Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

I've seen it at the Summit truck show a few years back. A beauty!

Later, Bill

2. Rikster

Rikster

I came across this photo... I have no info on it.. but I sure like it.
    The Merc next to it belongs to custom car builder Paul Bragg.. so perhaps he has something to do with the chopped Econoline as well.

[​IMG]

3. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Anyone try and get the honkin' hinges inside? Any luck? My inner fenderwells don't appear to want to let me do it. Mostly concerned about the side and rear door.

Also, rear tail lights -- anyone usung anything other than stock? With a little more character / shape / chrome???

4. tattoo98

tattoo98

1950 pontaic tail lights are the same dimentions as the stock. I ordered mine today.

Attached Files:

5. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

I've got em in stock, with or without blue dots, if you need em.

6. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

How can you identify the motor size 144/170/240? Starting to build my 64 -attacked the brakes last week. Father/Son project.

7. rusty28a

rusty28a

Heres a picture of one I had to flip. Sold it to a nice guy in Arkansas.

Attached Files:

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

The best way is to run the engine numbers. A 64 would have only come stock with a 144 or 170, but someone could've swapped in a 200. Anything else would require a lot of work and you'd be able to tell. 144/170s had the intake cast as part of the head, whereas the 240 had a removeable intake, a cable throttle, and I think the intake was on the driver's side instead of the passenger's like the 144/170.

9. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

I Just slapped this one on the classifieds.
    [​IMG]

10. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

here's one our shop truck...
    [​IMG]

one more playing around with different wheels

[​IMG]

11. Denver

Denver

I just found an econoline 8 door today. :) I play Euchre every second Tuesday with the owner so I am going to try to get a deal on it. It hasn't been touched in decades and is filled with junk and window panes. It's a shame. So I am going to bump this thread in hope that there are more pictures to inspire me.

Thanks.

12. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Got mine out for a cruise night---don't use it much--it has had many cycles in the back in the 39 years I have been driving it---Dad gave it to me when I was 15--at that time someone had already put a 260 auto in it--He bought it for $250 in Mesa AZ then we put all of our belongings in it-strapped my 350 yamaha to the rear bumper and headed back to Texas--Man what a long strange trip it has been in this truck

Attached Files:

13. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

How much for the 50 Pontiac tails?

14. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Hey guys, I keep looking at these photos and I REALLY want to get my '61 Econoline P/U rolling. The problem I have is no engine and no tranny...

The mounts are set up for the small block 302 or 289, but I'm not adept enough to do that stuff myself. What should I expect to pay to have someone do the work for me? I was quoted $3500 this morning if I got all of the parts together. That seemed kinda steep.... by the way, the motor mount and the axle are both from '66 if that helps at all.

Also, what kind of trans should I look for if I want to run the 302? I'd like to go with a manual transmission...

Any help you can give me would be super appreciated. Thanks again.

Spike

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

If it's already set up, you should just be able to drop a motor in. Call up a friend with a hoist and have at it.

I insisted on keeping a manual trans in my van... and I discovered why everyone goes with a c4. LOT easier... but automatics are for old ladies.

Anyway, I'm not sure what else will work, but a 3 speed from a 65-67 Econoline WITH A 240 will bolt right up to a SBF. The smaller 6 (144/170/200) trans have a different bolt patter and probably won't stand up to a SBF anyway. Stick with the 240 trans and all your linkages will work. The trouble is getting the clutch to work.

You can modify the z-bar, make new mounts, etc and that should work provided you can clear your headers/exhaust. Which reminds me, you'll need to widen and lengthen your 61 dog box to get a v8 in there, or get a 65-67 dogbox or Chevy/Dodge dogbox. You'll also need to work out a new throttle linkage. A 65-67 Econoline 240 linkage will bolt right in. I just added a Lokar cable to that linkage. Anyway, back to the clutch... I used a Mustang cable clutch, made some brackets and linkages. You could also go with a hydraulic clutch, which might be easier for you, but you'll still need to make some brackets and clear the exhaust.

Oh yeah, and you'll need a new driveshaft or a 65-67 240 shaft. Doing this conversion in a 61-64 is a big pain in the nuts.

I have no idea about cost, but you're talking about a lot of work.

16. tiki_spike

tiki_spike

Wow, thanks for the info, Hellfish. That sheds some light on the situation, for sure... I'm super anxious to get this truck rolling.

17. Choptop

Choptop

ok, so its a little bit of a cross post, but this needs to be seen by the Van Fans. :D

the new Billetproof t-shirt. artwork by Jeff Allison:

[​IMG]

18. mofoco1

mofoco1
    from clovis, ca

Bump for a great thread, keep it goin'. I sold my 66 HD window van in 9/07 and have been in search of another to date. seems the great finds are in other states. cal being what it is my $500 buy in to the Eco club was smalll to what people think they are worth in decent condition. I will get another though, been busy with the son newest acquisition a 65 mustang thats being really heavily modified. Started a spark in me 2 weeks ago, so I am going to sell my diesel an start restoring again. Hey any leads in the california central valley for a 65-67 eco short window van or an early cheby bug eye van woulb be appreciated. .....Mo in Clovis, CA [email protected]

19. mopar6040

mopar6040
    from Las Vegass

I'm working on one now. Just tore down the engine for a rebuild. Vans rule.

20. mothradeath

mothradeath

21. ford_

ford_

22. econolow

econolow
    from Ladner BC

Hey ford how does she handle like that? Let's see some pics up under there.

23. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

hey guys quick question. When I turn on my right blinker the left rear blinker goes too but very dim, Why? Any ideas?

Oh and does any one have a diagram of the fuse box, The previous owner took certain liberties with it and now nothing is where it should be?

24. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

25. First thing I would check is the grounds on the harness.

26. mothradeath

mothradeath

wow! anyone know anything or dealt with mas racing? says here they make drop spindles that give you up to a 7 inch drop for econos. pow! stuff is cheap too!
    check their site. heres just one drop kit.
    http://www.masracing.biz/catalog/i60.html

27. That is a drop axle and springs that can be set up to accept 28-48 Ford, 49-54 Chev, or 60-66 Econoline spindles.

28. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Oh man, you said drop spindles and my heart fluttered a little. that is a full drop axle and spring kit to replace what is on there. Probably not what we are looking for. They do sell just the axle though. I am sure it would take a little craftsmanship to get it installed, but it can be done.

Later,
    Chad

29. mothradeath

mothradeath

so these drop axles can or cant be used? somebody obviously makes drop tube axles for an econoline.........this guys got one.
    [​IMG]

30. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Absolutely they can be used. You just have to work out your own leaf spring mounts like that guy did. Do you have any more pics of that econoline?