Register now to get rid of these ads!

RANT! Its 'Punch A Resto-Nerd In The Nose' Time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Homeresque, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK. Im not some young stud covered in tats, I got more gray hair than not. And Ive been addicted to the FordBarn message board as long as Ive been to the HAMB. Lately the usuals on the Early V8 portion of the Barn have been getting a little militant in their disgust of anything not totally restoration-minded, even berating one guy who had the GALL to consider fitting a '40 dash in his '39. So now, one dude chimes in about how he'd ventured onto the 'Streetrodder' board of the Barn and how it painfully affected him and this whole long thread develops about 'bad hot/streetrodders' chopping everything up, one guy even going so far as to badmouth the HAMB. More than I can stand! I come in late and say how disappointing this all is and point out that you never hear a hotrodder bagging on resto-guys, yet its common for the older(and supposedly more mature?) nerds to regularly take an elitist/snobby/shitty attitude towards hot/streetrodders, and asked why dont they just grow up? Some dork comes back accusing me of cutting up cars, blahblahblah.
    So I quit the Barn(you know, before they fire me!).
    Soo...as soon as my roadsters on the road and I encounter the first resto-dork(prolly in 'period-correct outfit') coming the other way, Im giving him one big fat juicy HAMB middle finger. He wont even see it as he'd rather die than look over at my rolling abortion. But it'll be there nonetheless in all its HAMB-glory!! C'mon boys, WHO'S WITH ME?!?
    Ahhh, I feel so much better now, hangin with my TRUE homies. OK, Im done.

2. Not worth worrying about....

(though this COULD crack 6 pages....)

3. [ QUOTE ]
    ... Im giving him one big fat juicy HAMB middle finger...

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew this would come in handy,
    [​IMG]
    I've gotten a few parts from the FordBarn advertisers, I just don't tell them what I'm using them for until I get a feel what their opinion of us "butchers" is. When they say "stinkin' hot rodders" I say "Yeah, them stinkin' hot rodders! fuck 'em all!" Then I get my part and do what I want with it.

4. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

there is/was some decent folks over there and answered several questions I had but when I got the idea not to "restore" it I knew better than to ask anything more and slowly just quit going to that board, good knowledge and resources there just have to play by their rules on their board same as here [​IMG]
    they didn't seem anymore critical of a guy unrestoring a rig anymore than the more vocal HAMBers in regards to VW's and ricers [​IMG] [​IMG]

then again I haven't been there for several months

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    there is/was some decent folks over there and answered several questions I had but when I got the idea not to "restore" it I knew better than to ask anything more and slowly just quit going to that board, good knowledge and resources there just have to play by their rules on their board same as here [​IMG]
    they didn't seem anymore critical of a guy unrestoring a rig anymore than the more vocal HAMBers in regards to VW's and ricers [​IMG] [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said

6. Funny thing, I know a rodder that hangs out there and lurks here. He knows me quite well and thinks this place is a little "heathen".............wait, I answered my own thought [​IMG]

7. racer5c

racer5c

I am collecting parts for a replica of my dad's 40's lakes car (better known as Art Chrismans 25 car) I was at a swap meet in Zepherhills Fla and stumbled across a 1923 Franklin Steering that I REALLY needed for the car, the guy asks me what model Franklin I have and I tell him what I am needing the steering for and he proceeds to rip me a new asshole tellin me that Mother F**kers like me are why there aren't any Franklin steerings around and to get the hell outta his booth. Funny thing was the swap meet was at a vintage race meet.

8. DRD57

DRD57

[ QUOTE ]
    I got more gray hair than not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got more not than gray hair [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i read one post on a guy visiting the street rod forum...and one guy posted something like you better not go over to the hamb something about having an annurism or something ... i thought it was funny .... face it hes up tight about tci ...hes probely gonna blow when he sees neil making a 32 shell out of a GM part i dont think that was a slam against the hamb

10. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Ive never been one of the baggers of VWs/ricers since I spent 20 years squeezing VWs/Porsches and think Hondas are the Model A's of this generation. Butttt..., theres a certain relation between hotrodders and restos wherein we are 'working the same mine', and if you go over there(or anywhere with restos) and if you dont 'play by their rules' you suffer their wrath. But when was the last time you heard a hotrodder say on his board 'Gawd, I went to the Model T swap and what a bunch of toothless-hillbilly-overall-wearing-dorks with brass lamps'?? We dont do that, in fact its the opposite. You hear young guys saying they saw something really cool, or met some guy who really knew the shit. And in this case its wasnt even someone not playing by their rules, just a general urge to start bagging on non-resto-types.
    I know, theres a LOT of really cool, knowledgable, NORMAL people there(ME, Bruce, Stan) but Ive just had it with the nasty negative shit from some Early V8 Club dorks in overalls and derby hats, and Im not going back. I had my doubts about us HAMBsters recently, but Ive seen us in a new light now...we're the best! We should just jump back and kiss ourselves. Even Don with his no-hair interior.

But dont forget about the finger!

11. [ QUOTE ]
    i read one post on a guy visiting the street rod forum...and one guy posted something like you better not go over to the hamb something about having an annurism or something ... i thought it was funny .... face it hes up tight about tci ...hes probely gonna blow when he sees neil making a 32 shell out of a GM part i dont think that was a slam against the hamb

[/ QUOTE ]

From my observation they think very lowly of the HAMB. 'Course, if we bathed once in awhile we might get more dates.

12. steevil

steevil

Yep. The only game in town for model A parts and the owner hates Hot rodders.

I bought a bunch of stuff from him and he finally got wind of what I was building and gave me nothing but attitude.

Funny, even after he knew I was building a rod, he still had no problem taking my cash.

13. I'm not much for the stocker type guys. I can't even GET help on my Kaiser if I say anything about the fact that I'm customing it... they hate it.

14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

[/ QUOTE ]

'Course, if we bathed once in awhile we might get more dates.

[/ QUOTE ] [​IMG] [​IMG]...neils was a good example, ive seen stuff on here that even raises my eye brow... im happy being a bottom feeder i guess.... all the cars i started with, a restorer or street rodder wouldnt even think of using [​IMG]

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

racer5c, Is this the car your dad had? If so you'll need a Franklin front axle too. Back in the 1970's I was restoring a Riley 4-Port sprint car, and found a Franklin steering setup that was once in a midget, sitting in the dirt at the local junkyard. Walked over to the office to get a price on it, "What does it fit?" asked the yard owner. "Don't know, I need it for a garden tractor" I said. "Ok, five bucks.". You have to think quick. I like all kinds of cars, there is more info on the HAMB and more informed people than any other site I've seen. I really enjoy being here and sharing what knowledge I've picked up along the way.

Attached Files:

16. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From my observation they think very lowly of the HAMB. 'Course, if we bathed once in awhile we might get more dates.

[/ QUOTE ]

They look at us the same way people look at members of any outlaw biker group [​IMG]

17. Hey, I posted something like this a couple years back. Wear your HAMB T shirt to an average rod event. I have seen the looks cast in my direction. Fuckin idiots wanna judge me? hahhhahaha, they should know I am the one who judges! [​IMG] that is entirely satirical, and I hapen to be watching the HISTORY OF THE WORLD [​IMG]

18. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

Sign me up on that.

NAILHEAD

19. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

ive never been to the site but it sounds like a bunch of stuck up old farts. i know a few around here like that. i'll see um check out my 54, try to figure out what it is... then shake there head. fuck um. i got a friend i buy model a parts from. he's a resto guy. looks at my cars and laughs. i told him about my 31 build... chop, channel, z'ed... i told him "hey at least its not sittin in some old farts back yard, waiting for some love." he agreed.
    i think the hamb is great. large varity of styles, people, and knowledge that are ready to share.

20. haring

haring

Building a period-correct hot rod is just as anal-retentive as restoring a car.

Well, it is if you're doing it the right way. [​IMG]

21. tomslik

tomslik

no shit!

kinda funny, those old restorers don't want to pay for the parts we don't need, they think we should give 'em to them.

...then i throw it into the iron trailer;)

22. swazzie

swazzie

Fuck YAH! HOMER! Get it man!

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Why is it important to be accepted by any group ?
    If we chose to be different and our tastes is not of the majority. Then we are asking for a mix of attitudes and opinions of our cars and/or lifestyles. The fordbarn has a great wealth of knowledge and experience. Most of these guys were actually driving these cars everyday in the 40's and 50's. These guys love the look of the Ford cars in the original form. How could anyone not love the body styles created by the men who were lightyears ahead of their time. And the sound and nostalgia created by a flat out running flathead is the best music ever created. These older guys worry that we are ruining these styles and lines created by Ford. There are also alot of old hotrodders from the 50's whom have decided to go the stock route later in life just for these very reasons. I appreciate the stock form along with the chopped channeled look. Most of the cars we tear up are actually in a condition too far beyond making them stock anymore. It's one thing to tear up a choice original Ford that's in good shape. Its another to take one in pieces and throw it on a Ford or fabricated frame and bring a junkyard flatty back to life.
    Who said...........???
    Chop it with an axe and paint it with a broom. [​IMG]

24. hambers don't bag on other car builders (restorers, gold chainers, other general screw ups), since when??????

25. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

It is my thought that if any item is advertized or displayed publicly for sale, then the item is and should be available to any one who displays the capability of purchase(Money or item of barter).
    I believe that any one who refuses to sell to any one is guilty of breaking at least four or five points of law and even trampling on some of the amendments to the United States Of America's constitution.
    I am not in favor of "the finger", I am in favor of asking the individual, or individuals if they want to face me in a court of law.
    It really does not cost that much to use the Small Claims court system.
    Another option would be to ask for the swap meet's organizer to intervene or if the refusal to sell and the added negative comments were the opinion of the promoter?
    Maybe, the word would get out and this unacceptable behavior would cease to exist.

26. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

If you really want to piss one of them off buy one of their totally restoed cars and turn it into a hot rod. When you are done drive back to their house and tell them that it was their car.

27. I am just happy that no matter how monstrous my car becomes, it will still be accepted on the HAMB [​IMG]

28. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I had a parts-shop owner give me some mild grief because I chose to hot rod my Morris. I pointed out that I'd started off with about half a rotted bodyshell and no running gear. What the hell am I supposed to do, I asked him, scour the earth trying to find a complete 1934 Morris Eight rolling chassis, drive train and interior, just so I can have a car exactly the same as several thousand others that rolled outta the Morris factory? [​IMG]

29. Man, this IS gonna go six pages(so I'll do my part [​IMG])

It really seems to be a poisonous attitude with those resto guys--too bad [​IMG].
    One of my goldchain customers was building a glass 37 Ford, had it up to roller status, and an old geezer came in his shop, saw it, then proceeded to give him immortal hell over "ruining that old car". After a 3-minute screaming red-faced rant, my guy says "Are you through? It's FIBERGLASS!" The geezer turned and left [​IMG]

30. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

Ok, I'm a new guy here, so maybe my vote don't count, but I got lots of gray hair hell I'm lucky I got hair. I have restored cars and bikes as well as built choppers in the sixties. I got retored cars and a hot rod. I built my model A as a hot rod I always wanted, Hell it's not period correct, I didn't know what period correct even was until a year or two ago, but I did all the work including the motor tranny and paint. The end result of all this is who gives a fuck, it's about doing what makes you appreciate your ride, it's yours. If someone gets uptight about you cutting a car fuck um, If the restoration people get bent cause they don't like the rods it's there loss. Look at who was one of the original rodders Henry Ford himself, he was always interested in speed and style, If it wasn't for rodders the new Chryslers would have chopped tops now would they. Sorry for the long post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.