Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trouble insuring my 50 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellbound66, May 19, 2009.

1. Hellbound66

Hellbound66
    from Minnesota

I have a 1950 Buick that I'm trying to insure. It's rusty and tough looking so I guess it's sort of a rat rod. I tried insuring it through J.C. Taylor and they said they will not insure a car that has rust and no interior. I'm looking for someone that will insure it in it's current condition. Please help, I only have 31 days till the back to the 50's car show.

2. OlSchoolCruizin

OlSchoolCruizin
    from Tampa, fl

try geico, i got my 55 insured for 112 for the year

3. have you tired the everyday type insurance companies?
    farmers, geico, AAA, etc...

my 52 is insured thru mercury.

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Go straight to Hagerty.com..... my buddy has full coverage on his 53 chevy for $8000 and it's nearly $100 a year!

Do a search on here, you'll find plenty of threads on insurance on here!

5. Firetop

Firetop
    from chicago

Just know some of the specialty insurance companies have restrictions.

Ive had mine insured from the day I got it and its never been on the road.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  6. BBobb

BBobb

I have my fiddy Buick insured thru American Collectors.And it not even on the road

7. Mopar34

Mopar34

Most collector car insurers have restrictions some more than others, some are kind of kinky too, but many will insure a project car on the road or not. I've had good service with Hagerty, as well as Grundy. Midwest Classic Insurance out of Illinois also was a good company. Most have websites and online quotes. If you're not getting good answers from the web, use the phone and call to talk to an agent. Their usually smarter than their computers.

8. yblock292

yblock292

go to Hagerty! quick..........

9. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Had my 60 f-100 insured through State Farm.

10. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

I'm with American Collectors.............Rich

11. Hellbound66

Hellbound66
    from Minnesota

I ended up going with Midwest Classic Insurance. Thanks for all the help as usual. :D

12. AAA....133 a year for the Pontiac

13. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Allstate wanted a 4 pics of the car , saw primer on it and raised the quote , nevertheless I'm with Hagerty

14. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I use Progressive. Got a quote online and temp. Insurance card within an hour. No pics required. Pretty cheap too.

15. vertible59

vertible59

What kind of coverage is that? Declared value, comprehensive, under insured motorist? I am asking because all I have is liability, and that's scary.:confused:

16. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Hagerty Hagerty Hagerty :D

17. State Farm is pretty good, I went through the same deal on a company, I forget who (I think it was J.C. Taylor too) but they basically didn't want my business unless my car was perfect. I think I actually told the guy on the phone to go fuck himself, he was really obnoxious and my patience ran out. Then I called up State Farm and had no problems. Cheap, local office, no problems swapping stuff around either.

I had Geico and Progressive both in years past and a lot of those mainstream companies will not insure cars older than a certain year cutoff. You might be okay, I think it was 1950 for Geico, but worth being aware of.

18. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Try Hagerty !
    I went with them for a beater 55 Ford that is part primer and 2 different colors of paint ! I only did the primmer . They took pictures and I got the insurance in about 3-5 days . All for $124 a YEAR ! That is with a towing and road service too ! Can't beat that !

I had Allstate and they got me for $74 for 6 months .
    Glad I listened to the people from the HAMB ! Always good advise here !

19. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I've been with Haggerty for 15 years with zero probs and I understand the coverage. I looked at Grundy because it appeared to be less $$ but wasn't sure what was covered and what wasn't.

I even have the Haggerty "no charge 50 mile flatbed tow option" for $40 in case the need arises. Feel better about no spare now.

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I went with Parrish Heacock. E-mail photos and the only thing was the underwriter wanted to buy my rod.

21. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I just have liability...I have enough coverage that I feel comfortable anyone involved in an accident is covered. As far as damages to my car I figured in the event that my car is damaged, through any fault of my own, that I built it once and I can build it again.

22. Have any pics of those '50 Buicks? My dad used a 1950 Buick Special as his daily driver until about 1971 when we moved and the car was left behind.

23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yep, Hagerty. I have tried about all of them and in my experience Hagerty provides the best coverage with the fewest limitations at a very good price. While I have never had a claim (knock wood) a couple of my friends did who also use Hagerty and they have had no problem geting their antiques/rods/vintage sports cars repaired the right way by the right shops with no hassles.