Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dragway 42's "Rock and Race" Event 2009 - July 17, 18, and 19

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dragway42, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

1976 for a cut off? Kind of kills it doesn't it? Might want to rethink that one.

2. Shift_Taste

Shift_Taste
    from Ohio

There was a crazy fucker there a couple years ago with the shittiest pickup I have ever seen. He had a 500 cad in it with half assed tack welded wrenches for motor mounts. They let him run the holy dog crap out of it down the track. If anyone has pictures of those motor mounts or that truck please share.

3. Yes:D

4. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Sounds like a good time, look forward to it

5. Dragway42

Dragway42

Actually it is "PRE" 76. (75 or earlier).

We've been 73 and earlier (for the race) for the first 3 years and it hasn't hurt the count of 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's machines.

After all, it's all about having an attitude that is geared to having a good time with old friends while making some new ones!

6. Shift_Taste

Shift_Taste
    from Ohio

That guy had more fun than anyone else there. I know someone has pictures.

7. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

dragway 42,

if I may request that you turn the pa system down a little bit ? ?

the track anouncer was drowning out the sound of the cars going down the track ! !

thanks in advance ! !

42 was the first dragstrip I ever attended as a little kid. Love how it has that old time look and feel. Very cool old historical landmark

8. luckydevil

luckydevil

Come on out this Saturday to The Motor Psychos MAYHEM show. Those of you who know me no that this was the Rock and Race warm up show last year. Lots of like minded people gathered in one place! This year we have the whole building and parking lot to ourselves! Cars, bikes, bands, barbeque, beer garden, burlesque. The coolest home made trophies you will ever see! If you search Motor Psychos I'm pretty sure you can find pics from last years show.. Hope to see you all there this Saturday!!

[​IMG]

9. Algon

Algon

Seems like there is water in the whiskey from these posts... I'm not sure where the idea its going the Blue Suede route came from but it has sure got around. Today is the first time I've seen this post and b.s. or not I've heard this at least ten times from non-hamb drag racers.

That design doesn't help much either... Sure event shirts often suck, some little kid that can't draw worth a damn with an art degree scabs some crap off the net that barely looks like a car and prints it on T-shirt. Most of the time though at least the ads and shirts reflect the basis of the show. If you see an ad or shirt with slammed yellow Ford covered in billet crap, even in cartoon form you think goodguys, right? If you promote an event that is supposed to about vintage hotrods like this someone involved doesn't get the difference or it wasn't worth the time to do it right.

If its the same or better great, I hope it stays that way, but we have enough boring, lawn chair events.

10. Shift_Taste

Shift_Taste
    from Ohio

Look, I gotta drive like 15 minutes to get to this honkey tonk, did we get this shit sorted out or what?

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I received no direct mailing and the event is less then 30 days away. I've been to the event before so in all reality I should have been on the mailing list. In the past myself and all my Detroit area pals have gotten the flyer at the Detroit Autorama. None of us received anything this year and not all of them are HAMB memebrs.

12. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I too have not received any direct announcement from Dragway 42 but I did get my copy of Cruisin Times and there is a full page flyer in it. There is however no amounts for anything at all! I'd like to know how much a vendor spot is going for, I did go to the Dragway 42 web site but saw nothing there (obviously I wasn't looking in the right place!).
    Like I said earlier this was one of the best run/shows/race ETC ETC ETC!!! that I attended last year (right up there with Jalopy Showdown).

14. You know I guess I don't mind a quick 16....I can deal with more cars racing even if it something that I wasn't into because at least it is racing.....but what really is starting to piss me off is the fact that stuff is just falling through the cracks everywhere:

Flyers? Mailing lists? Vendor spots/pricing? Entry fees?

And then not answering requests just tells me that they are so busy putting on a show for "Us" that they don't have time for "Us".

Money is tight in many households and people are looking for the best bang for the buck in EVERYTHING! My circumstances tell me that instead of a big family vacation we have been doing alot of small local events...festivals, cruise-ins, Norwalk and Thompson's with overnight camping. This event is still on my list of things to do but as each day gets closer it goes further down the list if simple basic questions are not answered.

There is the Mespotamia Ox roast the same weekend and as Rock and race goes down the list the mespo Ox roast goes up. 3 weeks away and no answers, at week #2 I'll be asking my buds who wants to do Canfield swapmeet and hit the Ox roast on the way home!!!!!!

Come on 42....get your heads out of your ass and let us know what the gig is. It is a damn shame that a customer (me, my family, and a few others on here that are lurking) has to beg you for answers so you can take our money.

15. Gasser57

Gasser57

Burnout contest moved to Sunday afternoon
    The "New"" logo
    Unless you subscribe to Cruisin Times or know Jim Murphy personally, you have no idea the event is even taking place this year due to the lack of promotion
    And now, the Quick 16
    The only thing left to add is the stereo contest, invite the tuners, the jr. dragsters, and monster trucks.
    Could they do anything else to ruin a great event?
    I've been to every one.
    I like steak, and I like Jello. But I'm not dumb enough to think that they will taste EVEN BETTER if I mix them together and eat them!

16. Hey Kevin instead of a JelloSteak maybe I could interest you in an Ox burger?

17. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Well I think I am going to pass on this event. I will wait to see what is said after it is over. When I saw the cut off was 1976 it just seemed like a track weekend and we are the side show. I hope I am wrong and that it turns out great but the quick 16 adds one more non traditional loop into it.

Jon

18. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Our crew is skipping this year also. We've usually had between 4-8 cars and carloads, but sitting this one out.

19. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

This thing is screwed - everyreply from this guy sounds like a CNN News interview with a political hack. He's spinning more crap then all the cars going thru the bleach box.

20. Crap I got the OX Roast days wrong. The Ox Roast is this weekend. Oh well we still got Canfield. I had plans on taking the wife and daughter to this one. Looks like I'll sit this one out also.

This Friday is Stick shift cars at Thompson. I'll do this one with the family. Mix of old and new cars, violent launches all cool and my 4 year old digs 'em.

Yesterday was Norwalk....TAD/TAFC/ Top Fuel guys.....rest of the summer is going to be Ho-hum from an ET/MPH point of view.:cool:

Sorry 42 but not enough info out there. I'm sure a couple of guys from our club will go and I hope they have fun, but I can already hear the report at the next meeting about how much fun they had compared to last year.

21. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Well,,,,, I am a Vendor again this year and pre paid. Would also like to take my car. I was at the track and spoke with Jack, he said they want the flavor to stay the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then this quick 16 thing pops up.

I will be there anyway,,,

By the way, they do answer the phone, even though they don't communicate well on the net,

(just a thought)

Dave

22. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Dave,

If you bring a couple cases of miller high life I will sneak in under the fence

23. rubba

rubba

As long as alot of old school type folks and cool cars show up, it will be a blast. Personally I am going to give it a chance this year. It has got to better than a swap meet. See ya there!!!

24. Al Von

Al Von

I've been reading this thread for weeks and I can't take it anymore!

Sigh....I live 20 minutes away from Dragway 42. I look forward to this event every year. I take that Fri/Sat/Sun off every year. Dragway 42's website has even less info than their dumb-ass flier. You folks REALLY dropped the ball!

Too bad Jim Murphy was not able to repeat his magic like the last shows. That guy KNOWS how to promote.

I didn't get anything in the mail either.

Like many other people, I want to know HOW MUCH $$ to get in???

WHICH bands are playing on WHICH nights???

Is that too much to ask for? Straight, no-spin answers to simple questions, from LOCAL people who actually WANT to do business with you?

There is PLENTY of other car shows or bands to see that weekend. Give me a coupla reasons to go back to 42...

25. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]

horse puckey

Attached Files:

26. Al Von

Al Von

Hey, I know those dudes!

27. DIRTYDAG

DIRTYDAG
    from cleveland

yeah well i didnt get a mailer and i WAS ONE that handed flyers out at all the autoramas and chopper shows!

28. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

65. for a three day pass to run your heep

bary mantilow and air supply will be the bands playing

john force sighning t-shirts

I regret missing it this year, but I have an ice cream social at local church to attend with my mother

29. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i hope its not as bad as alot of people are thinking.my wife called off work and i talked my kids into going!!!i bought a motorhome{not sure if it will make it}i have been there for the last 3 years and have had alot of fun!my family is really excited to go.if curly and litttleman dont go that will be very sad{they like them alot}maybe it will be just as good as before with just a few changes.well if it sucks atleast ill be able to spend some quality time with them{and my best friend MILLER HIGHLIFE}what ever happens a know we'll have fun.

30. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

In trying to please everyone you often please no one. Too bad, I would have liked to attend this year. Have fun fellas.