Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang II or Corvair IFS ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by death trap man, May 17, 2009.

1. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

I have a car that had an IFS put on it and seller said he thinks it is a Mustang II but wasn't sure. Is there an easy way to tell them apart? I looked at pics on the net and thy both look abut the same. Any pointers?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try: corvair.com to help compare frontends with. What year/ make is your car? How long ago was frontend installed?

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

put a pic up here and we can tell.

4. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

I was on there but couldn't see anything that made it stick out. And I have no idea how long ago it was done. The car is a mess witch isn't helping me out any eather. But thanks for the reply.

5. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

I'll be at the shop tomarrow and I'll get a pic, Thanks

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

M-II uses a rack ,Corvair has a steering box.

7. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

Mine Has a rack but I'm not sure it belongs to the rest of the set up. Some real sh!tty mounting brackets were made. Thanks for the post thow, all help is apreesiated.

8. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

There was a car in the shop Saturday with a Corvair front end with a For rack added. Supposedly the car drives great- just not the purdiest thing I've seen under a car ;)

9. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

Tell me about it, The IFS is on a '24 T, no fenders, UGH! I already have an axle for it just a few more pieces and it's going in. The more I think about it thow, I think this is how I end up with all this stuff, I must feel sorry for it and take it in like my dog he looks like a stray but I bought him :rolleyes:. I think somethngs wrong with me :confused:. :p

10. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

corvair susp has drum brakes and a bolt on cross member
    must II susp has very small disc brakes ,welded on crossmember

11. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

i only have the spindles no brakes or backing plates. I can't see were the crossmember would be bolted on, the rocket scientist who put this thing together must have liked picking random scraps of steel plate and stick welding them all over. Like I said it'a a mess :eek:. Thanks for the help thow!

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Not real sure, but the Corvair had front springs on the lower a-arms, Mustang II had springs on upper A-arm.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Back in the 60's the Corvair was quite popular. Tere were a few magazine articles about their use. It took quite a bit of work to get them "right". I put one in a '29 Model A sedan that wasevery bit as sanitary as the MII but it requires it to be pared downof some ugly bracketry, the substitution of Chevelle spindles and brakes, and the adaption of A-body ball joints. The Corvair ball joints were so flimsy they would wear out a set in a good summers driving. I adapted a Saab rack and pinion for a rear stear setup and the turning radius was spectacular after modifying the steering arms. A LOT of work to get it right, thank God for the MII setups we have available today.

Frank

14. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

This is the butt-ugly Corvair front end that resides under my Essex...

Attached Files: