Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "may banger may not" may's monthly meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sko_ford, May 1, 2009.

1. andyg

andyg

Duke,,,,what high school is that?....how cool is that....senior project...nice work! Lookin' good!

2. Really enjoyed the ride, thank you for sharing!

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't think that Fox guy is so smart. If he had used a Ford he would have only had to make 3 main caps. Would have been done lots sooner.

4. It's the doing it that counts! Think about it, how many people make their own, 3 or 5? Of course, how many want to.

5. noboD

noboD

Yea Rich but after you would be finished it would still be a Ford, ain't nothing like a DB.

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Actually I like making stuff like that. It's what i do for fun. I have the left over other side of rear main on my coffee table. And it is a Do It Yourself artical. ment to give other people ideas.

7. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Love the touring Duke. I'll post some pics of mine.

8. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

The pictures are taken in my shop. I go to Washougal High school though, my practice presentation is tomaro. Im bringing in the back panel i replaced as a visual, about 4 inches are rusted off the bottom and its all creased up, should be cool. hope i pass

9. I also enjoy making parts and or restoring them. I have a few photos of my latest project which is restoring the rocker arm stands for my Riley 4 port. They had some "mysterious" cracks at the base of the outer supports. The holes or sockets in the inner support were worn oversize. One was .060 or .030 on a side on about 45 degrees from vertical, call the holes egg shaped I suppose. Also had the increase the outer hole size to correct misalignment caused by warping of the welding process to repair to the cracks. Now will have to turn new shafts to fit Not sure just how accurately these castings were machined originally but I think there has been a lot of "shadetree" repairs. It appears from tool marks that someone tried to clean up the holes with a drill bit. very deep gouges and grooves in one. Previous owner was not told that there was no oil to the rocker arms and that they had to be oiled occasionally through the holes in the top of the valve covers. This all but destroyed the rocker arms but the cracks were due to the movement of the rocker shafts in the egg shaped holes
    I record these things so that others may see how it is done. Although not many will work on the rocker stands for a 4 port the methods used or described might help in other projects. Things such as how to make a reamer cut oversize or a few .0001's undersize. Just might pull some one out of the S..t.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  10. wayneat

wayneat

11. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

How does a A motor compare to a T motor in length? I am trying to figure out how much I need to lengthen a chassis for my project.

Also I have some T stuff and a few early dodge pieces for sale in the classifieds if anyone wants to take a look.

12. deuce295

deuce295

Curious if anyone has any experience with Antique Engine Rebuilding in Skokie, Illinois. I have an "A" and a "B" block I would like to have set up with inserts and pressure oiling. May just go with H&H but they are on the other side of the country and I thought it might be nice to use a more local business. Any input appreciated.

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

off the top of my head...from the nose of the pan to the back is 48"

14. Super88

Super88

duece295, my dad had the engine in his A rebuilt by Antique Engine Rebuilding several years ago. As the car hadn't been finished before he passed away, it wasn't driven much. I have the car now and the only thing I've noticed is the head gasket may be leaking. I believe this is probably because the head wasn't retorqued as it should have been. The engine had the insert bearings installed and from the little I've driven it, starts easy and runs well. I've been to the shop and it's well equipped and the owner was helpful and very knowledgeable. Good luck with yours.
    (btw, the spots under the car are from washing it)
    [​IMG]

15. shoot me a p.m. with a phone number. i have been doing buisness with Rich for years
    my dad and i have probably used his motors 100 times (plus or minus 10)
    tom

16. Elrod

Elrod

That's a great looking '30 Tudor Super88. Very Clean. You should consider joining a local Model A club and get it out on some open road tours!

17. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Is that a T or A measurement?

I am actually going to build the frame from scratch and I do not have the stock T frame or motor, I do have an A motor around. So I guess I would actually need the T measurement. Thanks

18. [​IMG]

What color are the wheels on this sedan? Antique white?

Does anyone have a color chart of the wheel colors they used from 1928 - 1934?

19. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

What color are the wheels on this sedan? Antique white?

Does anyone have a color chart of the wheel colors they used from 1928 - 1934?[/QUOTE]

I believe it should be the color Straw

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that is the measurement of a T pan, for some reason I was thinking you were looking for the specs on a T engine.

21. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I would need the front to rear length of a T motor to compare to my A motor.

22. Super88

Super88

I believe the color is called "Straw". My dad gave a powdercoater in this area a color sample and this is what he came up with. Due to the difference in cameras, monitors, etc. the photo may not show the true color. I can dig through some of the paperwork I got and I may have a listing of the wheel colors.

23. Wildfire

Wildfire

Anybody know the oil capacity of a banger off the top of their head???

24. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've bought stuff - valves etc - from Antique Engine Rebuilding and they're a great bunch to deal with.

Life keeps getting in the way of my banger-time lately, so no much to report. Just had to pull the T5 out of my tudor to replace the clutch bearing, so I'm going through a few other bits and pieces while it is laid-up. I've sent the friction plate to be relined as that was wearing a little thin in places, and I've also figured out why my emergency brake was crap: the shaft that runs through the back-plate from the e-brake rod has siezed into the bushings on the passenger side. Fun.

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

That's my kind of hot rod! :D

27. 88daryl88

88daryl88

Shouldn't it be a little thin all over? Otherwise, you've got some more problems.:p

28. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

Damn center main let go...

[​IMG]

Been leant another banger to tied me over - unless I get to buy it!

Question for the experts out there who have more experience of babbitt mains than me. It looks as if it is only the cap that has broke up, the block pouring looks OK, could I try another cap with plenty of babbitt in it (what would be the best way to bed another cap in?), or am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance.

29. Super88

Super88

Chopped50Ford I have a paint book that lists the wheel colors for A's 28-31 if you're still interested.

btw, thanks Elrod. The car still needs the top and an interior, but I'm hoping to get started soon. I use to go with my dad to his club meetings, but they weren't exactly the friendliest bunch. Too many self proclaimed experts for me. There were others that felt the same and broke off and started their own chapter and I may be looking them up.

For those in the WI/IL area, June 7th, Sharon WI is having their "Model A Day" again. This event has drawn numerous A's in the past and a "T" or two even sneak in. Music, food, and a lot of A's. Great way to spend a day.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  30. Elrod

Elrod

That's funny that you say that they aren't the friendliest. I've been talking with the Dallas Model A club president, and he said he made some calls trying to get some of the members who are in the roster to come to the meetings, and they basically said in a round about way that they felt that their cars weren't good enough for the Model A club. Some also said that when they did drive their car, people all got around them and said, "That's wrong, and that's wrong, and that's wrong." Basically ran them off.

I can kind of understand because they are wanting to continue educating new people of how the car is supposed to be in stock form. But there are also tons of books that educate as well. I think the answer for the "experts" is to answer the questions when asked, but otherwise just be accepting. This is the hobby they like though, so they just like talking about it and everyone else has already heard them blab, so you're fresh meat.

Well, my stock A looks like a barn find and I frankly don't care what they think. I don't have many people talking with me though, but I'm also 40 years younger than everyone there. However, going on the trips is fun, proving that your car can get out on the road like anyone else's can. They also have some helpful workshops where you can get help rebuilding anything you may need help with, so it does have some positive aspects.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
    barrnone50 likes this.