Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 292's! Well alrighty then...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '57 Ranchero, May 16, 2009.

1. '57 Ranchero

'57 Ranchero
    from Texas

Any of you guys familiar with the old "Y" blocks? I just bought a '57 Ranchero and am trying to decide whether to build the old 292 or to go with a 302 or possibly a SB Chevy. Any input would be appreciated! :D

2. since you asked for any input, i say stick with the 292

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

Am surprised there aren't already ten posts telling you if you go with a SBF or SBC, you should eat sh*t and die! The Y-Block guys are pretty strong in their belief there is never a good reason to swap one out.

Where are you located? If in the west, we'd be glad to build yours to whatever spec you want. PM me.

thnx, jack vines

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

First keep 292!
    As ya just got it,check it for being clean in side,cus what would kill the Y-block was drity oil and old crap getting into rocker oil line, Other wise they are strong old birds,pun in tenned:cool: I love-m

5. I couldn't post earlier, I was at El Mirage running our Y-Block. Keep the 292 you can do great things with it. :)

listen to this one! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-B0VgRE_8M&feature=channel_page

6. '57 Ranchero

'57 Ranchero
    from Texas

I'm really leaning on keeping the 292 but don't have a clue what can be done with it. I don't want a stroker, but a snappy street engine that performs well. If I want to smoke hell out of the tires and cruise at 90, I want the engine to be capable of it.

7. jdh6fan

jdh6fan
    from OK, USA

I recently purchased a 57 fairlane and faced the same dilema. I could either rebuild the old 312 or swap in a 390 (that too would need to be rebuilt). After studying and reading all the info on here (thanks to all of you) I decided to rebuild the y-block. Just need to find a nice 3x2 intake but I'll run the factory 4 brl till one comes along. So there is my vote for what little its worth.

8. Well, if you want to cruise that Ranchero at 90 you'd better pay a hell of a lot of attention to the suspension and brakes FIRST!
    Depending on the condition of the Y Block would be the decision maker. If it's sound and you can just add bolt on stuff like a manifold and carb, Distributor,a nd headers, I'd go that way.
    If it's tired I'd really think about a 351W with an AOD (Overdrive for your 90 MPH blasts). Cheaper to build and more speed equipment available at reasonable costs and ultimately more power.
    When Hell freezes over you can do the Chevy

9. havi

havi

I vote Y block!! Do some reading and research about these, and then decide.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Many of the guys I went to Fayetteville High School in NC with drove Y-block powered Fords and only the football player kid with the new 409 425HP 64 Impala could eat their lunch. Carolina was Ford Country then. Lafayette Ford and Fred Lorenzen on the NASCAR tracks.

11. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I'm a nothing but Chevy owner and I say....
    BUILD THE 292!!!

Y-blocks are the best looking FORD engine next to a dressed out flatty.

Marty McF.

12. krooser

krooser

do a search here for "y block"... pack a lunch while you read...

13. kustomkat

kustomkat

No big surprise, I vote for the Y-block, as well. Please fight the urge to go SBC, if you can...

14. vertible59

vertible59

Since this FNG is even considering a Chevy swap, I say sell the Ranchero to someone who REALLY cares about it.

15. Y Block, for sure they look great, sound better, and they aint that common...Yet.

Y blocks the New Flathead...:D

16. Next to napalm :eek: and a nice running flattie, there's nothing like the sound of a Yblock in the morning. . . . Your '57 was built for a Y, I think if you stick with it you'll have no regrets. Parts aren't that hard to find (yet), and they can perform pretty good too.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  17. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Had a 292 in my old 56 F100, I junked the stock cross-over type exhaust and fitted some headers...that thing ran great and pulled like a train....you gotta stick with the Y-block

18. BoulevardBomber

BoulevardBomber

There is a forum for Y block owners and they are real helpful, Y-BlocksForever, I am in the begining stages of a 56 f100 I just bought, and the y block sounds awesome, headers and glass packs sound mint.

19. candyman

candyman

I vote for the Y-block. Check out Mummert's Y-block page. You can get some serious whoopty doo out of a Y-block.

20. Y-block. When you add the cost of adapters, new motor mounts, maybe a tranny and driveline change, new radiator, exhaust etc. the cost of the y-block will be less anyway. Plus, if you ever sell it, you won't kill the deal for the true blue Ford fans.

21. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I'm a Chevy & Studebaker guy but I love a nicely dressed out Y-block. Find a copy of the November 2008 Hot Rod Deluxe, go to page 76. Check it out and then ask yourself why you would want anything else in a mid to late 50's Ford.

22. RAY With

RAY With

This is a no brainer. The 292 will burn the tires off and run all day on the hiway at 100 and get you all the tickets you can possibly pay.You will pay a little more for the speed stuff but its worth the $$$ in the long run and when showing your ride with the hood up it wont be the boreing SBC crap and folks will actually take a second-third look.

23. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

And the best sounding ones too. (Next to a flathead.) Add a set of glasspacks and duals and you won't regret the Y-Block.

The downfall to them (as well as to any non-mainstream engine) is the HP per dollar ratio. Its going to cost you a hell of alot more to go fast in a Y-block than in something like an SBF.

That being said, I still vote the Y-block. Just drive the speed limit.

24. harley man

harley man

Y-BLOCK Had one in a 58 Ranchero.It was a great engine.Then there is the sound Sweeeet.

25. Since you asked............keep the 'Y'. If you must have more power, a FE almost bolts in and they aren't all that hard to find.
    Post a few pics of the project.

26. Philbilly

Philbilly

As everybody else already said, Keep the Y-Block. They look cool and sound great.

27. twochops

twochops

They do look GOOD dressed up

Attached Files:

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I now wish I kept the Y block in my 55 sunliner,I installed a 351-w and will be soon looking for a 292 to put in it so I vote to keep the Y block. Those Y blocks are torquey motors and modern stock small blocks dont have what they got.

29. 38_ford

38_ford
    from wa

Keep the Y-block. killer motor. im building a 292 right now. their not reallt all that expensive to build. of corse nothing is as cheep as a sbc