Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1927 Model T gas tank question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe-De-CAB, May 18, 2009.

1. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Hello fellas,
    Does anyone know the gallon size for a stock gas tank hidden under the cowl?

I'm debating whether to restore and keep the original stock tank where it's at or put a larger model T one in the bed of my RPU?

Do any of you run a stocker tank in your model T hot rod?

Thanks in advance for your help:)
    Grace and peace†
    cab

2. mopedcouple

mopedcouple

I am still building my T, but i am going to run the original tank under the cowl. I am not sure what size it is? Its small, but i am going to run a little chevy 235 straight 6. There are gas stations everywhere around here, so I am not to worried about distance.

3. I'd mount one in or under the bed Steve, safety 1st and all that...Go with a foam filled cell under the floor...Not exactly 'traditional' but safe.

Like the one Scotty used in the blue truck

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

for safety sake I would vote for loosing the cowl tank as well. Sorry I can't help with a measurement.
    http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort
    From what I can tell, Mac's does not even sell one for the restoration crowd. Maybe for the safety aspect of it. If you go with one in the bed, The Hot Rod company sells the same style and you can use your alliance discount with them.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just shipped a NOS one last week, I'd guess it is a 15-20 gallon tank. FOUR MILLION Model A Fords had cowl tanks, I wouldn't worry about running the stocker.

6. 40Tudor

40Tudor

My Model T gas gauge says more or less 10 gallons depending on the year and model. The cowl mounted tank I have for my 27 Touring looks like about that to me.

7. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

Dave,
    Traditionally, i want to build this RPU how they ran it back in 1947, and back then hotrods were unsafe ...in a traditional sense:)
    Thanks for your input though, i appreciate your concern and i understand where your coming from my friend!
    thanks,
    stevie

8. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

I have the stock cowl tank in my 27' touring. It works just fine now that I cleaned and sealed it. Not sure of the exact gallonage, around 5-8.

9. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

For all those who replied with the cowl stock gas tanks, thanks for your input, i appreciate it very much:)
    cheers,
    cab

10. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

10 gallons of gas in my lap kind of creeps me out. I sold my stock 27 T tank and will buy one of the Summit steel Tanks and install it in the trunk with a firewall between us.I had a 29 Model A that I used the stock tank but never felt comfortable with it sloshing around in front of me. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

But bikers think nothing about the tank of gas between their legs. :rolleyes::confused:

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Model T tanks run 10 gallons. Ever see those stock Ford straps that hold a 26-27 tank in place? Look like they would hold a telephone pole steady in a hurricane.
    Make sure you use the gasket around the filller surround that pushes gainst the cowl top. Snyder's and others sell them.

13. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

I'd go for moving to another location and bigger size just so you aren't stuck re-filling as often. Mine is long gone from beneath the cowl and made room for running wires and keeping the clutter to a minimum. Just my .02.

14. Gary DeVore

Gary DeVore

It takes 231 cubic inches to make a gallon.

15. No worries Steve,

I just figure if yo build it, you need to race it at least once on the lakes... :D

16. Jax2A

Jax2A

But it's real easy to get off a bike in a wreck... normally it happens without even trying.

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Like the other say its 10 gallons. Run the orginal tank ( cleaned and sealed).
    Ater burning 10 gallons in a T , you will want to stop and get our anyway........:eek::D

18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

fill it with water and weigh it. 8 lbs a gallon