Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can air bag compressors be rebuilt or repaired?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomd, May 15, 2009.

1. kustomd

kustomd

I have a viair 380 compressor that quit pumping air past about 20psi so I tore it down and found that the teflon ring in the cylinder was cracked plus the cylinder is scored a bit.

Does anyone stock rebuild parts for these compressors? I want to use this as a back up for my 54 chevy.

Anyone know where I could find info on rebuilding this viair compressor? I just need the ring and if they sell new cylinder jugs I'd probably buy a new one of them also since this one is scored a little but I might could hone it out a bit to fix it maybe.

any help would be appreciated.

2. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Dont think viair sell parts for rebuild. Try to match the ring at your local auto or hardware store. By the way air zenith (AZ) pumps are totally rebuildable. Or so I am told. Zenith are super fast too!

3. BAD*56*BUICK

BAD*56*BUICK

the new AZ compressors are real good so far. i have a friend that works on a lot of stuff for AZ and like what we have seen from them. 1 AZ can do what 2 viar 380's can. and they are rebuildable.

4. KOTC

KOTC

for the cost of a new one you can upgrade while youre at it, its cost efficient to buy a new one.

5. kustomd

kustomd

I'm planning on buying two new compressors for my car I just was wondering about the parts so I could have this one as a back up in case something happened but its not a big deal. It may just become a paper weight.

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

they are rebuildable just call Viar...

im assuming you were running them higher PSI than rated? this is the normal reason for them breaking

7. kustomd

kustomd

I didn't run it. it was messed up when I got it I just wanna fix it.