Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 54 Chevy CHOP USING STOCK REAR WINDOW - - PICTURE REQUEST

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BenDover, Mar 13, 2009.

1. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

I've seen all the 53/54 Chevy pictures this site and others have to offer... I haven't seen many showing the stock curved glass cut down. Anyone out there have any? I've got plenty with the Shoebox windows.

Before anyone chimes on something they know nothing about, NEW LAMINATE CURVED GLASS CAN BE CUT, TEMPERED STOCK GLASS CANNOT. Its been covered many many times on other threads so lets not bring it up again.

Thanks,

JP

2. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

3. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

4. jesse james

Attached Files:

5. Trigun15

Trigun15

Great looking car....I really like the color, the rack....everything. Amazing job.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, what is the story with the INDY car next to the sectioned '54? :rolleyes:

7. skyrodder

skyrodder

not mine, but i dig it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. murf-lostincity

murf-lostincity

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

i think 53 54 chevys look better with a 49-52 chevy coupe or sedan rear window section.not realy into the stock glass

10. 00 MACK

00 MACK

150 glass would be an option for ya too then Hemicoupe but yours is incredible as it is!

11. Building this 53 olds right now. We will buy a new lam back window and cut it down.

You can cut tempered glass but that is a real art in it self and should be done if that is the only option.

If you are looking for a cheap way out and have a good back window sink it.

Attached Files:

12. red3

red3

Our 53 has the stock back window and the front window is stock too was cut down with a sand blaster. Dont ask how I just know it was.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  13. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

love hard tops nice car

14. I was looking for an answer, myself, since I too have a '54 I'd like to lower the lid on. May just end up going the laminate route, or possibly sink it, since I have 2 good rear glasses. I'm a ways out from getting started on it though, still gottsta get this 5 spd. into my '39, haha.
    Never enuff time or money, ha.

15. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Hey Fellas thanks for the reply's... Since posting this thread, my friend and I started my chop. I'm planing on sandblasting the back and front glass myself - if it works out okay for me then I'll let you guys know. That way, if you don't have anyone to cut your glass you can call me and I'll do it. I don't think sinking in the rear glass is an option for me based on now being able to buy rear glass in laminate... I don't know if that was an option a few years back. Anyhow, I'll post some pictures this week or next to show my progress. For now I have plexi in back just as a template with cleco's to the window frame. This works out great and allows us to work on the car with a decent template until we cut and install the actual glass.

JP

Haggard53 likes this.