Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for opinions and information on the 265 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953 Rat, May 21, 2009.

1. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

I would like to get some opinions and information on the 1955 265 Cheby small block that I have. It will be going into my 53 Bel Air and would like to know what you guys think about it. Ive heard that these engine had oil problems? is that true?

2. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

their fine motors, i ran mine as a daily driver in my 55 for 6 or 7 years, they keep up with traffic, i believe the earl filters were an option back then.......mine didnt have one, i just changed the earl more often, i think i ran a heavier earl.....currently its on a stand waiting for me to get started on my 53 ranchwagon.

3. Jay71

Jay71

Got the orig. 55 265 in my wagon. Runs great and never let me down in 15 years. Love the little 265 block.

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

Talk about reliable ....those early small blocks are the the best!!

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No oiling problems to speak of, but the '55 blocks had no provision for an oil filter, and used a bypass filter much like the 216-235 engines. The early engines had oil burning problems due to the chrome rings not seating to the crosshatch that was honed into the bores, hence the famous "dump Bon Ami down the carburetor" fix. Nothing to be concerned with today. An interesting note is that the reason for those funky looking exhaust manifolds that were used in '55-'56 is that Chevrolet's original intention was to have the new V8 available for the '53 models, but the Korean conflict put them behind schedule. The front dump LH manifold was designed to clear the '53 steering gear. Also, if you're mixing and matching parts to put it together, be aware that the oil pump driveshaft was a different length in the '55-'57 engines than in the '58 and newer blocks. The later shaft is shorter, and won't drive anything if used in the early engines.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I ran a 265 in my Nomad for years, drove 70 mph all day long, replaced it nine years ago with a 350, and wish I had kept the 265.

7. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

I wont be mixing parts to put the engine together, so I wont have to worry about that, thanks for the tip though. I'm going to sound ignorant and show my youth but what is the "dump Bon Ami down the carburetor" fix? I havent heard of this. Im glad to hear all of you had good experiences with this engine i'm looking forward to getting it in the Bel Air. I like the look of the oil bath filter and oil filter sitting on the intake.

8. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

If you had a smoker the Bon Ami was used to seat the rings. The 265 is front mount only...

9. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

yeah its front mount only, kinda neat and kinda tough to get it in the car. But some good advise was given to me by the guys on here when i posted the question of how to put it in. For a little update the build is going good, just installed 3" lowering kit and will be driving it very soon.

10. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I will be running a '56 265 in my '50 Starlight. It's a good choice for your '53. Good luck.

11. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

Thanks man. I put this post up in response to a post earlier saying the small block chevy wasnt traditional. Now I'm not trying say the car is traditional by any means and i dont really CARE what people say about it but i am interested in WHAT they say about it. Know what I mean? :rolleyes:

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

'55-'56 distributors had the "flat" on the backside of the housing, as well as an oiling notch machined in the rear camshaft journal. However, I've seen guys run later distributors (as well as Mallory dual points) in 265s with no ill effects.