Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is it, how much should I offer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chappys4life, May 20, 2009.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

If she didn't offer it for free I wouldn't even bother with it. When you can get something 100x better for 5 or 600 dollars that doesn't have a butchered front end installed, no way is that worth fooling with.

Sounds like it has sentimental/percieved value to her that's greater than the actual(scrap) value. I wouldnl't wanna offend by offering the true value and mess up your friendship with your pal.

That thing is worth scrap weight minus $100 min to go to the hassle of hauling it away.

I wouldn't even look twice at it.

2. screwball

screwball

That would bring a grand up here in the rust belt if the cab was complete and they would be turning way buyers for days.

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would go and get a gun to put that poor down ! Hell NO the damn ammo costs too much !
    That isn't worth hauling to the scrap yard ! Gas costs too much !

4. Darby

Darby

It's a '40-'46 chevy. If they paid $6k for what's there, they overpaid. The cab still needs sheet metal replacement. And yeah, that bed's bad.

If: It had the whole grill shell (the grills are available in re-pop to replace that fragment on the front, but not the sheet metal around it), AND the back of the cab around the beltline was absolutely solid I'd pay $800--for a solid, chopped cab with good doors and fenders and hood etc. Pitch the rest of it and find a decent original frame and start over. I live in rust city, so I'd pay more than the $200-500 that some have thrown out.

5. haha! well put man!!

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Cab looks like a Willy's . Bed is Home made Frame ? Offer her a hundred bucks If it has doors.You cant go wrong.If it is all that is pictured Run.

7. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Thanks guys for the input. I will offer her a $100 and see what she says. I am debating if it is to much work though. I wish the front of the frame had not been butchered so I could run a solid axle and use a inline 6 with a t5 combo would have been a cheap gas commuter easy.

How hard would it be to bring it back to a straight axle? Looking for a cool first project and figured a truck would be easiest since there is not a whole lot to it.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You're all being too rough on it... all you would need is another '41 Chevy with slightly better cab, frame, fenders, and box to supply parts and then that one would be easy to turn into a nice truck.
    I'd believe the $6,000...clueless guy takes pile of junk, checkbook, and a picture torn out of Streetrodder to a builder, life savings disappear immediately, slightly enhanced pile of junk now a 1% finished streetrod gets hauled home to rot...