Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chicken Hawk destroyed in racing mishap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jessie J., May 10, 2009.

1. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

the car DOES run quarter times...they were running eigth that night do to high cross winds

2. moTthediesel

moTthediesel

So sorry to hear about this. I bought his DIY turbo charger book a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it, he sounds like a v. cool guy.

I've owned my project car (not HAMB friendly) for almost 30 years and I think I know a little bit about how sad he must feel about writing off that Stude :(

Our best wishes to him for a speedy and complete recovery --

3. the shadow

the shadow

I hope he has a speedy recovery, yes that rol cage did it's job!!!

If he had that same senerio happen during a 1/4 mile run with a higher velocity he may not have been so lucky. just goes to show you bad wrecks happen to everyone at any speed not just top fuel & funny car guys going 300+ mph. be carefull out there guys and always take the proper saftey precations you only live once so make it last.

Paul

4. Speedy recovery to you Ted. I bought parts for my 289 from him several years ago, nice guy to talk to.
    Sad to see the Chicken Hawk destroyed, but the man and his passion will live on.

5. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Man, that sucks. That was a sweet car. I sure hope Ted will be alright.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

There are pics and more details on Racing Studebakers website for those interested.

7. may chicken hawk rest in peace. ted have a speedy recovery!

8. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I hope i live to be 74.I hope Ted has a speedy recovery.Too bad about the car but it lived a glorious life thanks to Ted.

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Man, that's terrible, I hope the old coot gets better, those old codgers are the greatest.

10. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Here's prayers towards a speedy recovery.Man,he's gotta be tough as nails.

11. i 2nd that emotion.the chicken hawk perrished inthe same manner as it lived.when you lose a car that you've had for that long it's gotta be like losing a friend. all of us stude guys are praying for your speedy recovery ted, and can't wait to see your NEXT car!

12. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

A little older than some here, I was only a 13 year old kid when Ted had his first Nationals win with the Chicken Hawk in 1962. I carried that Hot Rod magazine with his and the Chicken Hawk's picture to school with me hundreds of times, and every new friend I have ever made, has soon enough heard about the amazing Ted Harbit and the Chicken Hawk.
    It has been Ted's exploits, more than any other, that has kept my Studebaker enthusiasim and dreams alive for these last 47 years.
    One of my biggest thrills, have been those times I when I have taken friends and family along to the PSMCDs at Mid-Michigan Motorplex. Ted has never failed to bring the entire stands to their feet, applauding his outstanding performance with his 'Pure Stock' R-2 engined 'Stude Tomato', blowing away many of the '60s most renowned 'Muscle Cars'.
    You can bet, that though Ted may be down for a bit, he is far from being out.
    Just want to use this opportunity to publicly say to a great guy, and my long-time hero, Thanks Ted.

13. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

Chicken Hawk ended up at the base of the scoreboards.

Attached Files:

14. Oh mercy, look at that car. Beaten but Tough like a Chicken Hawk! Unbelieveable. Speedy Recovery Mr. Ted.

15. Lstude

Lstude

I am glad that Ted is alive, but sad about the Chicken Hawk.

[​IMG]

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Wow. That car was so awesome it even overwhelmed the scoreboard.

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, the score board looks as bad as the car. Hope Ted is feeling better.

18. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Ted got home Friday. His son posted over at Racing Studebakers that a turbo oil line blew laying down oil under the tires. What everyone reported as connecting rods sticking out of the oil pan was actually the bellcrank for the steering linkage which got shoved into the pan and then broke off.

19. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

this is the latest from the studebaker forums

This is the latest from Missy Rust as to what happened to the Chicken Hawk. It may seem a little confusing because Missy typed a report from Fred Robinson and Larry Geoffenit after Fred and Larry inspected the car on Ted's truck in Ted's building. Ted added his own remarks, which are highlighted in CAPS RED. [​IMG]BP

Hello All: Dad [Ted] is feeling worse than he did at the hospital and is unable to type. He wants everyone to know what was learned about the accident, since there have been multiple theories. Fred Robinson and Larry Geoffenit spent some time looking over the car. Dad made it out to see it and...it was very emotional. This is what was discovered: I DIDN'T GO OUT WITH FRED AND LARRY AS I JUST DIDN'T FEEL UP TO IT.

The engine did NOT break. The oil line to the turbo charger on the right side broke and dumped oil that caused the back right tire to spin the car. (He did not tell me to write this, but I believe it should be clear that the engine "broke" AFTER the accident, though. I'm mechanically-challenged, so that may not be the correct terminology.) MISSY GOT THIS FROM FRED WHEN THEY CAME BACK INTO THE HOUSE FROM LOOKING THE CAR OVER.

The connecting rod did NOT come out of the oil pan. Instead, the steering bell crank broke off and was shoved through the pan from the outside. The end of the bell crank is what some saw and reported otherwise. AS FAR AS I KNOW THIS IS THE CORRECT STORY AS FRED AND LARRY SPENT QUITE A WHILE LOOKING IT OVER. IT IS POSSIBLE THE OIL LINE GOT RIPPED OFF DURING THE WRECK BUT THEY FEEL SURE A ROD DID NOT COME OUT.

THE OIL FILTER IS IN THE STOCK LOCATION AND I HAVE A SYSTEM 1 FILTER WHICH IS A METAL CAN WITH A FINE SCREEN INSIDE TO FILTER. I DO HAVE A LINE TAPPED INTO THE FILTER BLOCK THAT BOLTS TO THE ENGINE TO FEED OIL TO THE TURBOS.

AS FAR AS I KNOW THE ENGINE NEVER DID LOCK UP AND WAS STILL RUNNING AS IT HIT THE GUARD RAIL. WON'T KNOW ANYTHING 100% UNTIL MONTHS LATER AS IT IS GOING TO BE A WHALE OF A JOB GETTING IT APART. IT IS SUCH A MANGLED MESS IT IS DIFFICULT TO SEE ANYTHING FOR SURE OTHER THAN IT IS DESTROYED. (s) TED

This may be copied to any other newsgroup or board. I know there are all kinds of discussions on the SDC, H.A.M.B., V8 sites, etc. I don't have all the codes and passwords to post on all of them, so this is just easier.

Blessings,
    Missy Harbit Rust

20. All things must end. We all have our time and place coming. What a fitting place for the ChickenHawk's "TIME". God's Best to you, Ted, and heal well. You are such an inspiration![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  21. Hope you recover and get well..

Attached Files:

22. I hope Ted healls up all right. For most of us Stude guys, he is what we aspired to. Chicken Hawk was the what I used to get one up on all the Chevy and Ford guys and their fast cars. A Chicken Hawk can be built again, but not a Ted Harbit.

23. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

24. RAY With

RAY With

No doubt looking at the remains he took a hell of a ride. Glad he is well on the road to recovery.

25. Per the last article I saw on The Chicken Hawk that "last ride" was on a stock bench seat too!:eek:

26. prism

prism
    from USA

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  27. prism

prism
    from USA

I should also note that I shared these with Ted. He was glad to be able to see them and some of the shots were used in Hot Rod Magazine, a few years back, they had run a feature on his car and his accomplishments with it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  28. Greetings from Fairmount.
    I'd like to mention after seeing these photos that were posted in 2010 that Ted is still up and moving. I see him out at his place often working on his cars.

Dave

Hotdoggin DaddyO and KoolKat-57 like this.