Register now to get rid of these ads!

slant 6 help....not hamb approved car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by makgreens, May 15, 2009.

1. makgreens

makgreens

well i know its not a hamb friendly car but i need some serious help
    well heres a list of brand new parts

plugs
    plug wires
    ignition control module
    distributor
    rotor button
    cap
    coil
    ballast

im getting spark somewhat but no fire!
    starter turns,fan turns,but engine doesnt fire
    the carb is getting gas and everything
    im going insane trying to figure this out
    ive spent the better part of 2 days trying to get this thing to run and its just not happening

and ive heard this car run before so i have no idea why its doing this

2. makgreens

makgreens

forgot the question

what else could be going on that would make this engine not fire?

3. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

are you sure you have the distributor in right? Is it even trying to start? Any popping out the intake or anything like that?

4. makgreens

makgreens

\

yes and no

it wasssss running 2 weeks ago
    ran out of gas(so the guy thought)...i cranked it once about a week ago and it fired right up
    then 3 days ago i go to start it...nothing...add gas...nothing
    next day get a buddy to come help with it and we start running down the possible culprits...
    plugs were definately bad..changed those
    still nothing
    changed the rotor button and cap and coil...nothing
    then i replaced everything else

it makes no sense at allllll

5. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

Is the Dist. turning? some had a plastic gear that would shear, or a roll pin that would if memory serves

6. makgreens

makgreens

i have spark....shouldnt i not have spark if the dist is messed up....and i checked it its in right

7. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

if the car has eletronic ignition, replace the "box".. I had that problem on a Slant. They are kinda fragile.

- Joe

8. makgreens

makgreens

i did...the the module
    stupid POS
    i knew this car was to good to be true

9. Did you use an aftermarket (Wells, etc) box instead of a Mopar one?
    The "chrome" boxes I've bought at Murrays (now Oreillys) etc are crap.
    Get a mopar box (orange, at the least) and try that.
    Just because you are getting spark doesn't mean it's timed right, either. Is the engine hi mileage? Maybe timing chain? Have you tried to squirt brake kleen or something flammable in the carb then crank?

JK

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  10. makgreens

makgreens

you mean change the volt regulator?

11. makgreens

makgreens

did u mean change the volt regulator?

12. No, the ignition box.
    If you stick with the "factory" parts, there are the "black" box (stock) the orange box (hi perf) and the "chrome" box (supposedly really hi perf).
    My luck has been with the "orange" box, the chrome box and the aftermarket boxes just don't seem to work. Of course, your mileage may vary, but that's been my experience.
    With 79 K, I'd maybe be looking at the timing chain too. The newest slant was built in, what, 86? That means it's at least 23 years old... worth checking into.
    Don't give up yet! I had a 79 Volare "Duster" that sounded like a typewriter... sold it to a buddy and him and his sister drove it for another 5 years... amazing what a valve adjustment will do. ;)
    JK

13. makgreens

makgreens

well i know my deal with the owner is going to change
    im not paying him 1300 plus my 75 chevy
    ive already spent 200 on parts
    and if i replace the timimng chain thatll tip my patience scale haha

14. dentprone

dentprone

Have you ruled out fuel system problem yet? I would make sure that fuel is getting up to the carb. My 318 is a pain in the ass to get primed if I run it out of gas.

15. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

This is gonna sound dumb, but check the oil. I had a '65 Dodge p/u with a slant 6 in it when I was 16. It ran out of oil one day (burned a whole lot more of it than I thought)and just died like it was out of gas. It would crank like crazy but it wouldn't fire. An older friend checked the oil and it wasn't even reading on the dipstick. I filled it back up and it fired up right away. Stupid, but true.

16. makgreens

makgreens

its getting gas.....i think ive checked it 5 times now hoping thats what the problem is
    but it wont even start on ether

17. makgreens

makgreens

yeah i tried that one too.....even went as far as changing the oil
    and still natta

18. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I don't know what year your talking about but I do know that the slant six was good for stripping the plastic timing gear on start up when they went you could tell when they were close because you would run out of timing slot on the distributor.I would suspect the timing chain and gears on any slant six also that stupid "balast resistor" on the fire wall the white ceramic thing they loved to cook if you got them wet

19. makgreens

makgreens

i think im going to look into replacing the timing chain
    if that doesnt do it.....ill just blow it up

20. makgreens

makgreens

it has spark!i found that out the hard way about 5 minutes ago...hurt like hell
    compression is a go
    primed the carb
    dont have a timing light(broke in my recent move)...have to borrow one i spose

tried to start it again...its spun like normal then made a thud...then tried to to spin again....

21. Sinner

Sinner

You could pull the valve cover and see if the rockers are moving while it's cranking.
    It would also be a good time to adjust the valves.

22. zzford

zzford

Set the crank to TDC on #1 cylinder. Pull the valve cover off. Check the intake and exhaust rocker arms for #1 cylinder, see if those valves are closed. Pull the cap off the distributer, check to see if the rotor is pointing at the # 1 plug wire position. If any of these are off, you probably have a timing chain problem.

23. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

My old truck did this same thing when I blew the head gasket and it started hydro-locking.Cylinders filled with coolant and shit and it would crank and crank and crank but never fire.Bu8t,I would start with doing the whole timing deal.Crank your motor to top dead center(you can do this without the valve cover off I think,just realize you might get oil on ya.Once at top dead center,pull your cap and make sure the rotor is pointing at the number 1,then do your firing order accordingly.If none of that works,make sure your gas is good(Trust me,when gas goes bad your motor doesn't want to start for shit).

Hopefully it's one of those two.

24. speeddemon2393

speeddemon2393
    from tuscon

real quick,check your condesor it attaches to the dist. also your take a piece of sandpaper and sand where your ecu bolts to the firewall sometimes if the chassis ground is no good it messes with area.

25. badlefihand

badlefihand

You have spark and fuel.No doubt the plugs are wet and your distrib is in wrong or you have stripped timing gear.If spark is there and is strong than forget about ign components,gas is there,than forget about that unless it is flooding and running into oil pan.Those things would start and run on 4 cyl. Dry it out, check distrib timing,if ok, than dig your tools out.

26. 58Darlene

58Darlene

I had this problem with my car, I had spark, gas and everything tried to go but wouldn't. Try the points, in the distributor. I spent two days trying to get the car to run and my neighbor came over adjusted the points and it started on the first try.

27. Ballast resistor. I always carry a spare.

28. Replace the Ballast Resistor. I always carry a spare for Mopars.

29. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

Replace the Condensor, It can short out the spark. Cheap to replace. If still no good spark, Replace the coil with another one. Even though it is new, it may not be good.
    My Opinion. Had same problem in past.