Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y block External Oiler!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sonim38, May 16, 2009.

1. sonim38

sonim38

hey guys im looking for the kit to hook up to my yblock to get some more top end oil...without taking the heads off right now...i just want to drive it for a bit. anyone know where to get one, or have pics of one so i can make my own? thank!

2. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

3. krooser

krooser

Different deal Jeremy... he needs to find a kit to tap into his oil gallery to lube the rocker shafts....

4. Fidget

Fidget

Do you mean the copper oiler tubes that run on top of the rockers?

5. sonim38

sonim38

yep those liness

6. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

also check out the oil pumps from Precision Oil Pumps.I bought a new blue printed one from them for around $80 and have had good luck with it so far.No external tubes either.

7. norwich25336

norwich25336
    from Michigan

You can get everything you need at your local hardware or automotive store. Keep in mind, this is only a temp fix just like the universal battery clamps everyone seems to think is the cheap fix all instead of changing the whole cable.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try: ford-y-block.com

9. Ole don

Ole don

Clean out the top end with compressed air and carb cleaner. Unless it is completly pluged with sludge, they will usually flow OK with some work.

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

you can build it for less than $20. put a 'T' at the oil press gauge port on the block , run a copper tube up and tap in to the rocker shafts.

11. budd

budd

i have a home made setup on my 272, i would rather try and get the oil passages clean, i can take a few pics of my setup if you want.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The problem is (it was discussed in another thread) that just about the only way to clean the passage right is to pull the heads. The oil passage actually makes a change in direction right at the top of the block/bottom of the head.

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am a Y block user and I would not recommend doing that ! You will be robbing oil pressure from someplace else and that is not a good thing . You should have no problems with the original set up unless you have oil pressure problems from sludge clogging oil passages or a worn out oil pump. I have read about those kits that were made back then but I don't know anyone that will use them ! I know many Y block users and racers and they don't use them !
    Are you having problems with oil getting to the rockers ? If not why change it ?
    I have aver 130,000+ miles on my 272 and still have no problems with oiling !

14. slepe67

slepe67

post 'em up!

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

How can you not have an external pick-up tube ?
    You have an external oil pump , right !

16. budd

budd

ok heres my setup, it came this way i didnt do it, looks like they have screws to adjust the oil flow at the valvecover studs, they just t into the oil pressure gage fitting and then run a line to the drivers side head and they to the passenge side.

Attached Files:

17. I have a NOS "Rocker Arm Oiler Kit" just to show people what they used to do, I don't recamend it. If at all possable clean you oil passages.Take the rocker assemblies off the heads. Turn you oilpump with a 1/2" drive drill motor and a 1/4" socket till you have oil pressure, (If it is an old engine it may have a cross drilled cam) then turn the engine over slowly by hand till you get oil to come out of the feed hole in the head. if you get a good stream you may be able to disassemble the rocker shafts clean them and have no need for external oiling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

I was actually referring to anything extra(oiler kit).And yes I do have the stock set up with the pickup tube running from the external oil pump to the drivers side of the oil pan.but thanks for making me clarify.I was suggesting he get a better and new oil pump like I did.My oil pressure problems are over thanks to the pump I got at Precision Oil Pumps.:D

19. VectorGES

VectorGES
    from Conway, SC

I had a similar problem with an old sbc. The return line from the heads was plugged, so the oil would pump up, but some would pool under the valve cover and eventually get past the valve guides/. Over night was the worst since it would have lots of time to work its way into the cylinder and create a cloud. I took off the valve cover and used a very specialized mechanical engineers tool (a bent clothes hanger) and was able to dig the gunk out. I ran some Mystery Oil or some such in it for a short time, then oil and filter change. Ran for another 100,000 miles.

I would look after teh cause rather than try for a complicated work around.

20. Pull the rocker shafts. Tap the oil hole in the head for a grease zerk fitting. Fill a grease gun with oil and pump. this will work most of the time. OldWolf

21. A slightly different option is to fab a simple plate that bolts down to the head over the oil passage, with a hole in the appropriate location that is drilled/tapped and has a zerk installed in it. You can use grease or heavy oil in the grease gun, & chg. the oil & filter afterwards.

This keeps any possible shavings out of the engine...though if it's that sludged up already, shavings probably won't do too much more damage...:)

22. sonim38

sonim38

thanks for all the feedback guys. the motor had a alot of build up that i thought i took care of when i pulled it a few months back. i knew nothing of y blocks and didnt even stick a pipe cleaner in the oil holes. the motor runs and is in the car now. everythings hooked and id like to drive it this season and rebuild it the follwing year.i may try the grease fitting technique, but i also have made my own rocker oiler. i also spoke to an older hotrodder who exclusively worked on y blocks and he confirmed he put many of these kits on even when the motore were only 3-5 years old. my particular motor sat in alaska for 30 years, before making it to my driveway in jersey. haha, but it starts right up.
    -ryan