Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the real reason

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djust, May 20, 2009.

1. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Why did model A's have a locking door handle on the passenger side only?
    I have an idea but both my neighbors disagree with me on my reason.

I just bought new hardware for my 29 sedan and I bought both locking door handles but it didn't come that way from Henry.

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Safety was the main reason. Open the car on the "curb side" to stay out of traffic as well as some etiquette of passengers 1st tossed in from coach days.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think it was a curb side entry and exit deal back than..thinking it was the safest way in and out of a vehicle on the street..
    some T's didnt even have a street side door.

lock the street side door from the inside exit the passenger side and lock it with the key.
    Ford was a minimalist?..if you didnt need it..you didnt get it

Highlander has faster fingers than me..his Key board can kick my Keyboards ass!

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

The way I heard it was in the day they had narrow roads and most parking was on the street so you usually exited the passenger side after parking on the right hand side of the road.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Man I still type way slow.

6. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I thought maybe it was a chivalry ( or however it's spelled) thing being in 1929 the man always opening and closing the doors for his lady first so she could get in and unlock his door for him on the inside and he could lock the passenger door after he opened it for her to get out.
    That was a lame idea but the best I could come up with.
    My neighbors thought the same thing as you guys.
    Guess I was wrong again damn it.
    I could make up whatever I wanted because they are not car guys and don't come to this sacred place to learn.

7. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Seems like a bitch to have to crawl over to the other side of the car to get in or out.

When did they start to put locking handles on both sides..

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think it became an option in the 30 and 31's..dont quote me on this..
    than more common when the 32's came out....Right guys?

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

1941,.... If memory serves me correctly,..... early model T open cars didn't have a drivers door,... just a line of a door

[​IMG]

You can see the lock directly below the door handle. 1941 Ford Coupe
    [​IMG]

10. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

they had remote central locking but the solenoids never lasted and always got chucked out.
    nah, it was still like that with alot of cars, for example my FC holden (1959) in the lower spec "standard" and comercal models only had a lock on the passenger side as it was the safe side to get in and out, higher spec "specail" models had the luxury of a drivers door lock aswell.
    has anyone ever spotted someone climbing through to the drivers side in old films with cars parked in narrow streets? i havent but most cars had small transmission tunnels and bench seats.

11. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

32's only have a lock on passenger side also, right below the handle, I think 41 was first year

12. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

I agree safety reasons. Does anyone also know why the Man is supposed to walk on the left of the woman when walking down the street? He is always supposed to be on the Curbside of the street? I hear it is a Tradition but Do you know why? Same Reason Safety. I have been told by many Old Timers it is Safety . Man is supposed to Protect the woman from Runaway Horses, Crazy Drivers and Splashed by Puddles... What do you think? Make Sense?

13. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Makes sense to me!!
    I have looked at a few touring T's, and they have only 3 doors the drivers door just looks like a door but doesn't open and if it did open you couldn't get in anyway because there wasn't enough room around the steering column and wheel to fit through it.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats what I was always told.
    My 38 had the same locks on it, passenger side only.
    Doc.

15. My '47 Chevy PU has a lock on the passenger side only.

16. havi

havi

Even my '48 F1 has a passenger side only lock. IIRC, the 5 star package for the F1's of 51/52 had 2 locks, though.

17. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Would have never guessed that all the way into the late forties only one locking handle.
    Amazing what can be learned here.
    A wealth of information.
    Guess thats why I'm hooked.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Oh wow 40's eh?
    so it wasnt even an option in the 30's?

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno but I thought 1959 wasn't in the 40s?

20. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

My dads 55 2nd series has only one locking handle on the drivers side.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

my 53 has a key lock on the drivers side..but than again these things can be changed over the years ...soooo?

22. My old 35 4-door only had a lock on the front pass. side. Go figure.

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Packards were pass side only until well into the 30s. Limos had seperate keys for the front and back doors for personal/privacy reasons..."Hey Jeeves, quit drinkin my stash!"

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Funny, this was a side topic one of my 5/6 grade classes had and we had an interesting discussion from it. Anyway, OT as it may be, this is what we learned. Before there was indoor plumbing chamber pots were used. In cities, to disposed of the waste, the contents would be "thrown" out of the window. As chivalry would have it, the woman would walk closest to the building to avoid being "dumped" on.

As time progressed (as well as plumbing) the chivalrist man continued to walk on the left (or closest to the street) so that if a vehicle were to enter the curb, he'd be struck first, keeping the woman safe.

So you see fellas, being "dumped on" isn't a new thing. It's been happening for years! :D

25. Weasel

Weasel

Beat me to it. For those of you who have visited Medieval cities in Europe, you may also have noted that many of the buildings have the upper storeys overhanging, so that you can walk under the overhang - another defensive measure to try and ensure that the contents of the chamber pots actually landed in the open gutters of the cobbled streets. This was often a hit and miss affair, depending on the accuracy and mood of the chamber pot emptier!

26. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

My '56 only has a passenger side lock. Of course it dosen't have a motor either so......

27. My cousins 64 eh holden only has a passenger door lock

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have some advertising info for my '37 Chevy coupe, stating that among the safety items were a passenger side only locking door handle, passenger side gas fill (a lot of rural gas stations back then with curb-side pumps), oil dipstick and spark plug & distributor access on the passenger side, all for safety's sake.

29. LabRat

LabRat

I'm sure you guys are right .....
    But , my dad used to tell me .. Unlock the door for your date , and if she does'nt reach over and unlock your door for you ... Don't date her again cause love is a two way street :)

30. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Turned into a rather interesting thread.
    Thanks for all the input.