Register now to get rid of these ads!

29Jay Model A Sedan Progress Report

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, May 17, 2009.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Man I am sooo glad I got to work in the garage this weekend! After not being able to even touch my car in 4 of the last 5 weekends.... :(:( I am back on track. :D:D

I had plenty of time to plan out some work, order materials, search for how to tips etc... I started Friday evening cutting out the 1/4" plate to make the rear spring pearch. I wish I had something better to cut with... The angle grinder on that stuff is a butt woop'n! After lots of holes drilled, grinding etc, I finished getting it buttoned up...

I welded up trans cross member. Nothing too fancy, Chassis Engineering 2" drop... Drilling those holes seemed like it was going to take all day...

I owe The HAMB and Scooter for the drip rail idea!!!! 5/8" square tubing with the top and part of the side cut out. Hell yea! That was the way to go. I still have a lot of welding and grinding to do... But they are on there!

I drilled the hole for the cowl steering and bolted on the arm. I mocked up the steering wheel just for kicks and grins

Shooting for the Dallas Them Show in September...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. Rusty

Rusty

Looking good bud!

3. that looks like some nice work..but to be honest , the drip rail looks a bit over done. you must be expecting a real down pour. my `28 tudor has no drip rail at all

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Well... I still have some trimming/grinding to do to smooth and round etc... The size is pretty darn close to stock. :cool:

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good Jay!! Keep going!!

How are you going to handle the welds on the top and bottom of the drip rail? Are you going to fully weld it and then grind it smooth?

Where did your rear spring perches end up? How close were they to the stock locations??

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If your spring clip bars under the rear spring are that thin stuff I would think about replacing them with something a little more substantial. In combination with that odd tapering of the perch from front to back I think you might see a lot of "working" going on back there which could loosen up the nuts and make a big problem if not noticed.
    Looks like a fun project.

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Lookin' good Jay! You should be able to find a nice set of early ford u-bolts and stock forged spring clips pretty cheap, that's what I did with my rear perch. You'll be cruisin in no time!

8. Looking good, you'll need a lot of week-ends in the garage to finish in time...I'm pulling for ya. Keep posting updates.

9. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

• Where ever it was..:rolleyes: I did the math so many times... I have to put that spring on one leaf at a time. It starts out tight. I deflects more than I had hoped. I stacked 500lbs on it yesterday... and bounced... It cleared everything i needed it to...
    • Is 1/4" plate "thin stuff"? I have a little more to do back there... Are you saying I need to do as Thunderbird suggests and get a Ford spring clip?
    • All I have there now is 4" x 1.5" x 1/4" bar... I did not buy the bolts long enough so they will get replaced... I'm guessing this is not a good idea?
    Thanks guys for looking out for me!!!

10. Big Dad

Big Dad

Looks good, stay at it !

11. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Bid Dad, are you going to the Prop Wash deal on the 23rd? I hope to show up around 5 or 6 to hang out a bit... See you there
    Jay

12. QMOTOX

QMOTOX
    from STL, MO

What box are you using for your cowl steering setup? I'm thinking about reworking my '29 for cowl steering.

13. Big Dad

Big Dad

I PLAN on it .. My road to my house was ripped out Dec 08 and its been unpassable every since

I'll post a pic of the mud I have to fight to get in and out, I've not taken anything out of the garage since they did that

The project has been WAY,WAY more than I ever expected they would do Now its concrete 16" thick ( I'm serious) and almost have a lane
    done

So, I might have to just come over in my 06 Charger

14. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

any mid '60's Mopar manual box.

[​IMG]

Dreadman did a real nice tech piece on this box... The guy that did the turning lives near me, all he needs is your pitman arm and some math from you...

15. Leeroy

Leeroy
    from Boerne, TX

Man... Did you leave the garage at all this weekend? If you keep this up, you'll be done in a couple of weeks.

Nice work Jay!

Lee

16. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Ha ha I wish it were only that easy. both my boys were out of the house for the weekend. I took my wife a daughter to a late morning breakfast. I wraped up Sat by 7:00 to take my bride out on a date. Back at it Sunday 'till 5:00... Those darn time steeling neighbors that come by to "look" Sure wish they were around when I was drilling all those holes...

I think September is a good goal. I still have some things to work out... Like how to fit the break pedal arm and gas pedal. I need a drive shaft and rear breaks. roof, floor, break lines, fuel line, etc....

17. hvychvy

hvychvy

18. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Hvychvy,
    Thank you for the tips on the lines! I recieved another tip or two on filling in the rear fender wells too. Lots to do, lots to plan... I'm stuck out of town working till friday.

19. hvychvy

hvychvy

Glad I could help,holler if ya need anything:)

20. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I busted a hump all day yesterday and finished the wheel wells. I do not own an english wheel, so these were shaped over my leg and with a curved piece of pipe and a hammer to round the edges. The large opening is needed to clear my spring perches. They are at 43" and so is the bottom of the panel. I plan to add a trim piece to cover the inside a little better.

This was also the first time I used my new bead roller on a "real" part. I had only played with it up till yesterday.

I finished up in time to make it to Propwash. What a great time! :D

Attached Files:

21. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

Everything looks great, keep up the great work

22. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

wow jay that is some nice fab work. i like it!!!!!

23. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

24. cdeklavs

cdeklavs
    from port perry

Looks Killer man, great job!!!!

25. 30roadster

30roadster

Geez that all looks great Jay! You've just lit a fire under my ass
    :D - Thanks!

26. HOTRODDORK

HOTRODDORK
    from Michigan

Lookin good Jay! Keep up the good work. I planned on spending all weekend in the garage too, but I decided to build my boys a monster treehouse while they went to cottage with the inlaws. Shhh it's a secret.:D

27. 65 impala

65 impala

dam jay looking fine i see a motorcyle jack what up?

28. jtille

jtille

Looking Good!!!

29. HotRod33

HotRod33

Looks good thanks for the info on the steering box.....

30. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Glad to help out... If you need the pitman arm and shaft made, let me know. All you need to do is mail me the pitman... I can have the rest done. PM me if you want more info...

Jay