Register now to get rid of these ads!

why the hell would someone scrap a souped up flat head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52style, May 15, 2009.

1. 52style

52style

i dont know much about flatheads other than i like them and my purpose of posting this is nothing other than to vent on the stupidity of people

well more like a person i know

ok here it is my 52 i have i was curios to a little of the history of it

the guy who found me my car is a guy that comes to my work for scrap metal

well today i seen him and started to ask a liitle about it ive really been curios to the strange motor mounts welded to the frame and why the hell
    someone had put a 12 bolt rear end under the leafs making the car sit up in the air like a stink bug

so i ask what motor was in this car so he tells me it was an old flat head
    so i start inquring about the wherabouts of this motor and he starts to him and haw and quickly avoids the subject

so i look him in the eye and ask him did you f@#king scrap that motor ???

he nods then his wife chimes in about it having alot of aluminum parts on it and thay needed the money

from what im gathering from the little info i pried out of this ass

is that he scrapped an old school souped up flat head

for pennies

ok now that ive got this off my chest thanks for listening to my rant

2. Austin296

Austin296

thats a damn shame

3. You should have told his wife that you'd have given them a couple hundred bucks just for the heads off it. He might not remember that in the future, but she will.

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm callin' Bullshit. NOBODY would scrap a flathead Ford with "All those Aluminum parts on it" Come on.... Even the Dufus at the scrapyard would set that one aside. Really?

5. No, they would, you wouldn't believe some of the things I saw ruined for scrap metal.

6. 52style

52style

id call bullshit to ussally but if you been down here in central texas youd be suprised what these podunk mo fo's will do for beer money

this is truly the story i heard today monday morning i will be on the phone with the scrap yard to see if this thing is still hanging around 6 months later

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

i'm afraid i have to agree!

8. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

a flathead in a 52 chevy??????????????????????????????? duh what? did i miss something? why would a 12 bolt rear make a car ride high? just want to know.

9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

ME TOO!!! :cool:

10. death trap man

death trap man
    from Atco NJ

I know all kinds of rare/cool stuff gets scraped on a regular basis. If I worked at a scrap yard I'd be tring to save everything, I already save way to much junk.

11. 52style

52style

the 12 bolt was flipped under the leaf springs

12. rick finch

rick finch

Dude, are you saying your 52 Chevy had a Ford flathead in it? I think the French word is BULLSHITOE!!!!!!!

13. About 10 years ago a fellow club members shop was broken into when he was on vacation,,at the nationals to be exact,,,and they stole 40 years worth of flathead aluminum heads and intakes,,some were very rare,William was an avid collector of anything Ford,,,but dearly loved the ol flattys.

About 4 years ago his son caught 2 crack heads steeling aluminum wheels from one of his barns and the police seems to think these were the guys that had hit several shops in the area over the years.

He never recovered a single piece of the missing flathead parts and always believed the two drug addicts were the guys who stole the parts and sold them scrap.

The scrap dealer told the police that he had been doing business with these two guys for years,,,they told him the had a junk yard full of old junk,,,the dealer never checked their story and scraped auto parts all the time! HRP

14. 52style

52style

this is just what im being told tommorow when its light out ill go take a pic of the motor mounts ill let you guys tell me what motor would of sat on them .......

then will Know for sure

15. vertible59

vertible59

Why not? Way too many Fords have had the Bowtie stuffed down their engine bays!

16. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

i go to scrap yard every few weeks and have a look see throw the piles find all kinds of kewl stuff and usually get it for price of scrap

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Why?
    He probably got tired of all the dumb questions.:rolleyes:

18. dentprone

dentprone

I buy it, you wouldn't believe what the methheads around here scrap for money. I have chased 'em down many times to buy something cool off their trucks.

19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

How would you like to find a set of crushed origional Halibrands sitting next to a huge pile of crushed aluminum wheels!"Don't know what kind of potmetal those are but they ain't luminum"I think some long time junkers get numb to what stuff is !I don't know how many times I've been told "Ain't got time to save all that shit "

20. It doesn't surprise me.Back in the 70s I used to buy most of my speed equipment in junkyards.Once these hot rod motors quit running just right a lot of non mechanical types just get rid of them.I have bought 3 separate 3x2 setups for Fords out of scrap yards.What is sad is if the yard operator is too dumb to realize what he could sell them for instead of scrapping them.

21. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

Ive bought 97s 94s, alum heads and intakes, Quickchanges, Complete flatmotors, tunnelrams, vette valve covers, and everything in between. When you need some crack or meth its amazing what people will scrap!

22. Yeah, too bad it went for scrap. Won't get into a chevy with a ford in it, it doesn't matter. But I've seen & heard a lot of stories 'bout stuff that gets scrapped. People tire of keeping stuff & don't want to mess with "maybe I can sell it for a lot", then end up with a full garage, waiting to make a killing off it. Had a friend worked a garbage packer. AMAZING how much "junk" he pulled off the truck & took home to re-sell. Antiques, old photo albums, tools...you name it. All from people who for one reason or another considered it worthless.

23. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

times are ruff some people have to do what ever they need to do to get money. they may not have thought that anyone else would considering buying it. there was some flat head parts at an auction around here (i missed out on going) that some one bought for scrap i was told too. dam shame

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I see it pretty often actually. Nice cars going to scrap. I've seen hot rods crushed. The guys at the yard don't care. Neither do the scrappers.

25. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

crack heads will steal any thing aluminum or copper

26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Scrappers are low on my list. I figure spreading hot rod gospel is a lot like sex education... the more you educate the masses, the less stupid mistakes will happen in the future.

27. whatever

whatever

i love scrapping its paid for alot parts for my cars over the years lol nothing old though

28. smarg

smarg

just what the hot rod world needed another flathead missing from the world thats a damn shame

29. repoguy

repoguy

You know, some of you guys act like everyone knows what a flathead is...and nothing could be further from the truth.

If a built flathead was sitting on a stand, I bet one in twenty people would be able to i.d. it, and even fewer would know what it's worth.

Just because we value them doesn't mean everyone does.

30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I get a kick out these threads only because 1/10 of the population cares about this stuff(the 1/10 is us)the rest of the world see it as junk.In 1976-77 I was buying 454 SS Chevelles for $500 for winter beaters.440 'Cuda's were same money.They were beaters back then...rusty and beat to hell.Thats what most folks did,buy 'em...beat 'em,scrap 'em.Flattie stuff was around and worthless.It wasnt until the last few years that the flathead made a comeback.There has always been a faithful core but today the ranks have swelled.DeSoto and Dodge Hemi's are the same deal.10 years ago you couldn't give them away...today there is interest.
    Here is a bigger kicker.Bet a donut 90% of the members have tossed out a non-automotive piece that was worth more than the flattie.Cleaning out Grandma's house or somebodies pile of crap that was collected over the years.Ya cant save it all and ya cant make someone else save it either.
    Last note.30 years ago there were 3 custom '49-50 Fords in a yard by me.Leaded seams,shaved and decked,frenched antennaes etc etc.Sat there for years...nobody wanted them.They went to the crusher in the '80's.