Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ohio Hambers....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom55, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Tell me about Ohio. I will be in Powell, Ohio next spring (March I think). What is it like there? What can I expect in the way of food, people, weather and car culture. Feel free to email me if you want to save [email protected] Thanks

2. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

you need to speak to fellow bustingear. he moved to pickerington from texas last yaer . good guy cool car. anyway powell is yuppie america. pricey houses and pricier property taxes. i live in deleware county as well but in the north east corner near sunbury. but goodguys comes to cols each year w=and ther is rairly a weekend in the summer that ther is not an event with in reasonable distance from ther.... PM when you can if i sparked your intrest

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I am from Indy not Ohio but if you are the least little bit of a race fan you have got to go to Eldora speedway and see a 410 wing sprint car on the high bank dirt. There is nothing like it.

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Yuppieville is right. Columbus has a lot to do though. I don't live there now but grew up there. I was a dummy for moving. What are you going for?

5. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Are you moving there or just visiting. Roaddevil, I think, lives just a bit North of there. He should know about the car culture question. Anywhere near Columbus should provide much, much entertainment on Friday and Saturday night. There is LOTS to do in Columbus. That's why my wife always wants to go there. It's the same reason I like to stay away....

I'm about 2 hours due South.....

6. sickboy13

sickboy13

i live here in akron. 45 min. south of cleveland and a little less than 2 hours from columbus. weather changes day to day. the local CRUZ always has tons of people and RODS on friday and sat. night. lots of cool people here. and it's great living inbetween the two big cities. hope this helps!!!!!!!

7. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Yeah, I'm near Youngstown. Don't come here!!:D

If you're just visiting, I'm sure one of us can entertain ya!

If you're moving here, buy a coat. It snowed here like mad this past march:eek: :D

What's the occasion?

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

You'll be in the middle of Yuppie City!
    Don't come to Ohio, we are all gay like the Michiganites.
    The only difference is they came out and we are still in the ignore stage.
    Alot of car shit to do in Ohio.
    You could spend every single day going to something if you wanted. No exaggeration. Come on in only if your queer.
    Weather.....
    You will get frustrated over the weather. Too much rain and cold and snow and it last way too long. We actually only have 5 months of weather over 60 degrees. The rest of the time its 40 and raining when its not its -10 and snowing.

9. toledobill

toledobill

I can only agree with the previous posts.
    The only direct knowledge of Powell I have is attending an Open House there two weeks ago. It was on a private man-made lake in a house that had to go between $500,00 and a mill. It was an elegant and delightful soiree, and we left duly impressed.
    The only added consideration you should keep in mind was that the host was the past owner of a Chevy dealership. Hey, even here in Toledo, Chevy dealers live in some pretty nice digs. Maybe in Powell, there's just more retired Chevy dealers.

The drive along Ohio 315 is beautiful, and Columbus (15 minutes away) rocks.

I think you'll like it just fine.

10. If you go buy the He-man testicular weather device here in Cleveland....

Winter = Bitter cold & 120 inches of snow (not kidding). Nuts have pulled up so far inside for warmth it looks like you need a bi-lateral hernia repair.

Spring = Cold and rainy. Nuts descend to look like they are in the proper anatomical place buts seem shrivled up and small????

Summer = 90 degrees + 90% humidity. One Nut sticks to each knee making shorts difficult to wear and at best, with proper tucking, looks like a bad case of "cameltoe-itis"

Fall= Well depending on the day a combo of all three above.

Car scene....damn near a different cruise daily. Weekends are great for drags, shows, swapmeets for the last 1/2 of spring, all summer and the first 1/2 of fall.

Food...you name it someone has a night for that, 50 cent Taco night, 10 cent wings, all you can eat prime rib, all you can eat crab legs. 99 cent 23 oz draft beer nite (all day on Mondays).

Women...bundle up in the winter in uni-sex clothing but they make up for it (some even over-compensate) with HOT little summer dresses and Daisy Dukes in July. Some of them have NO right to wear Daisy Dukes but because of the above mentioned food and an apparent lack of friends...

Not to many poisinous snakes, bugs are small, Mosquitos are pests that now carry West Nile Virus. Deer likes to run out infront of you from time to time.

I have traveled all over the US and like coming home to Ohio but somewhere about Late Jan- Feb if you do not have a heated garage cabin fever sets in. I like Ohio and probably will never move but I find myself wanting to take vacations to hot/dry places every year like Phoenix/Las Vegas and I really dig San Diego (Not so hot or dry) but I like the mix of people.

11. LOL, thanks for all the insight on Ohio. The family and I are going to be visiting other friends who moved from SoCal like us to Powell, Ohio. We will probably be there for 2 weeks, so I am trying to get a feel of where to go, what to do and where to do it. Y'all have given me some really useful information. Yuppies...yea, they dont bother me. Our friends are and it has been said by some that we are too. Just tattooed yuppies. Thanks again

12. mtflat

mtflat

I lived there in the early 60's as a kid, and put my share of pennies and junk on the railroad tracks that ran beside our house. Then it was a sleepy farming community with a feed mill, gas station, couple of mom and pop grocery stores. Everybody knew who you were. Outside of town was the Powell Speedway but it was shut down due to the death of a kid in the stands who got hit by a stray wheel.

30 years later it had turned into one big Antique Shop - all the above businesses and even my old house was an antique shop - UNREAL! Multi-million dollar housing as the others have said. Don't know what it's like now but it can't be much better. There used to be a zoo nearby, a pretty cool dam on the Scioto river close to the zoo, even an amusement park.

13. leadsled01

leadsled01

Ohio is alright. Like everybody said "long cold winters (for working on your rod)". "blistering heat and humidity in the summer (for drinking beer)" Hey knowbody mentioned the strip clubs....

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Only in perverted Summit county:D

15. Geiser

Geiser
    from Massillon

HA! Gotta love the young good looking ohio honeys who love to get naked for you!

16. bustingear

bustingear

Ok Gear is Here....I moved from Big D LY and found that you can count on rain or snow 50% of th time. March would be a tough month for auto happenings. Contact us when you get closer in time and we will review the car happenings for you. Bring a jacket.

National Trails Drags
    Columbus Motor Speedway (to small)
    Motorcycle Museum
    Easton and Polaris (for the misses)
    Lots of Beer.....
    To many Billet car shows
    Not enough traditional car happenings.
    A good place to build hot rods in the winter.
    No inspections.

Later....Bustingear

17. MonsterGS

MonsterGS
    from home

Hello CLEVELAND! New to hamb... new to hot rods. old to working on cars and bikes. Hello! I turned in my love for water cooled VWs, and kept my love for BMW motorcycles. But I just decided to get in to the vintage car game. I bought a RAD 1961 buick special. I will most likely rock it as ratty as possible, and do my own work on it... DO NT CHASTISE ME FOR THIS!!! but I want to roll on it as soon as possible so I am looking for a good shop to wrench on it as soon as possible. It needs new brake lines run on it, and I am soo busy as of late that I am looking to pay to have it worked on. any suggestions in cleveland?

Cheers!

18. floored

floored

Welcome, just a few pointers, don't use the words "rad" or "ratty" and you should be alright, also please don't pull up 4year old post.

19. MonsterGS

MonsterGS
    from home

Great. that helped.

20. Degreaser

Degreaser

"March" and "Spring" are two totally different things here in Ohio. Chances are it will be fucked up and freezing. But April and May are usually decent. You should be able to find plenty of stuff to do inside if the weather sucks.

21. Y'all fergot the world renouned Cols. Zoo

Quaker Steak n Lube

22. Mike53

Mike53

If you like bikes the AMA museum is worth the trip.