had to hear at the car show from the "experts" earlier. I drive em friggin crazy. Its best just to not let it get to ya, and have a good time w/ it.

23. George

George

I'm pulling out of a gas station in my XC Ute when 2 guys park in front of me & come bailing out, leaving both doors open. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, they say "How did you get that Falcon sheetmetal on a Ranchero?" Ummm, look where I'm sitting guys....:rolleyes:

24. studenut48

studenut48
    from Hanson, Ky

Well once on my everyday ride, I took my car in to have the transmission filter changed because it was shifting funny. The "mechanic" said tht wasn't the reason for the odd shifting, it was the motor mounts were loose. From Factory? Same guy that before also told me that i needed new brakes because the other person who did them, didn't do them right, he asked who did them, I told him, you! He said Oh, well I will give you a discount for fixing the problem then, lol, no thank you!

25. Jasper,

You're just the kinda guy we really hate to have in this hobby. The 'douchewad'

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not trying to be a dick, but I think Jasper and Executioner know each other, may be an 'in' joke?

27. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

"those are really big tires" is all a retired engineer could come up with

28. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

I have had a few people do this..

I'm drving a 29 roadster ..and some guy walks up and says somethin along the likes of....

"hey my Dad had one just like that, I think it was a 1950 chevy"

Always leaves me speachless... I just respond "yeah just like it!"

29. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

A couple years ago my wife bought me a set of repopped Vette valve covers from Eckler's. They the unpolished ones with the casting lines about a third of the way up from one end. I was standing about ten feet from the engine behind these two guys who walk up. One of them was obviously a member of the NCRS as he proceeds to tell the other as he's pointing to the valve covers, 'That's a real Corvette motor. You can tell because the Corvette valve covers still have the casting lines on them. They didn't waste time cleaning them up before they put them on.' The other guy says back, 'so it's a real Corvette motor, not just the valve covers?' The first guy respond with this, 'Dude, I know what I'm talking about. It's got two carbs and those valve covers; it's the real deal.'

My SBC is a Goodwrench replacement 350 motor from 1988, (the year casting is in plain sight on the block) with an Edelbrock dual quad set-up that I got form our own JimA, (the Edelbrock name on the intake and the bright red plates on the front of each carb) and those Eckler valve covers. Yeah, it's a real 'Vette motor. I'll point out the expert next time I see him. I see him every now and then and just smile at him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.