Register now to get rid of these ads!

To Friends and Acquaintences of Junkyard Jan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shotrod64, May 18, 2008.

1. Drive Em

Drive Em

She will be missed. I met her online 5 years ago and we talked alot because of our mutual interest in circle track racing. I wish I had lived closer to her because it would have been real cool to hang out with her. She was getting ready to start racing her modified in a few weeks. She was a real racer and a hot rodder to the core.

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

that we know of. RIP old friends...

3. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

I too talked to Jan's family on the phone this evening. They asked me to tell ya'll thanks for all the phone calls and concern. They were surpised she had so many friends across the nation. Even though there will no funeral service or such, as by her request, we can remember her by her good advice and friendship.

When you're at your local dirt track and see a Ford circle burner, think of Jan.

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

I remember the night she did her intro - liked her a lot, right from the start! Always got a warm fuzzy from her posts, as she reminded me of another woman I used to work with who restored Packards - it's kind of a lonely way to go, but they can't help it. Hope some more women come along to take her place with as much character. Jan will be missed. A lot...

5. collector

collector
    from madera,ca

Godspeed J J. also,enjoyed her posts. RIP..

6. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

She knew everyone in the Midwest circle track scene. Encyclopedic knowledge of who crewed for who, and won here or there. Amazing lady. I never met her, but I feel like I have in reading her words.

Now Jan, don't rest in peace, fire up that bad ass car of Curtis Turner's up there and make some thunder, they'll show you around, Curtis, Joe, Fireball...

7. It is kinda wierd that I was thinking of her while going through the musuem at Lattimore this weekend at the showdown. How sad to turn on the computor this mourning and see that she is gone. I will definetly miss her on the Hamb.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My prayers and condolences to Jan's family and many friends:(

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

My heart sank when I read this because I too had thought of her a couple times over the weekend at the Showdown and especially in the museum.

When I first read her posts I didn't like her. She was very witty and straight forward. I finally figured out it wasn't that I didn't like her, I was just completely intimidated by her knowledge!

I feel awful to never have met her in person. She didn't live that far away from me. I figured we would meet up over the summer, have a burger and talk racing. Just another instance of 'someday I'll do it' rather than letting time slip away and never getting the chance to do it.

I don't think I have ever been affected by so much by the death of a person I only knew through the internet. I'm sorry there is no way for us to express our condolences but I agree with Jackbolt; the best way to honor her would be to think of her when you are at your local dirt track and see a Ford circle burner.

10. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

11. JeremyL

JeremyL

Rest in peace, Jan.

12. Shotrod64

Shotrod64
    from Tacoma, WA

I don't believe either of those are hers but the blue 599 with the brown ford pickup in the pic on one of the links is hers. One of her prospective projects. In fact it might be the one she had plans of driving this season even. She had one for sale listed here, not sure if it was the gremlin she had or what but she had 2 or 3 come and go as she decided on which one was "the one". I had a hard time keeping up with which project she was working on.

Ellwood (64 custom)was tucked away for winter and was going to get some attention soon if all had turned out differently. She was a busy lil bee for sure.

13. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I hope someone does know her last name, it would be great to make a contribution in her name to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing since there are no calling hours to send flowers or anything.

http://www.emmr.org/

14. Shotrod64

Shotrod64
    from Tacoma, WA

She'd probably love that knowing her. The last name was Games.

15. Lucky77

Lucky77

What a bummer:( You gotta love women who know their cars. Godspeed Jan.

16. Jan will be missed by us all, R.I.P.

17. 39Tudor

39Tudor

Rest In Peace Jan.

18. Shotrod64

Shotrod64
    from Tacoma, WA

19. john56h

john56h

Jan was quick to jump in and help make the Oval Track Modified thread a great success.

I crossed paths with her on many boards...she also went by GerryFan76 as she was a huge Gerald Chamberlain #76 fan (another faithful FORD oval racer). She always contributed thoughtful and productive threads that I valued and enjoyed.

I never met her person-to-person, but felt that she was a remarkable person and someone with a lot of character and integrity. She'll be sorely missed! :(

20. belair

belair

I enjoyed her straight-up posts. Another example of why we need to tell our friends how much they mean to us now instead of saying how much they used mean to us. And go see some one when they are on your mind. When that little voice say "call so & so", it's a good idea to listen.
    Godspeed, Jan.

21. Shotrod64

Shotrod64
    from Tacoma, WA

I'll do that later today, makes more sense to have done it that way than the way I did it.
    There are plans to make like a 'memory book' from all the posts from the different forums she was on and some pics etc to give to the family. But if you would like to present one exclusively from the HAMB that would be great also. I actually think it would even have more meaning so to speak as someone from the group itself too the time out to do such a thing. Someone that didn't even know the family and such you know. It's my opinion even that it would be more heartfelt or whatever the word may be.

Off to the vet now, think the dog ate another rock and will be needing surgery again. arrrrggghh

Deb

22. denracer

denracer

The stock car race shown was a PRA versus Canfield race back in the late 60s. There weren't Jan's cars. I've seen some pictures of her modified and her coupe and I'll have to look to see if I still have them. My paypal donation will be going out tomorrow. Let's see if we can help her and her family out. She was a real racer, through and through

23. One year has passed since we lost Jan. Think good thoughts.

24. Shotrod64

Shotrod64
    from Tacoma, WA

Hard to believe a year has passed already. Still miss her and think I'll ask Jan about some racing history or '64 galaxies and then it hits me she is no longer with us. :( Hope she's givin' them heck on the track on the other side. I can give her heck when we meet again.

25. Jackbolt

Jackbolt

Everytime I look at the vintage modified and stock car thread (daily), I think of Jan. She would have loved it!!!!!!!!!

26. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I thought about her over the weekend at the Showdown, I know that she'd LOVE that show!

27. john56h

john56h

Happy anirversary in "junkyard heaven" Jan. We miss you!